SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:10   #1
glock2740
Gun lover.

Windham SRC any good? Worth $1143 NIB?

Never held or shot one. I know they are new, which isn't a great thing in my book. Don't know much about them. Anyone own/shot one? Impressions? Thanks.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23   #2
ditto1958

When Bushmaster moved away from Windham, Maine, the original owner of Bushmaster started a new company. He hired most of the old BM people, who have years of experience building AR's.

From what I can tell, the consensus is that the WW rifles are better than Bushmaster ever were.

If you can get one for less than $1200 these days I would jump on it. They are well worth it.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49   #3
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I would stay away till a true track record can be established.

I have worked on a bunch of older Bushmaster agency FA guns that had BCG problems, they worked initially then what I later found out is they used slightly undersized allen head fasteners to hold on the gas key.
I found it out by accident when I purchased a quantity of new gas keys and screws to go through them all, the head of the older fasteners was noticibly smaller and metric.

With the correct fasteners, new gas keys and to spec installation procedures all those weapons are now running great.

If they were willing to cheap out a few cents on the correct fasteners what else would that original managment do?

They may end up being great.. time and track record will tell.
Old 02-14-2013, 14:50   #4
KalashniKEV

Once the market stabilizes you will be able to buy literally *ten times the gun* for that price.

I'd hold off.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:56   #5
ditto1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
I would stay away till a true track record can be established.

I have worked on a bunch of older Bushmaster agency FA guns that had BCG problems, they worked initially then what I later found out is they used slightly undersized allen head fasteners to hold on the gas key.
I found it out by accident when I purchased a quantity of new gas keys and screws to go through them all, the head of the older fasteners was noticibly smaller and metric.

With the correct fasteners, new gas keys and to spec installation procedures all those weapons are now running great.

If they were willing to cheap out a few cents on the correct fasteners what else would that original managment do?

They may end up being great.. time and track record will tell.
I don't own a Windham rifle, nor am I in any way associated with the company. In all honesty, if a similar Colt rifle were available to me for a reasonable cost, I think I would buy it over the WW, if for no other reason than I would feel secure that the Colt would hold its value.

That being said, everything I have read and seen about WW's rifle has been extremely positive. At the same time, Bushmaster reputation has been slipping since they moved their manufacturing. All of the Windham rifles I have seen in stores look to be very, very well made.

Last edited by ditto1958; 02-14-2013 at 15:58..
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 16:15   #6
USMCsilver
Boat Life ©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
Once the market stabilizes you will be able to buy literally *ten times the gun* for that price.

I'd hold off.
A complete AR for $114.30? Really? Can I get in line to get one of yours?

$749 would be a fair retail for their product, IMHO, from what I've read. However, I don't need one, so my input is moot.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 18:05   #7
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have several old Bushmasters built by the same people.
If these WW are anywhere close to the same I would not hesitate to get one.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 18:21   #8
Whazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I have several old Bushmasters built by the same people.
If these WW are anywhere close to the same I would not hesitate to get one.
Same experience, have owned two Bushy rifles and never had any problems with them, one was shot extensively and functions just fine.
Whazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:43   #9
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

If you have to buy now, and that model has the features you seek, the price is a fair one. As mentioned, the likelihood of prices falling to an equilibrium below current levels is a chance anyone buying now must take. Do you need a defense rifle right now?

Of course, there is always a chance that increased societal tensions and/or increased government interference in the free market could cause a price rise. For many, the risk of governmental interference in the marketplace and the recreational value of owning now justifies the expense/risk of buying now. Is it to be a tool, toy, investment, or a combination?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:49   #10
Ruggles

Quote:

I'd hold off.
Oh I just gotta know.....

What AR is 10x the gun the WW is? And please let me know how it is 10x the gun

If you fail to respond I will understand why.......
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:54   #11
alexanderg23

You did fine,hope your WIFE enjoys it.....
Old 02-15-2013, 00:51   #12
BenjiEDF

Yes Windham is one of the better makes of AR's nowadays. I paid $899 for mine but in todays climate $1143 is tolerable. The Windham's are better than the old Bushmasters.
They are not a new company, most of their staff are former Bushmaster employees in Maine with decades of experience and they have a point to prove.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44   #13
WinterWizard

Jump all over it in this climate. I own the same rifle. Shoots great. Not a single problem with it in about 1500 rounds since last July. I don't regret my decision to get an SRC, at all.

Ignore anyone who says they are "old Bushmasters." WW is a new company, using that opportunity to make a new, improved product.

By the by, how long does something have to be out before it is proven? They have been in business for about 2 years and probably sold many thousands of rifles with no major gripes, recalls, problems, etc...

Last edited by WinterWizard; 02-15-2013 at 01:46..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03   #14
R2D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Never held or shot one. I know they are new, which isn't a great thing in my book. Don't know much about them. Anyone own/shot one? Impressions? Thanks.
M.S.R.P. - $1040.00 according to Windham web site.

I own their HBC model and love it - tight, accurate. Mine is about a pound heavier than the model you listed (SRC), most of that is due to different barrel. I added their recoil pad, different sling (padded) and optics.

I have put about 500 rounds through it since Sept with no issues at all.

I would not hesitate to buy another or recommend them.

Also they come with a lifetime warranty which is also transferable.

Last edited by R2D2; 02-15-2013 at 05:05.. Reason: added other info
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:34   #15
mgs
Always Carrying

I handled one and was not overly impressed. Nothing jumped out at me as quality. Just another AR. Fit & finish were so so. I'll keep the six I already have.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03   #16
Ruggles

I have handled a half dozen or do examples of WW and they have all been seemed well built to me.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12   #17
M&P15T
Beard One

I do like the fact that they have 4150 CL 1/9" barrels. Those are not common on factory built rifles, and work well with the typical 55gr. FMJ ammo most people shoot.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15   #18
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Oh I just gotta know.....

What AR is 10x the gun the WW is? And please let me know how it is 10x the gun

If you fail to respond I will understand why.......
Any serious AR (Colt, Noveske, DD, BCM, LMT) is better than one of these commercial spec junkers for the following reasons:

1) The gas port will be properly sized at .063.

(pull the gas block on that rifle- a 1/16 drill bit will be a hot dog down a hallway in that junker)

2) BCG and FCG parts will be of known quality and not lowest bidder, or built by a rebranded workforce known for spotty QC. (WW is supposedly HPT/MPI testing their bolts now, though)

3) You will get a quality barrel will have the proper twist rate allowing you to fire the widest variety of ammunition accurately.

4) The fit and finish will be superior... if that's your thing.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20   #19
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Any serious AR (Colt, Noveske, DD, BCM, LMT) is better than one of these commercial spec junkers for the following reasons:

1) The gas port will be properly sized at .063.

(pull the gas block on that rifle- a 1/16 drill bit will be a hot dog down a hallway in that junker)

2) BCG and FCG parts will be of known quality and not lowest bidder, or built by a rebranded workforce known for spotty QC. (WW is supposedly HPT/MPI testing their bolts now, though)

3) You will get a quality barrel will have the proper twist rate allowing you to fire the widest variety of ammunition accurately.

4) The fit and finish will be superior... if that's your thing.
How do you know the gas port would be the wrong size?
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22   #20
msuben

I have a Windham SRC and it has been flawless. Eats all ammo and no problems. Also very accurate. Windham will also gunsmith new parts with free labor as long as you buy the parts from them. They did a trigger job for me at no cost. Also added a free float tube that they installed at no charge. Free shipping back and forth too. They stand behind their products and have awesome customer service. I say go for it!
msuben is offline   Reply With Quote