SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:05   #81
digilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYEGUY View Post
Go look at the attempted murder of President Reagan by a man with a .22 revolver. It was caught on camera. Mr. Brady and a police officer were hit by the .22 rounds and watch how fast they dropped. Watch it a few times. President Reagan almost died because they had trouble finding the bullet that wounded him and the damage it did. They all went down fast. Watch it and think about it before you knock how effective a .22 can be.
LOL Yeah point blank shot on a 70 year old man and it didn't kill him. The only reason he "went down" was because a secret service agent pushed him down, and into a car.

And as far as hitmen (LOL!) the only reason they get away with such a small caliber is that they get to pick the shot with the target unaware, so of course a temple shot with a .22 will work. Temple shots don't come up too often, though, in SD scenarios.

I don't think you understand what a self-defense gun is for. It is not for killing people. It is to make an aggressor STOP what he is doing. Killing him is a secondary consideration- indeed, if you state it to be your primary concern, you may face an angry DA. (read Ayoob please). And a .22 isn't making anyone stop what they're doing- it didn't even slow down a 70 year old man. Again, I am of the opinion that anyone who can shoot a .22 can learn to shoot a more effective caliber.

Last edited by digilo; 02-13-2013 at 12:08..
digilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 22:33   #82
Pepiot

If that was all I had, yes.
Old 02-13-2013, 23:50   #83
Ak.Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I can't imagine in Alaska .22lr is good for killing anything but rodents or small game.

I don't second guess your choice for a backup, so what do you carry as your primary sidearm up in God's country? My guess is either a 10mm or .44 Magnum.
I enjoy my 10mm and carry it a bit. My Super Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch 44 Magnum is my favorite loaded with a good 300 grain load. The 317 is more of a survival tool to keep in my pack along with a knife and a leatherman.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27   #84
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
I enjoy my 10mm and carry it a bit. My Super Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch 44 Magnum is my favorite loaded with a good 300 grain load. The 317 is more of a survival tool to keep in my pack along with a knife and a leatherman.

And we're still amigo's after all these years !
Man I got to come see ya and get some of that trout fishin !

Stay safe !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10   #85
unit1069

Quote:
I knew you had serious sidearm caliber resources for your environment. And I agree with your idea of having .22lr as a survival tool. I'm going to a remote cabin tomorrow and taking my Ruger Mark II along with another pistol because the owner is getting overrun with armadillos. I can't see whacking them with anything larger.
Old 02-14-2013, 14:24   #86
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Not sure why you think I disagree.

As far as the Reagan attempt; what happened....happened. Three guys went to the ground, fast.
Watch the friggin video. THe lesson *I* take from that is simple: Getting shot by any gun SUCKS.

Does that endorse the .22lr as a defense round? No.
I didn't imply you did, just pointing out some facts about the shooting. Had he used even a 38sp, all would have likely died before medical attention was given. Again the guys went down because they were ambushed & not expecting it. A head shot is a headshot. Eveyone else was functional, Reagan didn't even know he was hit.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 14:25   #87
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I knew you had serious sidearm caliber resources for your environment. And I agree with your idea of having .22lr as a survival tool. I'm going to a remote cabin tomorrow and taking my Ruger Mark II along with another pistol because the owner is getting overrun with armadillos. I can't see whacking them with anything larger.
Well if the objective is to kill them cleanly, why not something larger? A 9mm, 357sig or 357mag w/ a 90-110gr JHP running fast is a varmint thumper for sure.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-14-2013 at 14:26..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:29   #88
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Like to hear it - a 300gr .44 magnum load.
Old 02-14-2013, 15:58   #89
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Ronald Reagan was hit with a fragment of bullet after hit ricocheted off the vehicle he was standing next to, so leave him out of the arguement.

I wouldnt carry a .22LR for self defense, but it is always better than nothing. It has killed, it has stopped, just as any other caliber has. But you cant necessarily count on it.

To answer the OP ".22 for defense if necessary?". YES, if necessary, but not always if there is an option.
Old 02-14-2013, 16:18   #90
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
Ronald Reagan was hit with a fragment of bullet after hit ricocheted off the vehicle he was standing next to, so leave him out of the arguement.

