I would suggest looking into a Dan Wesson ECO

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-eco/

I have a great carry pistol that was built by Chuck Rogers. It may
be a wee bit too nice for EDC.

1911 Forums

I recently found a Les Baer Concept IX

1911 Forums

it's a Commander size 1911 with a light weight frame. If you decide
to look into the light weight frame models, be DAMN sure it has a ramped barrel!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57   #27
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
Glock2740, that TRP is bad ass!!! Did it come with that trigger?
Thanks. The two black one's came with silver 3 hole triggers. But I've really began to like the Harrison Extreme short black solids in my black guns. They both were hardchromed last week, so I had new silver 3 holers put into them. Should be getting them back soon and will post some pics.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:58   #28
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I recently found a Les Baer Concept IX

1911 Forums

it's a Commander size 1911 with a light weight frame. If you decide
to look into the light weight frame models, be DAMN sure it has a ramped barrel!
That's a GREAT looking gun Greg! Congrats!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43   #29
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Oops,......this isn't the actual pic. Googled this one. Should have it
in hand mid to late this coming week.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12   #30
Teecher45

Wow, those are some great looking 1911's, but it seems the longer this thread goes the farther away from a grand we are getting!
The SARO looks good to go except it will be an EDC and I've carried a full size before and it just didn't work for me. But yes, it is mandatory (again, for me) for it to cycle HP's reliably.
I may decide to save a little longer and look at the Dan Wesson CCO.
But don't stop giving suggestions...
Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38   #31
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Not to sound like an ***, but,
Buy once, cry once
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43   #32
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Not to sound like an ***, but,
Buy once, cry once
Yup.

Sounds like you've already been down the "budget" path. I'm not saying you can't find a budget 1911 that works - you can. But your odds improve dramatically when you spend a little more.

JM2C
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46   #33
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Yup.

Sounds like you've already been down the "budget" path. I'm not saying you can't find a budget 1911 that works - you can. But your odds improve dramatically when you spend a little more.

JM2C
You get what you pay for in the 1911 world.
Old 02-09-2013, 14:00   #34
fastbolt

I generally don't recommend specific makes/models of pistols to folks, and especially not 1911's (unless I get to know them and have a good idea of their skillset & experience).

That said ...

I've had ample opportunity over the years of being a LE firearms instructor & armorer of seeing a lot of folks own & use various 1911-style pistols, and handle & shoot a fair number of them. I've used budget 1911's, and those costing on the far side of $4K.

I own 4 Colts and a SW1911SC 5" model (lightweight Scandium aluminum frame). The first 3 Colts were all older models (70's production) and required some refinement in order to reliably feed a lot of JHP's, including the old CCI 200gr "Flying Ashtray".

The newer one is middle 2000's production, a stainless XSE Government Model, and it's feed, fired, extracted & ejected an assortment of JHP loads often used for on & off-duty. Boringly reliable, whether clean/lubed or dirty/lubed. Just runs and shoots VERY accurately.

My SW1911SC has been equally as reliable and accurate. (As have other SW1911's used by instructors of my acquaintance.)

I've been seriously considering ordering one of the SW1911 Enhanced Models (E-Series) after recently handling and using a 5" all-steel model.

Excellent out-of-the box trigger. The sights required a very slight drift adjustment (after being tried by 3 very experienced 1911 shooters/instructors to confirm the slight POA/POI difference). Tack driver with duty 230gr loads.

However, if I get one, I'm thinking of ordering the Commander 4.25" size round-butt. I like the bob-tailed profile and over-size PC type extractor.

So ... for a "working gun" in a 1911, I'd be completely comfortable getting another new production Colt XSE or a SW1911 (especially an E-Series) ... or if neither of those were available, one of the higher end Springfields.

You can spend $2K-$5K on a 1911, no problem, but that's not necessary for a reliable, "working" gun.

Maybe if you're into collecting and enjoying a certain amount of pride-of-ownership in high-end, custom guns, then sure, help yourself. It's your money.

