GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 20:27   #1
Brasso
Senior Member
 
Brasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 8,679
Listen up Atheists...

...You can't go on every thread on here and post "The Bible is made up by man" and then call the entire thread a waste of time.

It's called trolling and it's about time we started reporting this crap. It's getting really annoying.
__________________
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.
Brasso is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 20:45   #2
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,298
Or you can't go on every thread and claim this magical guy that doesn't exist ....

Isn't that just as trollish?

What's next, "All right all you guys that think the Sabbath is on Saturday, you can't go into every thread about church on Sunday and claim it's supposed to be on Saturday."

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 02-18-2013 at 20:47..
steveksux is online now  
Old 02-18-2013, 20:49   #3
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Of course. You can't have a DEBATE about something without posting your reasons for your opinion to back up your claims.

However the problem with religion that I always see, is that once people (from BOTH sides) encounter a question they can't answer, they always seem to resort to insults..

It's just sad.
__________________
.(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 21:04   #4
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,298
How dare anyone point out someone else's unproven assumptions in a debate forum!

What's the alternative? Expecting evidence to support one's position???

No good can come of that.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 02-18-2013 at 21:05..
steveksux is online now  
Old 02-18-2013, 21:15   #5
number1gun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 203
My God is better than yours---Bang !
number1gun is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 21:19   #6
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
...You can't go on every thread on here and post "The Bible is made up by man" and then call the entire thread a waste of time.

It's called trolling and it's about time we started reporting this crap. It's getting really annoying.
I haven't been following the "When was the Father revealed?" thread, have we stayed out of that conversation?

I agree that theists should be able to have a conversation without us. Start a thread, and make it clear in the op.



edit

I didn't realize it was you that started this thread too.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468286

What do you expect out of this thread that you didn't get from that one?
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...

Last edited by Syclone538; 02-18-2013 at 21:30..
Syclone538 is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 21:46   #7
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
What do you expect out of this thread that you didn't get from that one?
This.

Religious Issues
TK-421 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03   #8
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
I agree that theists should be able to have a conversation without us. Start a thread, and make it clear in the op.
I try to stay out of threads where they're talking about a purely religious dispute (in the sense of, calvinist or not, Catholicism vs. Protestantism, etc ... I read them sometimes and I've probably posted in a few, but I try, anyway)

I don't think that merely declaring 'I don't want X to post in this thread' is reasonable, though. You'd end up with people placing that disclaimer in the thread merely because they wanted no opposition, etc. And if they're saying something that they don't want opposition for - odds are someone will want to oppose it.

Suppose someone posted a thread where they wanted to claim that people who hold position x were demonstrably less intelligent than people who hold position y, with a disclaimer that they wanted it to be a discussion between position x'rs with no interference between position y'rs. There's going to be y'rs who want to, and will, get into that - if it was a matter of posting the disclaimer, and y'rs couldn't post in that thread, someone holding position y would start a different thread. At that point, what's the point of the separation?

(I assigned it as x & y here because I don't think it matters what the position actually is, you could read the above with 'x = theist, y = atheist' or 'x = atheist, y = theist' and it would boil down to the same deal)
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 02-19-2013 at 01:03..
void * is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07   #9
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
...You can't go on every thread on here and post "The Bible is made up by man" and then call the entire thread a waste of time.
Well - I happen to think that the bible was written by man, and there's no reason to think it's inspired. But it's your time, who is anybody to tell you how to waste it?
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 02-19-2013 at 01:10..
void * is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10   #10
b_oglethorpe
Senior Member
 
b_oglethorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 344
You are wrong. Posting this thread to get a response out of atheist, you are the troll....

God bha, who cares.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
b_oglethorpe is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59   #11
FCoulter
Senior Member
 
FCoulter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 978
I think it should respect each other, there is alot od disrespeact on both sides going on. Glockshooter36 thought he was above it all and well where is he now?

Atheists if asked to stay out of a thread should, and christians should also do the same

This forum is for everyone, lets play like adults.
FCoulter is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10   #12
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,316


Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
I don't think that merely declaring 'I don't want X to post in this thread' is reasonable, though. You'd end up with people placing that disclaimer in the thread merely because they wanted no opposition, etc. And if they're saying something that they don't want opposition for - odds are someone will want to oppose it.
That is exactly right. Posters should not be able to effectively extend the TOS by placing a simple disclaimer in the original post or otherwise trying to exclude opinions that are on topic, but unpopular. That would be fraught with abuse.

For instance, let's suppose theists start a thread on the timing of biblical event X. An atheist posting information that suggests event X never actually occurred is neither off topic nor trolling. They are merely expressing an opinion that is less popular. That's completely different.

However, I do agree that we all should refrain from truly off topic comments. There is no need to harangue each other.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 02-19-2013 at 08:21..
Geko45 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 13:00   #13
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,080
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Are you the same guy petitioning to have atheists banned from reddit?
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 14:01   #14
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_oglethorpe View Post
You are wrong. Posting this thread to get a response out of atheist, you are the troll....
Agreed
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 14:59   #15
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
...You can't go on every thread on here and post "The Bible is made up by man" and then call the entire thread a waste of time.

It's called trolling and it's about time we started reporting this crap. It's getting really annoying.
Generally, I stay out of most threads here unless, IMO, they seem specifically designed to get a response from me.

If you post a thread debating your differences in theology to the next person's, well, that's of no special interest to me and I have no input worth typing.

If, however, you post something that interests me, or I disagree (or agree, who knows) with, then I will respond in your thread.

I'm sure that if you wanted a place with no dissent or opposition you could find one. In fact, I bet you go to one every Sunday (or Saturday), it's called church. And I'm sure there's theological boards that ban Atheists at the first hint of disbelief. Why, I'm sure you could find a board that will ban or not allow you to post because your brand of belief doesn't match theirs.

So please quit sobbing about how your being persecuted. You have other options other than reporting posts that disagree with you, like not reading them if you're too insecure to deal with them.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 23:14   #16
RazorTM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jawja
Posts: 104
Xenu is real. I don't care what all of you say.
__________________
FNX-40
RazorTM is online now  
Old 02-19-2013, 23:21   #17
Riverkilt
Senior Member
 
Riverkilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Page/Lake Powell, Arizona
Posts: 333
Rumi said wisely, "There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground."

It takes just as much faith to believe there is "No God" as it does to believe there is a correct version of God.

The platypus is proof that "God" is a committee.....
__________________
"Get off my lawn."


Glock 42...somewhere you can't see
Riverkilt is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 23:31   #18
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,080
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
Rumi said wisely, "There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground."

It takes just as much faith to believe there is "No God" as it does to believe there is a correct version of God.

The platypus is proof that "God" is a committee.....
But it takes zero faith to not believe there is a god.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 23:37   #19
Riverkilt
Senior Member
 
Riverkilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Page/Lake Powell, Arizona
Posts: 333
Think it through. It does take faith to believe the miracle of life is a random thing...faith that you're right. Theologens mostly substitute the word trust for faith. Atheists trust that there is no God and that they won't be screwed when they die...just dead. Their faith is just as strong as that of any devout believer in any of the thousands of religions around this planet.

I'm VERY spiritual, far from an atheist, but I also don't believe in any of the established religions - someone else's work and word. Believe in discovering my own spiritual beliefs rather than choosing from someone else's. And I have just as strong of faith/trust in what I've come to believe as any hard core believer in an established religion. Just as the atheist believes equaly strongly there is no magic "God."
__________________
"Get off my lawn."


Glock 42...somewhere you can't see

Last edited by Riverkilt; 02-19-2013 at 23:39..
Riverkilt is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 00:07   #20
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
Think it through. It does take faith to believe the miracle of life is a random thing
I can predict that if someone pours some sand down an inclined plane that the resulting pile of sand will have a wider base than top without having to know where every single grain of sand will land.

A process that happens to involve random factors does not make that process random. You're arguing against something that nobody posits - evolution depends on partly on random events (mutations, etc) but it is not a random process.

The only people who claim it's random in that manner are people who want it to be misunderstood, or people who want to claim it's taken on faith, or people who have bought the arguments of the previous two kinds of people.

As far as how life originated (given that evolution doesn't attempt to explain how life arose, but how it changed after it already existed), at most, none of the current possibilities have been verified enough to be considered confirmed in a scientific sense yet, but it can be stated that, given the number of times we've not known something, the cause was attributed to a deity, and turned out to have a natural explanation, the idea that it was a natural process rather than a supernatural one is reasonable. It might be wrong, sure, but that doesn't mean there's something religious about accepting it in the absence of actual data indicating it *wasn't* a natural process - assuming that you're willing to go where the data leads.
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 02-20-2013 at 00:38..
void * is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,168
297 Members
871 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42