Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06   #1
WldWldWest20

Hardcast load data questions???

Looking to load some 200gr. Beartooth HC bullet's, only problem is I'm not sure where to begin? I have been handloading for year's for rifle's and only a few 44mag handgun (All book load's not much load development) rounds so Where do I start for load data?

Thanks WWW
WldWldWest20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26   #2
alwaysshootin

I would suggest, if you have decided what powder you want to use, go to the manufactures web site, and look for loading information there. If you know what powder, I'm sure posters could help you out with recommendations.

For 200 grain hard cast, for hot loads, I'm using 8.2 grains of Longshot! That is max load, and I worked it up, as you should, with your setup. I'm getting 1250 FPS out of my 5.15 Lone Wolf barrel.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58   #3
WldWldWest20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
I would suggest, if you have decided what powder you want to use, go to the manufactures web site, and look for loading information there. If you know what powder, I'm sure posters could help you out with recommendations.

For 200 grain hard cast, for hot loads, I'm using 8.2 grains of Longshot! That is max load, and I worked it up, as you should, with your setup. I'm getting 1250 FPS out of my 5.15 Lone Wolf barrel.
Thanks, I completely understand the 'Work up" part! Not looking for "Hot" yet, May get there at some point, Wanna learn the "Cold" first!
The only powder I have used so far is Bluedot with 180's and 200gr XTP's and they perform really well but wanna try some HC for a "wood's load".
I am using the Factory barrel so I wanna make sure I dont get into trouble there? Gonna p/u an aftermarket 6" tube after I figure out which one to buy.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by WldWldWest20; 02-14-2013 at 08:03..
WldWldWest20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34   #4
g29guy

I'v found you can use a similar fmj or hollow point load data and subtract 10 percent from max to start and 10 percent for it being lead.

lead reacts different and seems to seal up differently than fmj or plated ammo,so i feel extra room is needed. That being said you may be able to go to full max in a work up.

I have some max loads with lead that my glock 29 shoots great out of my kkm barrel.

example. alliant load data for 200g fmj is max power pistol load of 7.7 grains. I would subtract 10 percent for start load (6.93grains) and 10 percent of that for using lead (6.24) This is where I would start a work up with a new powder or bullet until you know how that particular bullet reacts with that powder and your barrel. Do be cautioned to look for squibs when you start out.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39   #5
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WldWldWest20 View Post
Thanks, I completely understand the 'Work up" part! Not looking for "Hot" yet, May get there at some point, Wanna learn the "Cold" first!
The only powder I have used so far is Bluedot with 180's and 200gr XTP's and they perform really well but wanna try some HC for a "wood's load".
I am using the Factory barrel so I wanna make sure I dont get into trouble there? Gonna p/u an aftermarket 6" tube after I figure out which one to buy.

Thanks for the help!

A lot of experimentation ahead for you. The way I start is, are you experiencing any, or even the slightest of bulging, in your brass, of any load, with your factory barrel? Have had 3 variations of the G20, and two of the three bulged terribly! I've not found the 10MM glock barrels to be satisfactory, with lead bullets. You may find differently, but please be careful. By that I mean, shoot two, or three, rounds, pull barrel, and look for leading with each load developement. Then work up to ten, then a mag, then a second, and so on. Like I said, I've not had any luck, with factory barrels, in the 10MM Glocks, shooting lead.

On the other hand, with 9MM, and 45 ACP, I've never had leading issues with about 10 different glocks in those calibers. The 40, and 10Mm, having five different firearms, none liked lead, and an aftermarket barrel was in order. Best $100 I ever spent! I like shooting lead. Whether it's paper punching, or whitetail, because of the inexpensiveness of shooting lead versus JHP, I want to shoot lead.
Old 02-14-2013, 14:43   #6
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post

Hot loads at 8.2 longshot? 200 g cast. Heck that is my plinking load. I have worked up them to 9.5. But that is beyond hot. I like 9gr for a good hot load.

800x I do 10gr for hot hunting. If I load 800x for plinking. (not done often) I do 8.7.

Always work up. My gun might handle better than yours. I do have a long slide and lone wolf barrel.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:47   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Disclaimer: my experience is only with the Double Tap variant of the same bullet. DT modeled their bullet after the Beartooth. I do have some Beartooth bullets onhand pending reworks.

I recommend Accurate no. 9. Find a copy of Loadbooks for the 10mm & 40 S&W. It has out-of-print data from Accurate and Speer for a 200 gr TMJ. Working up to somewhere between the two maxes has given me fantastic results. Speer dropped that load since they don't make that TMJ any longer. Accurate dropped a whole bunch of loads in the latest publications, including the TMJ data - leaving only the most conservative maxes. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the older data. Nowadays, the XTP is really one of the few commonly loaded 200 grainers. It does need a lower max than TJMs/FMJs/WFNGC hardcasts, so that is the load listed in Accurate's latest data.

I am at 1200 fps or a little more depending upon temps through my G20 stock barrel. Groups are adequate, but not excellent. I attribute that to bullet-to-barrel fitment that a home caster could improve. I use Starline brass and a CCI 350 primer. I seat to 1.26" and they feed fine in my Glock.

In this way, you will have "book data" behind the load workup. Longshot and 800-X will require you to venture beyond book to get similar velocities. The other advantages to Accurate no. 9 are that it meters supurbly, and you almost can't get enough powder in the case to cause excessive pressures.

alwaysshootin's advice about checking for leading is not to be taken lightly. I have not had any issues, but YMMV.

Good luck. Those are pretty nice bullets.

EDIT: I have a new edition of loadbooks as well as an older one. Apparently they updated the Speer load data, so the 200 grain data is not there any longer. Speer's max for a 200 gr TMJ over Accurate no. 9 was 14.0 grains. They called for a CCI 350 primer. Accurate's max was 13.5 grains with a CCI 300.

Last edited by Taterhead; 02-14-2013 at 23:13..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote