Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 15:10   #1
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

new to blades

I don't know jack about blades.
I've got some ludell axe I inherited from my brother in law and a crummy hatchet from walmart. Neither are sharp, and I don't know how to get them sharp. How do I get them sharp? Literally where do I get some stone or something to sharpen their blades?

I'm also interested in getting a decent machete, a fixed blade knife for the 72 hr kit, and a sword. I feel nerdy even mentioning a sword, but I figured in case of a terrible emergency, once I've run out of ammo, I'd rather have a sword than a baseball bat.
Anyway, so I'm interested in what type of steel I should look for in a sword? Like if some crazy sort of fictional crap happened and I actually needed my sword for some crazy swashbuckling action, what sort of metal could handle sword strikes with out being too brittle and keeping some sort of edge?

I really know nothing about blades and steel. As I've tried to read online I find lots of inconsistencies and relative answers. I hope to find a decent machete for machete purposes and a sword for crazy sword fights.

Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 02-21-2013, 15:40   #2
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Chopping tools likely have a convex grind and can be sharpened with nothing more than a mouse pad and some varying grits of sandpaper. Check out this link for instruction.

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/s...mousepad.shtml

For fixed blade knives I would look at the ESEE line. Carbon steel, easy to sharpen, unconditional lifetime warranty.

The Cutting Edge

http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm

For general knife sharpening the Spyderco Sharpmaker can't be beat. Included in the kit is a CD with Sal showing you step by step how to achieve good results. These videos can also be found on Youtube.

Condor Knife and Tool is a good place to start when looking for a machete or other entry level edged tools.

http://www.condortk.com/

As for swords? I don't know. I'm not a sword guy, the biggest knife I'd ever consider carrying is the ESEE Junglas (which may qualify) but for fun I present you with Zombie Tools.

The Cutting Edge

http://zombietools.net/

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 16:40   #3
bdcochran

I second the Spyderco sharpening system and the Condor machete. Condor also makes a decent fixed blade knife for about $30 or you can go with a Mora at that price or less.

Swords. The only decent US manufacturer is Barry Dawson and you will pay many hundreds or thousands of dollars. I would suggest that you pay for knife fighting instruction before spending money on even a cheap sword. Knife/sword fights typically do not last more than about 20 seconds, contrary to what you see in the movies. I am really serious about the need for training. Owning or having a sword in the field without the benefit of instruction is pretty much the same as having a firearm in the field without having had instruction - nearly worthless.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:02   #4
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

The pointy end goes into the other man.

http://youtu.be/-mcUPY0RMdU

Old 02-22-2013, 00:07   #5
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I do love my ESEEs.

The Cutting Edge
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 20:22   #6
boomchakabowwow

if your axe is chipped and VERY dull, you are wasting your time if you dont start the process with a bastard file. get a 12" single cut mill (bastard) file and go from there. there is a killer vid on youtube to show you how to do it. the sound, the feel, the vibration of a file on an axe blade is downright hypnotic. i love it. starting off you will want to color the blade with a sharpie marker..

you will be stunned at how sharp a file can get it. then you move to a finer grit. i just use a diamond sharpener or i yank a stick from my sharpmaker.

both of my axes can slice paper like a razor. a sharp axe wont bounce off of wood.. it bites. therefore it is much safer.

for a machete..i like the woodsman. i want one bad. but i am addicted to sharp things. haha.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 20:50   #7
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
if your axe is chipped and VERY dull, you are wasting your time if you dont start the process with a bastard file. get a 12" single cut mill (bastard) file and go from there. there is a killer vid on youtube to show you how to do it. the sound, the feel, the vibration of a file on an axe blade is downright hypnotic. i love it. starting off you will want to color the blade with a sharpie marker..

you will be stunned at how sharp a file can get it. then you move to a finer grit. i just use a diamond sharpener or i yank a stick from my sharpmaker.

both of my axes can slice paper like a razor. a sharp axe wont bounce off of wood.. it bites. therefore it is much safer.

for a machete..i like the woodsman. i want one bad. but i am addicted to sharp things. haha.

A file, no mater the size leaves grooves in an axe head that can potentially cause the metal to fatigue and chip and is likely the best way to ruin a quality head. A flat file cannot maintain a convex grind without some serious muscle memory and even then it will be uneven from side to side. Don't use a file.... unless that's the only tool you have and you don't mind spending a lot of time ensuring the head is polished 100%.

Maintaining an axe is easier than screwing one up but not by much.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 02-22-2013 at 21:03..
Old 02-22-2013, 21:13   #8
boomchakabowwow

every axe manufacturer will tell you to use a file.

my instructions for my Gransfor Bruks tells you to use a file. splitting axes you start and end with a bastard file. felling and forest axes..you move finer with a diamond file. they have been building axes for 185 years. they sell a Gransfor Bruks Axe file. $75 bucks for a glorified bastard file.

a quality axe is tempered so it wont chip.
Old 02-22-2013, 21:18   #9
boomchakabowwow

powder..i do it just like this.

Old 02-22-2013, 21:36   #10
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
every axe manufacturer will tell you to use a file.

my instructions for my Gransfor Bruks tells you to use a file. splitting axes you start and end with a bastard file. felling and forest axes..you move finer with a diamond file. they have been building axes for 185 years. they sell a Gransfor Bruks Axe file. $75 bucks for a glorified bastard file.

a quality axe is tempered so it wont chip.
Chipping in this manner has nothing to due with the temper. It has everything to do with the nicks and cuts you create with a file and then bend over when you use the tool. If you use a file and don't polish the edge you will damage it. A file may be great for setting the edge but if you stop there you are doing the tool a disservice. Much better to maintain the edge with a stone.

How many knives do you sharpen with a file? It's the same act. A convex grind is easier to maintain with a wheel or stone. Use a file all you like but all you are doing is removing more metal in a non-uniform fashion that will leave your edge lopsided and weaker than using proper maintenance techniques.

A bastard file is something I would consider using on a lawn mower blade, it certainly wouldn't find it's way to any of my good tools but to each their own.