Just make sure that whatever you decide to buy, to use good quality magazines, as they're at the very heart of reliable functioning with 1911's. Then, confirm normal reliable feeding & operation with each and every magazine in your 1911, being used in your hands ... and maintain the mags as you do your pistol (cleaning, spring replacement, inspection for damage, etc).
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-09-2013 at 14:03..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 15:40   #35
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I agree 100%, but I still have to disagree

I purchased a RIA 3.5"CS. That gun reliably feeds JHPs, SWCs, anything. In fact, many times it finds itself in the inside pocket of my carhart jacket in cold weather. I would trust it with my life. I paid 375 for it, brand new. I would say that sometimes you get more than you paid for.

Now, after saying that, was it as well fit and finished as the other examples? Nope. Not by any means. My sig blows it away in fit and finish, and it isnt what some of these others are. In the way of reliability and performance though, that RIA can keep up with the best of them, for a fraction of the price.
Old 02-09-2013, 15:44   #36
glfpunk

I've actually had good luck with 1911's. The only one I had issue with was a Springfield GI. I had a Kimber Compact that was one if the best guns I've owned and I hate that I got rid of it. The only one I have now is a Dan Wesson CCO and I can't recommend it enough. No issues at all, very accurate, and just a really well made gun. I carry it occasionally. It gets rotated with a G27 and a Ruger SP101.
Old 02-09-2013, 15:47   #37
MLittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
TRP

Best Production 1911 without getting into ultra priced models.

I have one 5000rnds without one hickup, I have 3 friends I made get one... 12,000 rounds between them without ONE PROBLEM.

Your Best Friend. It will never let you down....

Put together in the U.S. and fitted by Gunsmiths not machines... expect to pay around $1,500 and worth every penny. Magwell, Ambi Saftey. Ready to go.

JUST GET IT!

Tony
Hey Tony...... I've seen many posts here and on other gun sites where owners of the TRP speak to its reliability and accuracy. The problem I have with it is its size and weight... Like the OP I've owned unreliable 1911's, but love the platform for all the reasons people love 1911's. Problem is I've also not found one that's as reliable as a Glock or any of my Sigs. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could you recommend a Commander sized 1911 that you feel that has the reliabilty of the TRP, but in a smaller package?
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 15:51   #38
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
I agree 100%, but I still have to disagree

I purchased a RIA 3.5"CS. That gun reliably feeds JHPs, SWCs, anything. In fact, many times it finds itself in the inside pocket of my carhart jacket in cold weather. I would trust it with my life. I paid 375 for it, brand new. I would say that sometimes you get more than you paid for.

Now, after saying that, was it as well fit and finished as the other examples? Nope. Not by any means. My sig blows it away in fit and finish, and it isnt what some of these others are. In the way of reliability and performance though, that RIA can keep up with the best of them, for a fraction of the price.
I've got the same RIA and it's never jammed one time. I also can hit beer cans at 50 yards 6-7 out of 10 times with it all day. Must be those tiny sights.

1911 Forums

That being said, I also have a fullsize RIA Match that shoots lights out and has been 100% with anything you feed it, but I had a fullsize Tactical that had to go back to Armscor twice and still won't reliably feed HP's. It's no longer around anymore.
Old 02-09-2013, 15:54   #39
MLittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
It's kind of funny I think how a lightweight commander seems like such an excellent carry gun, yet they seem to be under represented at your local gunstore particularly ones that are higher end and good to go. For starters a few of the good makers out there don't make a 4.25" commander, they make them 4 inches even. Why does that bother me, dunno, just like the true 4 and a quarter inches a lot better. Brown doesn't make one, Baer stopped making their Concept X, S&W has a PC LW Commander out worth checking on, but the price will be higher than a grand for sure. S&W's regular line of LW Commander are just ok imo after owning 2.

The best I came up with was finding a discontinued Baer Concept X.

1911 Forums
I actually was just at the Ed Brown website and they do make a Kobra Carry (4.25in) in stainless and one with a light weight, Aluminum frame.......
Old 02-09-2013, 16:16   #40
Roydrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
Hey Tony...... I've seen many posts here and on other gun sites where owners of the TRP speak to its reliability and accuracy. The problem I have with it is its size and weight... Like the OP I've owned unreliable 1911's, but love the platform for all the reasons people love 1911's. Problem is I've also not found one that's as reliable as a Glock or any of my Sigs. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could you recommend a Commander sized 1911 that you feel that has the reliabilty of the TRP, but in a smaller package?
M. Sorry I have no expirience with the Commander size rendition... I Know it uses a much stiffer spring, and has a higher associated wear...

