Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01   #61
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,356


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
One thing.

All politicians work for MINIMUM WAGE.
Politicians aren't paid a whole bunch and contrary to popular belief, they aren't in it for the pay and benefits package.
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12   #62
hogship
It's MY Island
 
hogship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northwest territory, pardner!
Posts: 12,354
Wow......what an interesting thread!

Somewhere in the mix, should be an honest and unbiased news reporting service, and that it be distributed to all the people. I don't know how you could make consumption of this kind of information mandatory, but a well informed public would be a good thing to wish for........

ooc
__________________
NRA/VFW life, Harley Davidson FXDX, very patriotic!
Old iron pumper w/pony tail, Christian, lathe artist
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:13   #63
gwalchmai
Lucky Member
 
gwalchmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Outside the perimeter
Posts: 46,547


Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
Somewhere in the mix, should be an honest and unbiased news reporting service, and that it be distributed to all the people.
No such thing and you'll hurt yourself if you think so. The best we can hope for is a news market diverse enough to report all the biased sides, so we can choose for ourselves.

We don't have that now.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59   #64
hogship
It's MY Island
 
hogship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northwest territory, pardner!
Posts: 12,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
No such thing and you'll hurt yourself if you think so. The best we can hope for is a news market diverse enough to report all the biased sides, so we can choose for ourselves.

We don't have that now.
This is probably so.

As it is, the vast majority of the news reporting available is unbelievably biased towards the left side of the political spectrum. All the news people in the MSM probably know damn well they are biased, but for reasons of manipulating public opinion, they want everyone who listens to them to think they are getting honest news reporting. Unfortunately, quite a few very gullible, and misinformed people really do believe they are getting honest and accurate news reporting from the MSM......

Somehow, that needs to be changed. Fox News claims to be "fair and balanced", and it's the closest news source to that claim.......maybe what we need is a truly biased, and unapologetic news source from the conservative point of view. It may be biased, but I guess I am biased with a conservative bent.......so, I'd be one who would use a conservative news source.

ooc
__________________
NRA/VFW life, Harley Davidson FXDX, very patriotic!
Old iron pumper w/pony tail, Christian, lathe artist
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 02-16-2013 at 06:59..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14   #65
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Politicians aren't paid a whole bunch and contrary to popular belief, they aren't in it for the pay and benefits package.
Exactly right. They are in it for the insider deals, and the business opportunities, legal and illegal, that come as a perk to the job.

No one ever wonders how a Congressman, whose pay is topped at a relatively low level for a successful person, around $175000 right now, can accumulate millions of dollars in assetts in just a few short years, while people making the same or more, can't. And, it is accepted.

Look at Michelle Obama. Could her $312,000 job at the hospital in Chicago have been any more obvious as a political payoff? And, why didn't the Republicans raise hell about it? Because, they are doing the exact same thing and they don't want any Democrats pointing out there deals. Because they all have them.

And, then they all take jobs as lobbyiest as soon as they get out, and make even more money, because they know who will take money, and for what, and that's worth a lot to businesses needing to get legislation passed.

We gave up the great gift we were given when we let them start calling bribes "campaign contributions" and hiring spouses and family members in do nothing jobs (just like the mafia and unions, which is probably where they got the idea).
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.

Last edited by series1811; 02-16-2013 at 08:15..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28   #66
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen
 
SpectreRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoFla... want to move to America.
Posts: 930
Have the Supreme Court rule that the commerce clause applies only to granting authority to the feds to regulate disputes in commerce between the states, like it actually says.


posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more. -neil peart
What too many in America are missing is a sense of personal responsibility. -me
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37   #67
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRider View Post
Have the Supreme Court rule that the commerce clause applies only to granting authority to the feds to regulate disputes in commerce between the states, like it actually says.


posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Kinda like recommending what my sig line suggests.
__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58   #68
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Exactly right. They are in it for the insider deals, and the business opportunities, legal and illegal, that come as a perk to the job.

No one ever wonders how a Congressman, whose pay is topped at a relatively low level for a successful person, around $175000 right now, can accumulate millions of dollars in assetts in just a few short years, while people making the same or more, can't. And, it is accepted.

Look at Michelle Obama. Could her $312,000 job at the hospital in Chicago have been any more obvious as a political payoff? And, why didn't the Republicans raise hell about it? Because, they are doing the exact same thing and they don't want any Democrats pointing out there deals. Because they all have them.

And, then they all take jobs as lobbyiest as soon as they get out, and make even more money, because they know who will take money, and for what, and that's worth a lot to businesses needing to get legislation passed.

We gave up the great gift we were given when we let them start calling bribes "campaign contributions" and hiring spouses and family members in do nothing jobs (just like the mafia and unions, which is probably where they got the idea).

Reminded me of a famous quote:

"Once a man holds public office he is absolutely no good for honest work.”
Will Rogers
__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07   #69
Vic777
Senior Member
 
Vic777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,571
I would become President, replacing Obama.
__________________
"It's Tom Dwan's World, we just live in it"
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09   #70
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Fix the press. Have them do real investigative journalism and report without bias with the goal of informing the people.


It'll never happen, but it's a nice daydream.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25   #71
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,356


Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Exactly right. They are in it for the insider deals, and the business opportunities, legal and illegal, that come as a perk to the job.

No one ever wonders how a Congressman, whose pay is topped at a relatively low level for a successful person, around $175000 right now, can accumulate millions of dollars in assetts in just a few short years, while people making the same or more, can't. And, it is accepted.

Look at Michelle Obama. Could her $312,000 job at the hospital in Chicago have been any more obvious as a political payoff? And, why didn't the Republicans raise hell about it? Because, they are doing the exact same thing and they don't want any Democrats pointing out there deals. Because they all have them.

And, then they all take jobs as lobbyiest as soon as they get out, and make even more money, because they know who will take money, and for what, and that's worth a lot to businesses needing to get legislation passed.

We gave up the great gift we were given when we let them start calling bribes "campaign contributions" and hiring spouses and family members in do nothing jobs (just like the mafia and unions, which is probably where they got the idea).
Newt Gingrich is my favorite example. Newt was a middle class history professor. Then, Newt got into government. Now, Newt's rich enough to lavish Tiffany jewelry on his young, attractive wife.

Exactly and I know you know precisely how this works. They don't go to DC for the pay or healthcare or the staff. Those things are nice but the real payoff comes on the side and/or when they leave office.

The level of corruption in the passage of Obamacare highlighted exactly how this works. We saw a whole team of Congressmen betray their own principles and their oaths to assist the party and the President in pushing through an extremely unpopular bill against the wishes of their constituency. Shortly after they either retired rather than face the voters or they lost elections.

Why would they do this? Because the Washington machine will scoop them up and fill their pockets. Lucrative lobbying, consulting and BOD gigs await. First you have power and exposure, then you get downright rich.
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31   #72
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Newt Gingrich is my favorite example. Newt was a middle class history professor. Then, Newt got into government. Now, Newt's rich enough to lavish Tiffany jewelry on his young, attractive wife.

Exactly and I know you know precisely how this works. They don't go to DC for the pay or healthcare or the staff. Those things are nice but the real payoff comes on the side and/or when they leave office.

The level of corruption in the passage of Obamacare highlighted exactly how this works. We saw a whole team of Congressmen betray their own principles and their oaths to assist the party and the President in pushing through an extremely unpopular bill against the wishes of their constituency. Shortly after they either retired rather than face the voters or they lost elections.

Why would they do this? Because the Washington machine will scoop them up and fill their pockets. Lucrative lobbying, consulting and BOD gigs await. First you have power and exposure, then you get downright rich.


So, you see fit to step around- ignore-!- an escaped-slave-turned-billionaire --- Obama-- to concentrate on a Republican with ten times the intellect and know-how.

__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42   #73
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,356


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook View Post


So, you see fit to step around- ignore-!- an escaped-slave-turned-billionaire --- Obama-- to concentrate on a Republican with ten times the intellect and know-how.

No, that isn't my intent. I wanted to show that it is a dynamic that plays out on both sides of the aisle.

Look at Bill Clinton. He and Hillary were broke young lawyers before politics. Cattle futures, land deals padded their nest while they prepared to enter office. Coveralls are great for the grand ole opry but not so much for the state house. Now Bill just can't wait to tell someone how wealthy he has become.

Obama was a broke-dick compared to this crowd. Still basically is......but not for long.

Sarah Palin used to shop at Goodwill for clothes. Not anymore.....

Why do politicians crank out books? Because their writings are so widely read? Or is it because money gets funneled to them through mass purchases that end up in landfills?
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 02-16-2013 at 10:47..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43   #74
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,356


We have at least one, perhaps two GTers who work in these circles. It would be interesting if they would weight in on this.





(We may have more than two but I know for sure about those)
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48   #75
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
No, that isn't my intent. I wanted to show that it is a dynamic that plays out on both sides of the aisle.

Look at Bill Clinton. He and Hillary were broke young lawyers before politics. Cattle futures, land deals padded their nest while they prepared to enter office. Coveralls are great for the grand ole opry but not so much for the state house. Now Bill just can't wait to tell someone how wealthy he has become.

Obama was a broke-dick compared to this crowd. Still basically is......but not for long.

Sarah Palin used to shop at Goodwill for clothes. Not anymore.....

Why do politicians crank out books? Because their writings are so widely read? Or is it because money gets funneled to them through mass purchases that end up in landfills?
I know.

Your motives I do not seriously question.

__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55   #76
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,356


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook View Post
I know.

Your motives I do not seriously question.

Then turn on Fox News. Who's talking? Who's on the 3 person panel? Google them and hit their websites. Self-promoters hocking political or financial consulting services. Penny stock pumpers, pollsters, consultants......DC is a money machine.

Here is former Congressman Charlie Melancon from south Louisiana. Charlie's district got redrawn and he knew the gig was up. He did, what? 2 terms in Congress? Used to own a couple of small town Baskin Robbins stores. Now check him out:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...lancon_le.html
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12   #77
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Then turn on Fox News. Who's talking? Who's on the 3 person panel? Google them and hit their websites. Self-promoters hocking political or financial consulting services. Penny stock pumpers, pollsters, consultants......DC is a money machine.

Here is former Congressman Charlie Melancon from south Louisiana. Charlie's district got redrawn and he knew the gig was up. He did, what? 2 terms in Congress? Used to own a couple of small town Baskin Robbins stores. Now check him out:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...lancon_le.html
Broad experience... does that mean he be a 'ho'?

According to the IFA, Melancon is leaving to "pursue business opportunities related to his broad experience in Washington and Louisiana."

(PS: You are assuming to lecture me about 'tuning in to FOX' ?)
__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39   #78
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,356


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook View Post
Broad experience... does that mean he be a 'ho'?

According to the IFA, Melancon is leaving to "pursue business opportunities related to his broad experience in Washington and Louisiana."

(PS: You are assuming to lecture me about 'tuning in to FOX' ?)
I don't understand your comments sky.

Really my comments weren't directed at you but just building on your comments. Sorry if I didn't communicate that effectively.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47   #79
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed
 
barbedwiresmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "Our side of the barbed wire"
Posts: 9,764
One thing? Eliminate fiat currency (and the central banking & fractional reserve lending that accompanies it). All of our ills are but symptoms of this ancient disease. Sadly, not one in a hundred thousand Americans understand this subject.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 16:07   #80
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I don't understand your comments sky.

Really my comments weren't directed at you but just building on your comments. Sorry if I didn't communicate that effectively.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
No biggie; I just thought my conservative views were fairly well established, here.

__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:44.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,097
317 Members
780 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31