GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:07   #21
GlockinNJ

I got cci alum 9mm for 12.99 online about 2 weeks ago and they also had cci brass for 13.99. I think it was Palmetto.

It comes in and out of stock, so be patient and check back often.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10   #22
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
MSims,

Even though it may seem "late in the game" to get into reloading, I feel it is never too late to start. Sure it is going to take some time & investment but one year (or less) from now you will have learned a skill and perhaps an ample supply of ammunition that will keep you from ever seeing yourself in this situation again.

Just my 2 cents.
I wouldn't reload 9mm on a bet.

When this stupidity is over and 9mm goes back to $11 box from Walmart, I wouldn't waste my time or my primers on it to save a couple of dollars.

I guess if you shoot lead you can get away with it financially , but only jacketed for me. I give a crap about my lungs too much.

For other calibers yes but again I wouldn't waste my primers on 9mm

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 02-11-2013 at 08:11..
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36   #23
PhotoFeller

We are behaving very predictably. The result is a temporary shortfall in supply and a temporary fly up in prices. Consumer panic has extraordinary consequences.

Once the panic subsides, ammo supplies and prices will return to normal.

I went to a gun show yesterday where ammo and magazine prices were higher than I ever remember seeing them. It was the second day, and 9mm ammo was almost non-existent. I found .40 and .45 in case lots, but I didn't recognize the brand. I couldn't even find 9mm snap caps because they were sold out.

I started to feel the panic set into my own gut, so I called time out and had a cup of coffee to settle down. The panic IS contagious and we are 'shooting ourselves in the foot'. Have a cup of joe and relax.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-11-2013 at 08:40..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05   #24
Kentguy

RYT 2BER... "I wouldn't reload 9mm on a bet... For other calibers yes but again I wouldn't waste my primers on 9mm."

Perhaps not for you but for someone who is just starting out, there is no other caliber on the market today with as much components and reloading data as there is with 9mm. If you are going to learn (and of course you have a 9mm), this is without a doubt the place you want to start.

As I stated earlier, I can make a box of 50, 9mm for $7, and I can make them the way I want for my purposes. However if you are just going to your local range and blowing holes in paper, I guess I can see you point... "I wouldn't waste my time or my primers on it to save a couple of dollars."

I am by no means a poor man, but I don't like throwing my money away either. I shoot up to 1,000 rounds of 9mm a week during the competition season. For me - 1,000 rounds @ $11.00/box = $220, as apposed to 1,000 rounds @ $7/box = $140. For the $80 a week I'm not spending @ WallMart, I'm spending on more components for other calibers to reload.

The hobby of reloading is always about making custom made ammo for you and your guns and of course saving money in the long run. I certainly respect your opinion, but when it comes to someone just starting out... I just disagree.

Thanks for your opinion and the feed back, good luck and be safe out there.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34   #25
A6Gator

The great thing about reloading is that you can tune the round to your guns. And, if you shoot competitively, or just shoot alot, it costs about half for ammo. Not saying you save that, because you end up shooting twice as much...

If you shoot outdoors (or in a decently ventilated indoor range), I think the lead buildup thing is mitigated.
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48   #26
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
RYT 2BER... "I wouldn't reload 9mm on a bet... For other calibers yes but again I wouldn't waste my primers on 9mm."

Perhaps not for you but for someone who is just starting out, there is no other caliber on the market today with as much components and reloading data as there is with 9mm. If you are going to learn (and of course you have a 9mm), this is without a doubt the place you want to start.

As I stated earlier, I can make a box of 50, 9mm for $7, and I can make them the way I want for my purposes. However if you are just going to your local range and blowing holes in paper, I guess I can see you point... "I wouldn't waste my time or my primers on it to save a couple of dollars."

I am by no means a poor man, but I don't like throwing my money away either. I shoot up to 1,000 rounds of 9mm a week during the competition season. For me - 1,000 rounds @ $11.00/box = $220, as apposed to 1,000 rounds @ $7/box = $140. For the $80 a week I'm not spending @ WallMart, I'm spending on more components for other calibers to reload.

The hobby of reloading is always about making custom made ammo for you and your guns and of course saving money in the long run. I certainly respect your opinion, but when it comes to someone just starting out... I just disagree.

Thanks for your opinion and the feed back, good luck and be safe out there.
Nice response. For you and many others, loading ammo is fun and therapeutic in addition to being cost effective. Guys I know who shoot large caliber rifles a lot at the range and for hunting often say hand loading is an enjoyable part of the sport; saving money is only part of the attraction.