If I were going to get one and bet my life on it in a possible gunfight, It would be the Bill Wilson Carry Pistol...

This is the gun The man Carries himself... All my Wilsons have run flawlessly with any kind of ammo, and I doubt this would be any different.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-bill-wilson-carry.asp

Tony
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
Roydrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 18:14   #41
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
I actually was just at the Ed Brown website and they do make a Kobra Carry (4.25in) in stainless and one with a light weight, Aluminum frame.......
Yeah, I was wrong. Already took my lumps earlier in the thread.

Now if Brown could just offer it without the bobtail. Again I think the bobtail is cool, effective and innovative, but they just don't point right for me (too low). I'd get used to it if I had too, but then switching back to non-bobtails would be a problem pointing too high.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01   #42
MLittle

Quote:

Now if Brown could just offer it without the bobtail. Again I think the bobtail is cool, effective and innovative, but they just don't point right for me (too low). I'd get used to it if I had too, but then switching back to non-bobtails would be a problem pointing too high.

Sorry about that...... I wasn't piling on, just didn't read the full string of messages before responding.

As to your second comment, I believe you can get any Brown 1911 custom made without a bobtail. It's one of their options on their order sheet. You might want to check it out.
Old 02-10-2013, 16:19   #43
fastbolt

I remember modifying one of my Commanders back in the middle 70's to give the MSH a "semi-bevel", which better aligned it in my hand to produce a "natural" balance and POA/POI.

Nice to see it's become more or less "mainstream" over the years.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:33   #44
mleroux21

Quote:

I agree with you that bobtails do point different than a non bobbed version. But I recently purchased a Volkmann and the
the high cut trigger and the grip for some reason worked out to help me point on target. So I think the grip and the undercut trigger guard do help on pointing a bobtail.

Marc
mleroux21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57   #45
MajorD

i have not seen a basic rattle trap 1911 that can't shoot at least as accurately as a stock glock, and any refined 1911 (either semi custom,gunsmithed or modern production) will shoot circles around a glock for accuracy. I routinely shoot to 50 yards and beyond with a pistol and at those extended ranges even my basic 1911's out shoot my glocks.
Reliability I will admit can be an issue when you try to get 1911 to feed jhp's. good magazines proper lubrication are both essential. it is not unheard of even for glocks but more so 1911's to find some brands of jhp that run all day and others that are jam city.
investing in 100 rounds of each type of commonly available hollow point ammo then running them to see what works in a particular gun is a very expensive proposition in today's market but is what will find you the best performing ammo for your gun. having a friend say his 1911 runs great with brand x ammo is not going to mean yours will.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:03   #46
G36_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
M. Sorry I have no expirience with the Commander size rendition... I Know it uses a much stiffer spring, and has a higher associated wear...

If I were going to get one and bet my life on it in a possible gunfight, It would be the Bill Wilson Carry Pistol...

This is the gun The man Carries himself... All my Wilsons have run flawlessly with any kind of ammo, and I doubt this would be any different.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-bill-wilson-carry.asp

Tony
I followed the link to the Wilson site. I'm going to report your post to the mod for posting nasty pictures. I want one.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:05   #47
Teecher45

MajorD, that could be the downfall for me. I don't love the idea of my pistol deciding which bullet I can use for SD.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-12-2013 at 20:06..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 17:53   #48
biggun1911

I have Smith and Wesson 1911 Gunsite light weight commander model that I like. I have over 1,000 rounds without any problems. For some reason feels good in the hand. Recoil is similar to my Glock 21, but I am more accurate with it.

I would recommend it for anyone looking for a light weight commander.
biggun1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 18:29   #49
SpringerTGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Not always true.
I feel totally ripped off with my Nighthawk.
Springfield, on the other hand, offers great products.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:34   #50
samuse

If you're really serious about the Lightweight Commander sized 1911s, then I think you need to be looking at Wilson Combat or Springfield Custom.

I think you're really looking for a Glock 19 though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote