SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:36   #21
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
I know a lot of you will be crazy about the G30s, but to be honest, I don't get it. The part of a GLOCK that I find hardest to conceal is the grip, not the slide. The slide may be a bit fatter in your waistband, but that fat grip is what keeps me from carrying a G30sf. The 30s has exactly the same fat grip, so it will conceal no better for me.

If the GAP pistols were made with the slimmer slide, they would be more concealable on both ends. Imagine a G39 the same size as a G26 9mm.
I got on a kick a couple weeks ago trying to figure out how I could hybridize just such a critter.

Wanted to put a thinner slide on a G39 frame & shoot GAP through a .45GAP barrel.

-36 slide wouldn't work because ejection port is too long.
-26,27,33 slide (with barrel port reamed out to .45) wouldn't either because GAP barrel is too wide for inside of slide.

The walls of the 36 slide are thinner than those of a 26 slide. I suppose you could mill a mm or so off both sides of the inside of the slide, and bore out the barrel port.

But not an easy hybrid. Gotta wait for Glock to make a slide that would work, but since they DID it for ACP, they COULD do it for GAP. Probably falls victim to laws of "supply & demand" & "diminishing returns"! Not enough consumer interest.

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 02-10-2013 at 12:40..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46   #22
feathers73

Would a ban affect existing mags purchased prior to the ban?
feathers73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:47   #23
greenlion

Interesting about the early GAP prototypes not working without a heavier slide. You have to keep in mind that they will now be using the Gen4 dual recoil spring, so maybe it is feasible. If a slim slide would not work with a dual recoil spring, then the GLOCK 36 wouldn't work, and neither would the new 30s.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:56   #24
jack76590

I believe banning mags with over 10 round capacity will made the G26 and G27 even more popular than they are today.

I would envision sales increases in these two models to exceed any increase in 45 caliber glocks, whether GAP or acp.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:17   #25
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
I believe banning mags with over 10 round capacity will made the G26 and G27 even more popular than they are today.

I would envision sales increases in these two models to exceed any increase in 45 caliber glocks, whether GAP or acp.
+1
I think any gun that was 9 or 10 round pre ban will likely do well.
Specifically, a 45 GAP revival? Not so much...

Last edited by barth; 02-10-2013 at 16:17..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:39   #26
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

If I'm going to be limited to 7 or 8 rounds I want a very big bullet....

Like the 12mm GAP.

At .48 cal the 12mm should be legal in all states.

Politicians will pass a brick when they see it.

Last edited by bustedknee; 02-10-2013 at 16:42..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:21   #27
Kimura

Quote:
If there is a magazine ban that restricts capacity to 10 (or 7) it could make the 45 GAP look much more attractive again.

In addition, if GLOCK would give the 45 GAP the same new slide width as the new 30s, it would be the same size as the 9mm guns and hold as many rounds (considering a mag ban)

The compact GLOCK 38 with a 30s sized slide might just be the perfect GLOCK, if the GAP cartridge was much more common in stores.
No disrespect intended and maybe I'm not fully up on the subject, but I'm not sure why anything would make the 45 GAP more attractive. IMO, they should just re-introduce a Glock 30sf or Gen 4 30 with a longer grip and an actual 4" barrel. Design 10 round mags for the gun and design it so the the 13 round 21 mags will fit it as well. So to say an actual a .45acp version of the 19. Then they should stop making the the 45 GAP pistols all together. They should have made the pistol I described to begin with instead of trying for a new caliber. IMO, the 45 GAP is a caliber that very few care about and I'm not sure why they continue to push the guns instead of making the gun I described. Others have asked for this gun as well and I wonder how many times it needs to be said before Glock actually listens.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:35   #28
rrrr

With respect to the prototype thin slides on the early GAP guns, I bet they were not using the dual recoil spring assemblies like they offer on the Gen4. I think they would probably hold up better today. How can a G36 slide hold up and yet it is overall smaller in mass and undersprung when compared to a large frame pistol in the same caliber?
rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:23   #29
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
.... So to say an actual a .45acp version of the 19. ....
I wonder how the dimensions of the G30S and the G19 compare?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:26   #30
CitizenOfDreams

If they push it too far, it may revive 6.5mm Carcano.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:34   #31
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
With respect to the prototype thin slides on the early GAP guns, I bet they were not using the dual recoil spring assemblies like they offer on the Gen4. I think they would probably hold up better today. How can a G36 slide hold up and yet it is overall smaller in mass and undersprung when compared to a large frame pistol in the same caliber?
The truth is out there!! Heck, I like the .45GAP whether there's a ban or not.
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:06   #32
greenlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
If they push it too far, it may revive 6.5mm Carcano.
If you mean what I think you mean by that, I find it repulsive and extremely inappropriate. Please keep crap like that off the High Road !!
Old 02-10-2013, 21:17   #33
greenlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
IMO, they should just re-introduce a Glock 30sf or Gen 4 30 with a longer grip and an actual 4" barrel. Design 10 round mags for the gun and design it so the the 13 round 21 mags will fit it as well. So to say an actual a .45acp version of the 19. Then they should stop making the the 45 GAP pistols all together. They should have made the pistol I described to begin with instead of trying for a new caliber.
The 30sf doesn't need to be reintroduced. It is practically the same as the Gen4 30. The gun you are describing apparently can't be made. Even if the G30 had its slide lengthened and a full compact sized grip, it would still necessarily be thicker than a G19. With a magazine ban in place, it would simply be a bigger gun firing exactly the same bullets, ballistically, and use more powder and more expensive primers than the GAP. I don't own a GAP pistol at the moment, but if we were limited to 10 rounds, and it was as common as the 45 acp, I would go GAP.
Old 02-10-2013, 21:54   #34
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
The first prototype G37's had slimmer slides. During extensive testing of the 12 prototypes, it was determined that they needed heavier slides. The prototype G37 introduced at the 2003 Shot Show actually had a slimmer slide. Testing also determined that the GAP needed small pistol primers.
My lightly used 2007 model 38 has some slide "peening"
I bought a 2nd model 38 last Nov. and saw slide "peening" after the first 100 rounds.
Based on that ^ I'd think the heavier slide is merited.
Old 02-10-2013, 22:26   #35
greenlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
My lightly used 2007 model 38 has some slide "peening"
I bought a 2nd model 38 last Nov. and saw slide "peening" after the first 100 rounds.
Based on that ^ I'd think the heavier slide is merited.
Yes, but again, that is with the single recoil spring not the dual recoil spring that is in the Gen4 guns.
Old 02-10-2013, 22:32   #36
AdamSean

I tried the G.A.P. when it first came out and found it quite snappy. Kind of like a .40 S&W. I like the .45 ACP.

One the other note, I think the .45 ACP may become more popular in the case of the magazine limit. If you are limited on rounds you can carry, wouldn't you go big too? That is why I am carrying a G36. Really not for any ban. We are good here in Bama, I just like the size for CCW.
AdamSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 22:37   #37
Kimura

Quote:
The 30sf doesn't need to be reintroduced. It is practically the same as the Gen4 30. The gun you are describing apparently can't be made. Even if the G30 had its slide lengthened and a full compact sized grip, it would still necessarily be thicker than a G19. With a magazine ban in place, it would simply be a bigger gun firing exactly the same bullets, ballistically, and use more powder and more expensive primers than the GAP. I don't own a GAP pistol at the moment, but if we were limited to 10 rounds, and it was as common as the 45 acp, I would go GAP.
Yes I understand that it will be thicker. The 19 was a point of comparison as in 17 to 19, 21 to whatever number the new gun would have. My point is that instead of having a .45acp with a grip that requires a mag extension and a new caliber that quite honestly doesn't sell enough units to get much play from ammo companies, why not just introduce a .45acp with a full compact grip and a 4" barrel.

Bigger than the Glock 30? In what way other than the extra .25" on the barrel. Grip size would be identical to the Glock 30sf and length would be approximately the same, but with a full compact grip instead of having the mag extension. How does that not seem better?
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 22:58   #38
reesez

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM79 View Post
The truth is out there!! Heck, I like the .45GAP whether there's a ban or not.
+1 I like the 45 GAP as well. It feels overall better than the g21. I still love 45 ACP, but will keep my 38's.
reesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:06   #39
Inebriated

I'm sorry GAP, but I'd rather see a magazine ban die, than see your resurrection.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14   #40
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
I'm sorry GAP, but I'd rather see a magazine ban die, than see your resurrection.
That which isn't dead requires no resurrection. But, it's nice to have another cartridge to choose from if you don't like to .40 or .357Sig, and don't do your best shooting with Glock's rendition of .45ACP. The GAP has plenty of fans here on GT. That's because the cartridge has much to offer.

When the .40S&W first came out, it was roundly criticized as the ".40 Short and Weak" (comparing it to the 10mm, from which it was derived). Early guns chambered for it had issues. But, when the FBI started using it, much of the LE market eventually followed suit. Glock's .40's have improved over Gen3 and Gen4, with a few bumps along the way. So has the ammo. But that still doesn't change the fact that it's a hard-recoiling cartridge in a lightweight gun, and it's not .45 caliber.

I'll say this - as much of an abomination as a magazine ban would be, it HAS revived discussion of the .45GAP here on GT. There's at least three active multi-day threads going on it right now. The discussion is intelligent and insightful, rather than merely a debate between haters and fans. That's only a GOOD thing for the Glock community.
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capacity, gap, magazine