GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2013, 16:43   #21
glock031

On paper and in some chrono's WWB shows to be a little hotter. But over the years and again last week i had more problems with WWB ammo than Federal champion in both 40 and 9..

Last week
100 rds Fed champion 9mm shot just fine. 100 rds of WWB 9mm had 7 malfunctions. Those 7 rds were too weak to cycle the next rd.. Could feel and hear the difference. This is about the fourth instance with WWB. Yes i had many good range trips with WWB but they do have some QC issues.
Old 02-17-2013, 16:57   #22
wdp

I've shot several thousand rounds of WWB and Federal Champion in both .40 S&W & .45ACP and never had a single failure in either of my Glocks. I actually preferred the Federal in 100 round bulk boxes because it was less expensive. Today I'll settle for whatever I can get my hands on.
It would be interesting to see a section view of the Federal bullet to see if the manufacturers claim is real related to thin jacketing, or are they just covering their "6" because a lawyer told them so.

Last edited by wdp; 02-17-2013 at 16:58..
wdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50   #23
cadillacguns

Fed 180 gr Champion is waht I range prefer in my Glocks, the WWB is a 165 gr bullet, and more stout. Both should work just fine for you.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13   #24
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacguns View Post
Fed 180 gr Champion is waht I range prefer in my Glocks, the WWB is a 165 gr bullet, and more stout. Both should work just fine for you.
165 gr JHP? WWB?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50   #25
ddawson

Still waiting

This issue is all over the internet, The only one that has not answered and questions is guess who, Federal. I've called left messages. Truly they are the only ones that can resolve this.
ddawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:16   #26
digilo

I shot thousands of 9mm WWB through Glocks and a P-08 Luger. The WWB 9mm was one of the few 115 gr loads that would reliably cycle tthe Luger.
Also, the WWB 115 gr JHP was the only HP that the notoriously finicky Luger would feed, and it fed them 100% reliably. IIRC that load does 1225 fps for 383 ft-lbs of ME- not bad- and uses the same bullet as the Win Silvertip.
Old 02-18-2013, 16:37   #27
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilo View Post
I shot thousands of 9mm WWB through Glocks and a P-08 Luger. The WWB 9mm was one of the few 115 gr loads that would reliably cycle tthe Luger.
Also, the WWB 115 gr JHP was the only HP that the notoriously finicky Luger would feed, and it fed them 100% reliably. IIRC that load does 1225 fps for 383 ft-lbs of ME- not bad- and uses the same bullet as the Win Silvertip.
The fact that it fed thru your Luger says a lot for the WWB. WWB is great ammo.
Old 02-18-2013, 17:56   #28
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
WWB is very good practice ammo.
That's what I have always said.

But with their quality control doing down the ****ter as they move production locations and cheap out on labour, etc...I'm avoiding Winchester when I can, now.

I'd rather save some money and get the cheap russian steel case stuff for my Glocks. Or Rem/UMC or CCI (blazer, blazer brass, or lawman)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:38   #29
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
That's what I have always said.

But with their quality control doing down the ****ter as they move production locations and cheap out on labour, etc...I'm avoiding Winchester when I can, now.

I'd rather save some money and get the cheap russian steel case stuff for my Glocks. Or Rem/UMC or CCI (blazer, blazer brass, or lawman)
Just what is Winchester doing to their production facilities?
Old 02-18-2013, 20:59   #30
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Just what is Winchester doing to their production facilities?
Moving them.

I have also personally experienced multiple Winchester ammunition turds. And Winchester couldn't care less.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06   #31
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Moving them.

I have also personally experienced multiple Winchester ammunition turds. And Winchester couldn't care less.
Moving them where to?
Old 02-19-2013, 14:01   #32
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Moving them where to?
It's things like this, + my actual experience with crap Winchester ammo, + Winchester not giving a damn about the crap ammo I bought from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
ATK and Winchester get all of the big US contracts because they are the only options.

The Union also negotiated giving up pay, benefits, and a weeks vacation. In exchange Winchester said they would stay for up to seven years.

When the membership found out about this deal they kicked the Union guys butt and left him bleeding in the parking lot. The membership voted twice to reject Winchesters offer. There are not going to supplement Winchesters move out of their paychecks.

As it turns out they are going to get the seven years or much of it and did not give up anything.

I would have taken the up to seven years offer and used that time for school or finding other work.

Winchester has tried to break the Union. They even hired scabs at 17.00 per hour to work production on the last strike. It cost them a lot of bad ammo and work place injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
Center fire rifle is still made here with skilled labor. Pistol ammo mostly is made by unskilled but some is still made here.

The bullets themselves may or may not be made here. The machinist here at the old plant are very busy because the unskilled labor at the new plant seem to be excelling at breaking things.

Some of the guys here think that it will still be a few years before all of center fire moves south. I think that there is a learning curve for the new guys. It will not last forever. If enough of the Union employees follow their jobs even for half pay and much less benefits it will help get the new plant running up to full production faster.
Whole thread here:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=union

And much more

So I don't really buy Winchester ammo any more

Old 02-19-2013, 15:04   #33
PVolk

The 180gr Federal Champion is what I prefer to run through my Glock 23c. I've got roughly 3000 rounds of that stuff through it now, and not a single problem to report.

I just wished my local Walmart was still getting the stuff in stock. It's been 6 months since they've had any, and I'm down to my last 2 boxes. I'll be switching to S&B 180gr next.
Old 02-19-2013, 17:06   #34
bobtheelf

Quote:
165 gr JHP? WWB?
No, 165g FMJ. The 100 round packs. The 50 round boxes are 180g.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:39   #35
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheelf View Post
No, 165g FMJ. The 100 round packs. The 50 round boxes are 180g.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08   #36
PghJim

Quote:
WWB is very good practice ammo.
Just a stupid question. When I got on last night you were the last person to post on all but 5 threads. I never could get into every thread enough to say a comment on all of them.

WWB is OK practice ammo in 45 ACP, but I find it relatively dirty compared to others like MagTech. Federal has always been shy about getting higher pressures, but I am sure they have their reasons. I will say that I have found the HST +p in 45 to be a bit hot.

Last edited by PghJim; 02-20-2013 at 07:10..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21   #37
digilo

I've never had a problem with Winchester ammo. No company that I know of turns out 100% perfect product, especially when the number of (widgets) runs in the hundreds of millions.

If the FBI thinks a load is good enough to replace Gold Dots, then I guess it's good enough for me, too.

I don't care much for Federal ammo, as it's usually a weaker load than comparable loads from Rem and Win. They insist on retaining the Hydrashok bullet, which is known to shed it's jacket, or plug up and not expand.

Winchesters politics regarding unions have zero to do with my purchase decision. I think it's funny that people criticize Winchester for the way they deal with the unions, and then recommend buying Russian ammo.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44   #38
ddawson

I finally caved

I found a used glock non ported barrel, on ebay. That should help with federal champion ammo issues. I never got a reply from them.

Last edited by ddawson; 02-20-2013 at 12:53.. Reason: message clarification
ddawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35   #39
PVolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
I found a used glock non ported, on ebay. That should help with federal champion ammo issues. I never got a reply from them.
You found a Glock on eBay...? Or just a barrel?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47   #40
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Just a stupid question. When I got on last night you were the last person to post on all but 5 threads. I never could get into every thread enough to say a comment on all of them.

WWB is OK practice ammo in 45 ACP, but I find it relatively dirty compared to others like MagTech. Federal has always been shy about getting higher pressures, but I am sure they have their reasons. I will say that I have found the HST +p in 45 to be a bit hot.
I like GT. So I post a lot. It is not against GT rules.