Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2013, 13:00   #21
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskershooter23 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the responces, I've become a huge fan of this site. Most everyone is great about helping us Newbies!

So on average how much more do they run compared to a similar gun in .223?

Another question, I'm attending the gun show this weekend in Vegas(I live here) we have 3 shows here in the next month. I do not currently own a AR in any caliber but am looking for the best deal I can find before I buy. I understand I will pay more than those who bought theirs pre-panic but will NOT over pay to the extent of some of those people out there. In saying that I probably wont get one at any of the gun shows BUT should I pick up ammo with out even owning a gun for it if the price is right just to get ahead and be ready for when I do make the purchase? Or should I wait to see if prices drop by the time I actually find a deal on the gun I want? Along with that should I try and pick up some mags just to have? Its just a matter of time before I get the gun but here in Vegas its almost impossible to find .223 or anything else for that matter.
About $300 to $500 more than an AR-15 but finding one may be the trick right now. The LMT is real nice but real scarce also.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 15:22   #22
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRider View Post
I have one built on a Tactical Machining lower with a DPMS 24" fluted bbl. and a magpul PRS stock. I built it to be a semi-auto sniper configuration. It is heavy. I can shoot a four round group (100 yard) that a dime will cover the center of all four rounds.
I have essentially the same rifle, but it's a factory DPMS LR308... with the same upper. I too added a Magpul stock. I have mine topped with a Tasco (aka SWFA SuperSniper) 10x42 Mildot scope. Awesome combo, but as SpectreRider states it's a HEAVY piece of gear. Great glass for $300 BTW. Likewise I can put rounds into a dime size group all day at 100 yards if I do my part. SWEET!

BTW - shooting Federal Premium 168 grain Gold Medal Match out of mine.
and Black Rifle club member #423
Pennsylvania Glockers club member #107

Last edited by exmdshooter; 02-15-2013 at 15:27..
exmdshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 20:22   #23
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
I have one of these also with the heavy 24" barrel and Magpul furniture. It's a great shooter. Sub MOA with my handloads and darn close with factory ammo. It likes the lighter stuff. 150 and 168 gr preferred. It loves Lapua 167gr scenar bullets.

I'm glad I bought 4, 20 rd magpul magazines when I got the rifle. Haven't seen 10 or 20's for this rifle since the troubles started.
my buddy has the same rifle and has had time to work up loads and is getting sub MOA with 165's (Sierras) I am not concerned about eventual accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskershooter23 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the responces, I've become a huge fan of this site. Most everyone is great about helping us Newbies!

So on average how much more do they run compared to a similar gun in .223?

Another question, I'm attending the gun show this weekend in Vegas(I live here) we have 3 shows here in the next month. I do not currently own a AR in any caliber but am looking for the best deal I can find before I buy. I understand I will pay more than those who bought theirs pre-panic but will NOT over pay to the extent of some of those people out there. In saying that I probably wont get one at any of the gun shows BUT should I pick up ammo with out even owning a gun for it if the price is right just to get ahead and be ready for when I do make the purchase? Or should I wait to see if prices drop by the time I actually find a deal on the gun I want? Along with that should I try and pick up some mags just to have? Its just a matter of time before I get the gun but here in Vegas its almost impossible to find .223 or anything else for that matter.
If things equalize they are not too much more $$$, I paid $980 I think for mine (pre-panic).

Mine has no irons and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X scope on a PEPR mount.

It is getting a Timney or like aftermarket trigger in the next couple weeks too.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 21:08   #24
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmdshooter View Post
I have essentially the same rifle, but it's a factory DPMS LR308... with the same upper. I too added a Magpul stock. I have mine topped with a Tasco (aka SWFA SuperSniper) 10x42 Mildot scope. Awesome combo, but as SpectreRider states it's a HEAVY piece of gear. Great glass for $300 BTW. Likewise I can put rounds into a dime size group all day at 100 yards if I do my part. SWEET!

BTW - shooting Federal Premium 168 grain Gold Medal Match out of mine.
Same here, Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr sierra match bthp. As close to good handload as factory gets.

As far as how much a AR.308 costs, I sourced each part about as cheaply as I could. Still not a cheap rifle though.

AR.308
--------
TM10 Stripped Lower Reciever SN TM00010XX 229.00
FL sales tax 13.75
DPMS Complete 24" Bull upper Carbon Handguard 725.00
FL sales tax 43.50
Magpul PRS Gen 2 Stock 255.00
ERGO Sure Grip w-Palm Shelf 53.56
.308 Mil-spec Buffer Tube Assembly 43.97
DPMS Lower Reciever Parts Kit 58.99
DPMS 19 Round .308 Magazine (x3)- 69.00
DPMS 4 Round .308 Magazine 23.00
Pride and Fowler RR-800-1 3-9x42 Scope w/sunshade 538.95
Leupold 30mm scope rings 148.00
Geissele LR-308 small pin Super Dynamic Two Stage Enhanced Trigger 220.00
Butler Creek flip up scope covers 22.00
Harris bi-pod (already had it) 73.00
Pelican rifle case 170.00
Shipping charges approx 25.00

TOTAL 2711.72

That Geissele trigger is worth every penny and then some.

