Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2013, 13:26   #1
OSUJEEPER

Left hander building his first AR

Hello everyone. I am in the process of building my first AR. I had had grand plans of building myself a left handed AR out of some great parts. I want a gun i can use for the range and be very accurate/ as well as a home defense gun. That i can take some defensive rifle classes with. I was going to use this Upper http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=398 with this LPK http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...fde-p-879.html
and I was going to put it all on the Core 15 lower i picked up right before the whole gun world went crazy.
Three things have happened since then.
1. I'm getting impatient and really want a functioning AR not parts.
2. I'm wondering if....since i'm getting impatient....if I should just build an AR to have an AR and compromise on the parts just to get one. This would not be a left handed one. but just a regular 16in pretty clost to mil spec AR.
3. My buddy just bought his first AR and I'm getting really jealous.

Also money will not allow me to but everything at once. so I'll still be spacing it out over the next few months anyway. I have the Lower and the buffer assembly at this time, but nothing else. I'm looking for a little advise on what to do.
Should I hold out and put the parts i want on it...... Or should I break down and compromise in order to build one slightly faster.
Thanks
OSUJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 14:47   #2
MstrPara
Go Loud.....

As a fellow southpaw.......RH eject (good quality mfr). Ambi charging handle, ambi safety.

Good to go. Just my .02. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2013, 14:51   #3
awpk03s

Don't compromise in quality of parts.

That said, as a fellow lefty, you don't need a LH upper. I have one, its fine. I have a RH one it's also fine. Just get an ambi selector and charging handle.
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 14:57   #4
KalashniKEV

I'd say you can skip the ambi CH... I thought they all were already.

Ambi selector is a must for all because it helps you get the safety back ON faster before you move.

I ran a LH Stag for a while but found that my rack and roll muscle memory had me dropping malf'ed and deformed rounds and brass back into the action.

Plus it's faster to diagnose and reduce a malfunction as a left eye dominant shooter and a standard eject rifle (of any type).
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 15:11   #5
zhix

Not a fan of stag arms, I believe Rock River or another company makes LH uppers now; either way the last time this came up lefty shooters like the guys who already posted mostly use regular RH ARs
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 15:33   #6
OSUJEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhix View Post
Not a fan of stag arms, I believe Rock River or another company makes LH uppers now; either way the last time this came up lefty shooters like the guys who already posted mostly use regular RH ARs

Thanks for the input guys... Why are you not a fan of Stag? I've only heard good things. The reason I ask is I like to hear all sides so I can make an informed decision.
OSUJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 15:43   #7
zhix

I had a lot of trouble with an SBR of theirs and the customer service I got from them having to return it to them 3 times. On another site there's also guys who had issues with their 6.8 rifles. F rating from the BBB for because they don't respond to customer complaints. I had heard good things about them before buying one as well.
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 15:47   #8
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

Southpaw shooter here and I have NO trouble at all with a "standard" right-handed AR. Thinking about it, an ambi selector might be nice, but I've adapted and RH ejection has never been a problem for me. Since I always put two fingers on the charging handle I've never seen the point of an ambi (or left handed) one of those.
and Black Rifle club member #423
Pennsylvania Glockers club member #107
exmdshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 21:46   #9
samuse

Hell I'm a right handed shooter and I can run a right handed AR left handed just fine. With no ambi anything.

You'll be OK.

I recommend buying a complete upper from a good manufacturer.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 22:06   #10
Cole125
Silver Membership

South paw here and I run regular right handed ARs, no ambi controls or anything like that.

My opinion is its best to shoot and train with standard AR so you can pick up and use ANY AR under stress.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18   #11
Kloogee

Another lefty here with a standard RH gun. I plan on adding an ambi selector, but not sure it's necessary. I started out originally looking for a LH gun, but decided against it largely for resale purposes. I don't plan on ever selling my gun, but if I ever do, I didn't want to minimize the market to sell it to. Also, my boys are righties, so easier for them.

So far, I'm happy with the choice.

Last edited by Kloogee; 02-16-2013 at 08:19..
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03   #12
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
Im a weird one I like to shoot pistols right handed but rifles left. You will be fine going with a right hand ejected upper. I put an ambi safety on one rifle and really like it the other has a standard safety I just flip my thumb over to put it on fire and trigger finger to make it safe. Its good to be able to do both just incase. But id still get the ambi safety. I plan to put one on the second rifle.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-17-2013, 20:52   #13
remlap

southpaw also my AR's are totally all righty never had a problem and I can run them as fast and safely as my right handed friends.
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 21:04   #14
Fredder
TANSTAAFL

I shoot Lefty and I prefer shooting RH rifles. It is a non-issue IMO.