I wouldnt carry a .22LR for self defense, but it is always better than nothing. It has killed, it has stopped, just as any other caliber has. But you cant necessarily count on it.

To answer the OP ".22 for defense if necessary?". YES, if necessary, but not always if there is an option.
I wouldn't count on it for any defensive function.
Old 02-14-2013, 20:26   #91
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I wouldn't count on it for any defensive function.
I wouldnt count on a knife for a defensive situation either, but to answer the OPs question, yes I would if necessary.
Old 02-14-2013, 20:52   #92
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well if the objective is to kill them cleanly, why not something larger (than .22lr)? A 9mm, 357sig or 357mag w/ a 90-110gr JHP running fast is a varmint thumper for sure.
Yes, those calibers are more deadly but well-placed MiniMag, Stinger, or Velocitor rounds kill small game just as dead. And the ammo cost is far below the more powerful calibers.

In my case the Ruger Mark II with 6 7/8" barrel is my best choice for eliminating varmints and pests because of its accuracy. I keep kicking myself for not buying the Mossberg AR-style .22lr before the current panic. A good .22lr rifle would be great for reaching out and touching these critters.
Old 02-14-2013, 21:29   #93
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

The 22lr is not the best defensive caliber by a long shot.

That being said, I have little doubt it can get the job done with accurate well placed shots.

I wouldn't have a ton of confidence in my Beretta 21A even loaded with mini-mags, with someone breaking down my door though.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20   #94
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I wouldnt count on a knife for a defensive situation either, but to answer the OPs question, yes I would if necessary.
So would I . . . . .
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19   #95
clinttho

No to the OP's question. Not even if I had my 10/22 loaded with 25 minimags or velocitors. Not even if my attacker was closing in from 50 or 100 yards (and I can shoot that rifle better than pretty much anyone with a pistol at that range). Well, maybe in that case.

I wouldn't be confident with a 22mag, 32acp or 380acp either. The very least I'd feel comfortable with is a 38 spl. If I had to use a 22 for SD I would do so but I don't ever want to be in that position, and always carry at least a 38 for that reason.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by clinttho; 02-15-2013 at 09:22..
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28   #96
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinttho View Post
No to the OP's question. Not even if I had my 10/22 loaded with 25 minimags or velocitors. Not even if my attacker was closing in from 50 or 100 yards (and I can shoot that rifle better than pretty much anyone with a pistol at that range). Well, maybe in that case.

I wouldn't be confident with a 22mag, 32acp or 380acp either. The very least I'd feel comfortable with is a 38 spl. If I had to use a 22 for SD I would do so but I don't ever want to be in that position, and always carry at least a 38 for that reason.

The .38 Special is a good round. 158gr HPs.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46   #97
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinttho View Post
No to the OP's question. Not even if I had my 10/22 loaded with 25 minimags or velocitors.

The very least I'd feel comfortable with is a 38 spl.

I would take the 10/22 over a .38SPL anyday, especially at a distance. Velocitors are underrated from a rifle and IIRC both loads have close to the same energy levels.
Old 02-15-2013, 13:49   #98
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I would take the 10/22 over a .38SPL anyday, especially at a distance. Velocitors are underrated from a rifle and IIRC both loads have close to the same energy levels.
Would you take a 10/22 over a .357 Rifle shooting .38s?
Old 02-15-2013, 13:53   #99
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Would you take a 10/22 over a .357 Rifle shooting .38s?
He was comparing a 5 shot .38 revolver to a 25 round 10/22.
Old 02-15-2013, 14:34   #100
digilo

Quote:
He was comparing a 5 shot .38 revolver to a 25 round 10/22.
Clinttho didn't exactly say "5 shot revolver". He said ".38 Special".

There's plenty of good 4 and 6 inch barreled .38s that have more than fair accuracy at 50 or 100 yds.

Last edited by digilo; 02-15-2013 at 14:34..
digilo is offline   Reply With Quote