Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 16:58   #1
countrygun

Frankenchester: "It..Is...Alive...Ahahaha"

Well, I have finally almost finished a project that has been on my "Bucket list" for years.

Tactical Shotguns

Yes, it's a Winchester 97 and believe me I have worked a while to get it to happen this far. There is something in me tht will not let me cut down an original old gun unless it's condition or someone else's work or another factor renders it of ZERO collector's interest, or at least close.

So a bit of working on making it happen, some parts, sitting on my hands waiting for someone to decide about an offer and I have a "Frankenchester" it is a 97 take down made from two separate, non-matching halves and some scavenged parts.

Tactical Shotguns

It is as mechanically tight as new one, even though it looks like poo. No guilt when I cut it down, no Chinese copy. I will refinish the nice original wood myself.
I have already decided to go with the original 20" length of the trench and riot models. Now I have to decide on metal finish all "gloss blue, Matte, mixture?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:01   #2
Chiefret

I feel you. I have the same shotgun with 30 inch barrel. It belonged to my grandfather. It wasn't in great shape and during the time my father had it the barrel became pitted. I had a smith cut it down and cut the grooves for the heat shield. I too have not decided on a finish yet. I'm considering a parked finish.

I'll post a pic in a minute.

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by Chiefret; 03-07-2013 at 20:08..
Chiefret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:07   #3
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefret View Post
I feel you. I have the same shotgun with 30 inch barrel. It belonged to my grandfather. It wasn't in great shape and during the time my father had it the barrel became pitted. I had a smith cut it down and cut the grooves for the heat shield. I too have not decided on a finish yet. I'm considering a parked finish.

I'll post a pic in a minute.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9318cea0.jpg
Cool, yah, Parkerizing was on the list.

I read an article, years ago, about the guns of an old Texas lawman and he had a Winchester '92 and a 97 both had the frames and barrels nickled. It looked cool but not quite my style.
Old 03-07-2013, 20:13   #4
Chiefret

I think if I could someone to put a phosphate finish on it would go with that.

Yeah I'm with you. Nickle looks good on a drill rifle but on a 97?
Old 03-07-2013, 20:39   #5
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Please don't put a heat shield on it. Its the most worthless addition to a tactical shotgun you can make. I'll guarantee you I've shot shotguns on some of the hottest days in the blazing sun of summer in Arizona and literally run 100 shells through my guns in 30-45 minutes and couldn't burn myself if I tried.

Also, personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of a blue job--shiney or matte. It will cost you more than $200 for a first class blue job and even then they will round edges dull your lettering to prep the metal for the salt bath. I'd get it Cerrakoted--around here that's about $125 and as far as a gun finish it provides superior protection to bluing. You also get abundant color choices. There's Cerakote that looks like matte blue or gray parkerizing etc...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 03-07-2013 at 20:43..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:48   #6
Chiefret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Please don't put a heat shield on it. Its the most worthless addition to a tactical shotgun you can make.

But it's the only way to attach your bayonet. How else are you gonna scare off those home invaders.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:01   #7
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Please don't put a heat shield on it. Its the most worthless addition to a tactical shotgun you can make. I'll guarantee you I've shot shotguns on some of the hottest days in the blazing sun of summer in Arizona and literally run 100 shells through my guns in 30-45 minutes and couldn't burn myself if I tried.

Also, personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of a blue job--shiney or matte. It will cost you more than $200 for a first class blue job and even then they will round edges dull your lettering to prep the metal for the salt bath. I'd get it Cerrakoted--around here that's about $125 and as far as a gun finish it provides superior protection to bluing. You also get abundant color choices. There's Cerakote that looks like matte blue or gray parkerizing etc...
I am not going with the handguard, I am into more of the old "lawman" but I am not worried about the polishing for the bluing because I have a very good smith right down the road and I will probably do the metal prep myself. I've done if before.

I have considered the Cerakote and might yet but the local guy doesn't do it yet and I don't want to send it off to folks who don't have '97 experience like this old guy does. I know his work, and ..really (I have 3 "modern" social pumps" and three "coach guns" already) save $75 to even $150 on the finish of a project you are doing simply for your own pleasure?

Not every bluing job is done wrong and I am going to bet there are folks that could screw up Cerakote.

Heck I can do a hot Belgian blue and have a sandblaster to give an even Matte if I want.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:02   #8
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefret View Post
But it's the only way to attach your bayonet. How else are you gonna scare off those home invaders.
Rack the slide.

If that fails follow uncle Joes advice and fire in the air or through the door.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:49   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I am not going with the handguard, I am into more of the old "lawman" but I am not worried about the polishing for the bluing because I have a very good smith right down the road and I will probably do the metal prep myself. I've done if before.

I have considered the Cerakote and might yet but the local guy doesn't do it yet and I don't want to send it off to folks who don't have '97 experience like this old guy does. I know his work, and ..really (I have 3 "modern" social pumps" and three "coach guns" already) save $75 to even $150 on the finish of a project you are doing simply for your own pleasure?

Not every bluing job is done wrong and I am going to bet there are folks that could screw up Cerakote.

Heck I can do a hot Belgian blue and have a sandblaster to give an even Matte if I want.
Sandblast? No. Bead blast...yes! Sandblast is too course.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45   #10
Batesmotel

John Browning strikes again.

Congrats.