I also know folks who brew beer, make wine, build furniture and have other pastimes to decompress as well as save a few bucks. I've been thinkin' about reloading for a long time; I bought the books and shop the equipment. Maybe someday.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-11-2013 at 10:02..
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43   #27
Kentguy

PhotoFeller "... to decompress..."

I could not agree with you more!

As for yourself - If for no other reason than the one posted above, it will be worth all your time and effort.

I have been doing this for quite a number of years now and I can tell you that to clear the mind, nothing beats some reloading time in the shop... well... Ok maybe I can think of 1 or 2 others, but I think you get my drift.
Old 02-11-2013, 20:29   #28
SargeMO

I have an affinity for the 7.62×39 cartridge and the rifles that shoot it. The cartridge is model of design efficiency that gives near 30-30 performance in a compact, easy-feeding package. For decades, it was widely available at prices so low that reloading was out of the question. I can clearly recall buying 20 round boxes of Norinco Chinese FMJ for under a dime a shot; softpoint was marginally more, but still ridiculously cheap. As a wider variety of FMJ and hunting loads became available the price climbed a little. After the 2009 insanity, the price climbed more and in late 2012 I paid $4.99 for Tula FMJ and grumbled, but only a little because it held under 2 MOA in my Romanian AK clone.

At this moment, you can’t find 7.63×39 Tula locally or online. In January I saw Tula FMJ at the Stover, MO Gun Show priced at TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS per box. I’ve seen Tapco AK mags, which I paid $9.00 for in November, priced at FORTY FIVE DOLLARS each at a stocking retailer in the same area. I love the gun and cartridge, but I will not pay scalper prices to keep shooting it. When the ammo becomes as expensive as 30-30 ammo, I’ll go right back to using my Model 94 for everything.

The Gun & Ammo Famine of 2013
Internet Discussion Forums are a hotbed of Retargument.
SargeMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:27   #29
clinttho

Anyone else see ths from GUNS AND AMMO?

S&W: Running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.

RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.

FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1.

Remington: Maxed out!

Armalite: Maxed out.

DPMS: Can’t get enough parts to produce any more product.

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly…bottle necked by lack of bolt carrier’s.

LWRC: Making only black guns, running at full capacity…can’t get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.

Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/over 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.

MAGPUL: Behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.

RELOADERS: ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra’s for reloading purposes… it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we’ll keep you posted…

---

Every caliber is now allocated? Maybe this is old news or unsurprising, but it sounds like no steady ammo supply til 2013. That's bad...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by clinttho; 02-11-2013 at 21:34..
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 00:16   #30
Kentguy

clinttho,

Sad but true. This is the world we now live in.

This should be a real hard lesson for those who got caught unprepared even for those of us who have supplies on the shelf.

If (and/or when) ammo and supplies begin returning to the shelves, make darn well sure that you never get caught with your (excuse the expression) pants down again.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11   #31
clinttho

Yeah, I made sure to stock up on 223, 9 and 40 before the election as everyone knew there was going to be a run on those. In my area, there was kind of a run on 223 last summer after the Colorado shooting, before this madness. I have enough to shoot for a year or so, but what concerns me is not being able to replenish that supply. I did not forsee 22lr, 38, 380, etc disappearing so fast. It also sounds like primers and bullets will not be available anywhere, at all, until supply of factory ammo is steady.

Everyone locally is raising their prices. 16-17 for a box of 50 9mm now, 23-24 for a box of 50 .40 or .38, even more for 45. I suspect these prices will stay up for at least awhile after the shelves are full. I'm expecting 223 prices will be at least 30-40% more than what they were in 2012 once the dust settles but I hope I'm wrong.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:41   #32
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinttho View Post
Yeah, I made sure to stock up on 223, 9 and 40 before the election as everyone knew there was going to be a run on those. In my area, there was kind of a run on 223 last summer after the Colorado shooting, before this madness. I have enough to shoot for a year or so, but what concerns me is not being able to replenish that supply. I did not forsee 22lr, 38, 380, etc disappearing so fast. It also sounds like primers and bullets will not be available anywhere, at all, until supply of factory ammo is steady.

Everyone locally is raising their prices. 16-17 for a box of 50 9mm now, 23-24 for a box of 50 .40 or .38, even more for 45. I suspect these prices will stay up for at least awhile after the shelves are full. I'm expecting 223 prices will be at least 30-40% more than what they were in 2012 once the dust settles but I hope I'm wrong.

Same old story - more demand equals higher prices.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20   #33
clinttho

Indeed. I'm wondering if prices will remain at their peak once supply catches up with demand. When shelves are stocked again and everything is available, again. I forsee prices going up more the longer there is a drought.

Old 02-12-2013, 13:06   #34
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Indeed. I'm wondering if prices will remain at their peak once supply catches up with demand. When shelves are stocked again and everything is available, again. I forsee prices going up more the longer there is a drought.

You are right - the prices will rise big time. I am so glad that I reload.
Old 02-12-2013, 13:28   #35
PhotoFeller

If our active involvement in Afganastan is, in fact, phasing out, it seems ammo production capacity should be freed up for civilian products.

American manufacturers will maintain production capacity consistent with their assessment of long term demand. The spikes in demand brought about by politically-driven panic are likely viewed by Winchester, Remington, Federal and others as temporary. After the dust settles later this year or next, and after the hoarders fill their 5,000-10,000 round inventory levels, supply and prices should be better. As long as we keep buying ammo as fast as they can make it, don't expect conditions to improve.

Remember, they will charge whatever we are willing to pay.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-12-2013 at 13:31..
Old 02-12-2013, 13:42   #36
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
If our active involvement in Afganastan is, in fact, phasing out, it seems ammo production capacity should be freed up for civilian products.

American manufacturers will maintain production capacity consistent with their assessment of long term demand. The spikes in demand brought about by politically-driven panic are likely viewed by Winchester, Remington, Federal and others as temporary. After the dust settles later this year or next, and after the hoarders fill their 5,000-10,000 round inventory levels, supply and prices should be better. As long as we keep buying ammo as fast as they can make it, don't expect conditions to improve.

Remember, they will charge whatever we are willing to pay.
Well the events of the past year has taught me to BE a hoarder.
Old 02-12-2013, 14:15   #37
GlockinNJ

Quote:

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/over 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.

RELOADERS: ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra’s for reloading purposes… it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we’ll keep you posted…

---

Every caliber is now allocated? Maybe this is old news or unsurprising, but it sounds like no steady ammo supply til 2013. That's bad...
OK, fine. That all makes sense for centerfire ammo, but what about rimfire? That's also really hard to get and I assume it has little or no military or LEO consumption. And no primers required. Why is .22 LR as hard to find as 9mm?
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:52   #38
clinttho

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockinNJ View Post
OK, fine. That all makes sense for centerfire ammo, but what about rimfire? That's also really hard to get and I assume it has little or no military or LEO consumption. And no primers required. Why is .22 LR as hard to find as 9mm?
22lr is hard to get now is because most gun owners have a 22, so it's extremely popular and high in demand. It is something everyone wants more of right now, along with 9mm and 223. I'd hope the ammo makers ramp up rimfire production but the bulk of their sales have traditionally been LE/military so I'm sure they are putting a priority on center fire ammo. As far as it not having a primer thats correct but there is priming in the rim, how much difference there is manufacturing speed/ease I don't know.

Edit: from all reports I read the ammo manufacturers are at 100% production capacity so I doubt there will be much of an increase or "ramp up" in producing anything.

Last edited by clinttho; 02-12-2013 at 14:56..
Old 02-12-2013, 15:35   #39
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
22lr is hard to get now is because most gun owners have a 22, so it's extremely popular and high in demand. It is something everyone wants more of right now, along with 9mm and 223. I'd hope the ammo makers ramp up rimfire production but the bulk of their sales have traditionally been LE/military so I'm sure they are putting a priority on center fire ammo. As far as it not having a primer thats correct but there is priming in the rim, how much difference there is manufacturing speed/ease I don't know.

Edit: from all reports I read the ammo manufacturers are at 100% production capacity so I doubt there will be much of an increase or "ramp up" in producing anything.

You got this right!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 23:09   #40
esminbritt
Elias

i feel lucky that I stocked up on all my calibers 6 months ago. I have 700+ FGMM .308, 200 real nice assorted hunting .308 Bonded, 500 HST LE 147 +p, 100 Buff Bore 124 +p+, 100 double tap 124 +p, 300 American Eagle 147, 300 00 and 000 buck, and about 300 high end slugs. I am curbing my practice a bit. With current pricing and availability, that might be $2000+. I could double my money, but I wouldn't. I like having it on hand. Its all in dry boxes with dessicate packs so it ain't goin' nowhere.
esminbritt is offline   Reply With Quote