Anyone needing glass might want to go look at the specs on that Pride and Fowler scope. It is great glass and the reticle is a unique design that is being copied (poorly) by some of the big scope makers.

Last edited by SpectreRider; 02-15-2013 at 21:13..
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:01   #25
FatBoy

I love my 16" AR10. Nice light package for what it is. Sub 8lbs plain. I added a 3x AGOG. Not a tack driver at 1.5moa, but a handy package w/ some punch behind it. I was able to cobble it together for real cheap back when ArmaLite had great 12 days of ArmaLite sales before Christmas. About $750 including the transfer of the lower. Plus I got $200 off the ACOG when Microsoft was pushing their Live search portal. Someday I'd like to put a FF tube on it.

Oh, I'm one of those anal people about the whole AR10 being an ArmaLite. Not because I think they are superior, as they're not, but unlike the AR15, the parts aren't cross compatable between manufactures . Some new folks assume they are and it can cause problems while discussing features .

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by FatBoy; 02-16-2013 at 03:09..
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:24   #26
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRider View Post
...That Geissele trigger is worth every penny and then some.

Anyone needing glass might want to go look at the specs on that Pride and Fowler scope. It is great glass and the reticle is a unique design that is being copied (poorly) by some of the big scope makers.
How difficult was it to install / adjust your Geissele trigger? I realize you built your rifle from a stripped lower, so "installation" was part of the process anyway, but I see you adjust the first stage weight by bending the spring, then the second stage letoff with a screw. Just wondering how much mucking around it took to get right. The trigger on my DPMS is one thing I'm thinking of changing, and Timney only makes a single stage for .308 rifles... really like a two-stage pull.

That Pride & Fowler looks like an interesting scope. The Rapid Reticle intrigues me... very similar to the one in my ACOG that sits atop my intermediate range 5.56 AR. Be easy to transition back and forth with similar reticles on the two rifles.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:22   #27
onebigelf

I also have a DPMS LR308, mine is the T model with the 16" barrel and a fixed stock. It's been perfectly reliable with Magpul mags and will easily go under MOA to the point that I chose not to replace my Rem700 SPS Tactical. The original triggers are absolutely awful and it's hard to shoot well with it, but a better trigger makes all the difference. I added good glass as well. I don't consider it heavy. Granddad carried a M1918 BAR all over Europe (12 mags in the standard belt, and he said he carried 1-4 4 mag bandoleers as well). Hard to whine about a couple of extra pounds that only put the rifle into the M1 range.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 17:00   #28
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Quote:
How difficult was it to install / adjust your Geissele trigger? I realize you built your rifle from a stripped lower, so "installation" was part of the process anyway, but I see you adjust the first stage weight by bending the spring, then the second stage letoff with a screw. Just wondering how much mucking around it took to get right. The trigger on my DPMS is one thing I'm thinking of changing, and Timney only makes a single stage for .308 rifles... really like a two-stage pull.

That Pride & Fowler looks like an interesting scope. The Rapid Reticle intrigues me... very similar to the one in my ACOG that sits atop my intermediate range 5.56 AR. Be easy to transition back and forth with similar reticles on the two rifles.
Actually, the Geissele trigger was put in after the full LPK was installed, In other words, I replaced the original trigger after installation.

Just one of the online assembly guides on ar15.com
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

As I recall, You don't have to remove the stock, buffer or buffer tube.

Twenty minute job. You will have to remove the pistol grip (usually a large flathead screwdriver, sometimes a allen wrench) small spring, detent and selector switch to allow access to the hammer and trigger. Takes longer to round up the screw driver, punches, light hammer and a block to rest the lower on while driving out the pins (they almost push out by hand, only needs the lightest taps)than it takes to remove the old trigger and hammer assemblies and install the new.

I did not have to adjust a thing on my trigger. It was already done at the factory by Geissele. First stage is 2.3 pounds, second stage is an additional 1.2 pounds for a total trigger pull of 3.5 pounds. You can feel the first two point three pound take-up and then a resistance as the second stage is met. Hold the trigger against the resistance and then then the shot is perfect just think about pulling the trigger and you are already being pushed by the recoil. Check out the links below, you may find specifications more to your liking than the SD-E trigger. The SSA-E is the same specs with a curved rather than flat trigger.

http://geissele.com/applicationguide.aspx

http://geissele.com/pdfs/TriggerSummarySheet.pdf

For the SD-E, Midway is the cheapest I can find but they are out of stock w/ no backorder. Brownells is a bit more, also out of stock but will accept backorders. The company that can not be named on Glock Talk ( BxOxTxAxCxH TxAxCxTxIxCxAxL) seems to be in stock at the same price as Brownells.

BTW/ if anybody knows whatinthehell B0Ta<h Ta<tical did to become pariahs on GT I would love to know the story.

If you type the name in and post, it turns to all asterisks like a curse word.

The only complaint I have with the Rapid Reticle is that because the reticle is on the first focal plane it changes size with zooming the magnification. That allows the drop compensation and drift compensation to be acurate at all magnifications, BUT, when it shrinks, (low magnification) it is so small that it is difficult for my less than perfect eyes to see.

Last edited by SpectreRider; 02-16-2013 at 18:50..
Old 02-16-2013, 18:33   #29
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

In order for a mil-dot or ranging reticle to work it HAS to be in the first focal plane (and thus change size as the scope magnification changes). Otherwise the calibration would only be "on" at one specific magnification. There's something to be said for a fixed magnification scope (like my 10x Tasco, or my 4x ACOG) where this isn't an issue.

Thanks for the Geissele info... have to keep my eyes open for one at a good price... in stock... and at an "acceptable" vendor.
Old 02-16-2013, 19:02   #30
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Quote:
In order for a mil-dot or ranging reticle to work it HAS to be in the first focal plane (and thus change size as the scope magnification changes). Otherwise the calibration would only be "on" at one specific magnification. There's something to be said for a fixed magnification scope (like my 10x Tasco, or my 4x ACOG) where this isn't an issue.
Yes, I considered that before going with a 3 to 9 variable.
I figured in the end that the reticle is easy enough to see at 9x and if I have to turn it down to 3x because the shot too near for 9x magnification, drop compensation will not be an issue at all.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43   #31
DrtyHarry

Both DPMS SASS and RRA LAR-8 and both work 100% as long as I clean and property lubricate them.

DH
Old 07-17-2013, 17:24   #32
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

DPMS LR308-AP4

Love it.

This is the test article that 1st got me interested in it:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/24/gu...ms-ap4-lr-308/

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 17:56   #33
vettely

Smith & Wesson M&P-10. Awesome rifle, highly recommend.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 07-17-2013, 18:00   #34
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I've owned a few DPMS LR308 rifles. I've owned a few AR10s.
Best one and most accurate I have ever shot LMT MWS308.

Grouped better with a 16" barrel than the others with 20 or 21" barrels.

Black Rifle Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 18:46   #35
copo9560

Sig 716 Patrol Rifle at Walmart for $1999, right next to the 516 rifle in 5.56 that is $1499. Both piston driven with Magpul furniture.

In my opinion the Colt LE6920 at $1097 is the best buy at Wallyworld.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 19:15   #36
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo9560 View Post
Sig 716 Patrol Rifle at Walmart for $1999, right next to the 516 rifle in 5.56 that is $1499. Both piston driven with Magpul furniture.

In my opinion the Colt LE6920 at $1097 is the best buy at Wallyworld.
What does that have to do with a .308 Winchester platform?
Old 07-17-2013, 19:27   #37
countsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navitimer View Post
Get a LMT MWS 308 and you'll never look back!

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
Ditto....I picked one up when I came home from Afghanistan last year on mid-tour leave. I saw a couple carried by the Brits over there and they raved on them. This wasn't my first .308 but it was my first .308 AR platform.
countsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 19:34   #38
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Need to get a better pic of mine.........
IMO, the LMT is the best .308 AR platform I have tried. With that being said, I am truly happy with it. PMags, KAC mags, even have used a few DPMS mags.......all feed reliably.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 07-17-2013 at 19:39..
Old 07-17-2013, 20:16   #39
rball

I have an R-25 (Remington - I believe the same as a DPMS) with a 20" bbl, in .243 Win. All stock except the new paint job (had to remove the cammo stuff), collapsing stock, and an SSA-E trigger. Using factory Remington, Federal, Winchester deer ammo with varying weights of 85gr and 100 gr, I can average consistent 1.25 - 1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards - off the bench. I have been working up loads using 85gr Sierra Game Kings, so I don't have a good set of groups yet. Hopefully I can get its true accuracy once I get the loads figured out. The only thing I don't like (at least for deer hunting) is that it weighs in at around 10.5-11.0 lbs. It's not the tack driver like some of my bolt actions, but overall it is accurate enough for where I hunt, and fun to shoot.
rball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24   #40
Navitimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by countsk View Post
Ditto....I picked one up when I came home from Afghanistan last year on mid-tour leave. I saw a couple carried by the Brits over there and they raved on them. This wasn't my first .308 but it was my first .308 AR platform.
Thanks for your service countsk! I have also heard great reviews from the Brits who use it as the DM rifle (L129A1), and that was one of the contributing factor to me ultimately choosing the LMT MWS. Thinking about actually using its modularity feature and getting a .260 barrel for it. I also plan on upgrading scopes to a NightForce or possibly one of the offerings from US Optics. Bottom line though is that you can't go wrong with the LMT! Awesome rifle!!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote