Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 18:22   #21
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Better hope the pro-RKBA justices stay healthy. Barry has his picks ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:27   #22
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by writwing View Post
If it goes to the SCOTUS we are in trouble.
What has changed since Heller and McDonald?
quan lot rbi do boi dep xe day doi ao so mi nu thoi trang cong so chup anh cho be

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:46..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:44   #23
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Almost all constitutional laws/amendments are subject to reasonable restrictions. It doesn't seem like Scalia is making threats, just stating a fact. He firmly believes that the Constitution is a dead document that needs to be upheld based on its original interpretation, not re-examined during every socio-political fad that comes along.

It does normally take years for challenges to work their way up to the SCOTUS, but it looks Scalia is intentionally trying to speed up the process and lock in various pro-2A decisions before Obama finishes flipping the court to progressives. He's smart enough to know from history what will happen if the public is disarmed.
Man, I hope like hell you are right!

I'm so used to having government people do exactly what I never thought they would do, that I guess I just have learned to expect the worst, and hope for the best.

Your thoughts do make quite a bit of "horse sense", and if that's Scalia's plans, he will gain back some respect he lost with Obamacare decision.

ooc

Note: The more I think about it, the more I'm totally amazed that Elana Kagan has actually gone hunting with Scalia. I had her pegged as someone who wishes a total disarming of the American public.......this can't be a bad thing. I'm sure Scalia is working on her to support constitutional rights, and that can't be a bad thing either. Any change in Kagan's gun philosophy can't get any worse, and can only get better.

Very good on Scalia.......

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:05   #24
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
I had her pegged as someone who wishes a total disarming of the American public.......this can't be a bad thing. I'm sure Scalia is working on her to support constitutional rights, and that can't be a bad thing either. Any change in Kagan's gun philosophy can't get any worse, and can only get better.

Very good on Scalia.......

ooc
Hypocrisy is a core tenet of liberalism. There are plenty of left-wingers who shoot guns, who would love to ban AR-15s, regardless. She may have personally a hunting trip, but as a progressive, her overriding goal in all things is to cement the power of the government over the citizenry.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52   #25
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
Unless I'm very mistaken, the military uses a select-fire, fully automatic, M-16 carbine, as does many law enforcement agencies here in the U.S.
However, I doubt that since full autos have been "regulated" since 1934(?).
I doubt there's little chance that they will ever be obtainable (mainly due to the price) for the average guy but I do believe that we can protect our rights to own pistols and rifles that use semi-auto technology which has been around for more than a century.

The more anti-gun folks (i.e. Piers Morgan etc.) will occasionally toss in the inflamatory and complete B.S. about rocket launchers, bazookas and tanks, which I doubt any sane supporter of the Second Amendment, or SCOTUS would agree with.
We use both the M-16 and M-4. Neither shoot fully automatic. It fires semi-automatic or it fires a 3-rd burst. The changes were made a while back. The major reason for the change to burst, versus full auto, was due to inaccuracies in the full auto mode and ammo consumption. We do have a fully automatic weapon in squads- the M249 SAW. We also have the crew served M-240B, which replaced the M-60 machine gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249_light_machine_gun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31   #26
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I could be wrong here, but doesn't the supreme court generally deal with stuff only after it's taken effect? Meaning that the gun laws have to be passed before the Supreme Court can rule on whether or not they're constitutional? Or can they rule on them while they're still in the bill stage?
Had ObamaCare taken effect when they ruled on it?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36   #27
railfancwb

Multi-round burst fire is considered fully automatic by BATFE. "More than one round with a single trigger pull" is the criteria. May be urban legend, but I've heard of people getting in serious trouble when their semi-automatic malfunctioned and fired multiple rounds with a single trigger pull.
Old 02-17-2013, 15:56   #28
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
I think you're confusing the issue with word definitions, and applications.

Obamacare was passed, and it was the law when the SCOTUS ruled on it. It was not fully implemented, and still isn't......

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 00:43   #29
Edge

scalia is very strong on 2nd amendment. i'm sure he was trying to convert kegan. lots of good discussion of judicial cases at illinoiscarry. guru and others trying to get cases before scotus before obama has a chance to flip court. this court is solidly 4-4 with kenedy as tie breaker who ruled in favor of 2nd on heller and mcdonald.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:09   #30
steveksux
Massive Member

You need standing to get in front of the court, have to be adversely affected to have standing, hard to imagine how you'd be adversely affected by something that has not taken effect yet. Maybe I'm oversimplifying or don't understand that aspect of the law.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44   #31
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

I have heard Scalia mention in an interview soon after the Heller case that the 2A allows for arms up to what a modern ground infantry soldier would be issued. This is why things like Stinger missiles, mounted machine guns, landmines, tanks, etc. are still reasonable restrictions.

Would that mean the NFA could get overturned, or at least modified? I highly doubt we will be able to get selective fire but if they go down the ground infantry route they will have to address this issue.

|
|
|

Last edited by Fear Night; 02-18-2013 at 06:49..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00   #32
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
The more anti-gun folks (i.e. Piers Morgan etc.) will occasionally toss in the inflamatory and complete B.S. about rocket launchers, bazookas and tanks, which I doubt any sane supporter of the Second Amendment, or SCOTUS would agree with.
I have to ask why your owning a tank is any more dangerous to anyone than your owning an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine, or a Glock 17 with a 33-round magazine, or a single-shot Mossberg .22, for that matter?

Would owning a tank suddenly turn on an 'evil' switch in you?

Do we accept that some military weapons simply provide too much temptation to commit acts of violence against innocent people?

Is it OK to ban tank ownership by civilians outright?

Why? Because the potential for destruction is so much higher? Like the potential of an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine, as compared to a semi-automatic 'hunting' rifle with a 5-round magazine?
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 02-18-2013 at 07:01..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 21:38   #33
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
I have to ask why your owning a tank is any more dangerous to anyone than your owning an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine, or a Glock 17 with a 33-round magazine, or a single-shot Mossberg .22, for that matter?

Would owning a tank suddenly turn on an 'evil' switch in you?

Do we accept that some military weapons simply provide too much temptation to commit acts of violence against innocent people?

Is it OK to ban tank ownership by civilians outright?

Why? Because the potential for destruction is so much higher? Like the potential of an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine, as compared to a semi-automatic 'hunting' rifle with a 5-round magazine?
Goods questions, I've never seen answered on GT or anywhere. Do you know the answers?

Should civilians have anything they can afford to buy? I'd trust you to have hand grenades, for example. But I'd have concern if a criminal stole them from you, and then sold them to other more dangerous criminals.

When I say "concern", I don't mean laws, so I'm not jumping to conclusions.

Would criminals use hand grenades for mayhem? I don't know.

Or maybe they wouldn't be any more dangerous than guns. I don't know.

Either way, I'd first prefer keeping violent felons locked up in jail .

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-18-2013 at 21:40..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 21:45   #34
Slug71

We should be writing and pressuring Scalia too.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 00:08   #35
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
Yes.....It mentions that Elana Keagan harvested a whitetail doe in Wyoming.

Familiarizing her with firearms isn't a bad thing, but I am not feeling very good about this at all.

What Scalia needs to do is teach her about what the constitution means.....and, if she is to uphold it, it really doesn't matter if she is pro or anti-gun.......the constitution is what it is, and it's about maintaining the relationship between "the people" and a militia. Because the second amendment is one sentence, and there is no room for doubt that arming private citizens for no other purpose than that of military preparedness is the sole focus, and objective of the document.

I'm getting really tired of hearing about hunting, and self defense. These things are included in the total meaning of the second amendment by default.....but they are not in any way, the purpose, or intent of the second amendment.

Why is Scalia not mentioning these things? I'll tell what I think all this means.........he is ready to fold under pressure, and not uphold the constitution for the very reason it was written, or exists.

ooc

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
After Obamacare, anyone who thinks they will rule Constitutionally on guns is delusional.
You are both 100% correct.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 00:10   #36
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
It had been passed into law.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote