Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2013, 23:03   #1
Rich22

Options for Stocks

Did a search and surprisingly did not find much relavent data. Looking to replace my stock that came with my parts kit with a better model. Don't know really where to start looking. Need significant adjustability since the wife will be using this gun also. Standard AR MilSpec lower. If it had some kind of recoil pad for her that would be nice and definitely need a place to attach a sling. If this has been discussed to death before and I missed it in my search just put up the link and accept my apologies.

Thank you
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 23:06   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

MagPul CTR, or possibly an ACS or STR.

Any standard collapsing stock will accomodate shooters ranging from 4'9" to 6'8" (having seen it myself in my unit).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 23:19   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

Any standard collapsing stock will accomodate shooters ranging from 4'9" to 6'8" (having seen it myself in my unit).
Bingo.

I have an ACS on my SBR, and an STR on my 16" mid length. The ACS helps balance our more muzzle heavy guns, or if you simply must have a crapton of storage on your stock. The STR balances out my 16" midlength very nicely.
Old 02-15-2013, 23:30   #4
mvician
Lifetime Membership

In the same price range as the Magpul MOE, take a look at the new B5 SOPMOD Bravo.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 02-15-2013, 23:38   #5
Ruggles

I really like the Rogers Super Stock as well. Magpul makes top notch stuff as posted.
Ruggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Not a fan of the Rogers stock adjustment latch, I don't consider it an improvement over the original Colt stock. For your purposes though, it would do fine.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43   #7
ratf51

I have a Magpul MOE, I like it. Lots of choices out there, though. Have fun deciding!

Also, have your wife shoot the gun before you get a recoil pad. Honestly, recoil from the .223/5.56 is not bad--let her determine if she needs the recoil pad. Happy shooting!
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57   #8
K. Foster

There are a lot of options out there. Magpul MOE is a popular choice. If you want something with a wide cheek rest, VLTOR is a good option.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13   #9
Rich22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
I have a Magpul MOE, I like it. Lots of choices out there, though. Have fun deciding!

Also, have your wife shoot the gun before you get a recoil pad. Honestly, recoil from the .223/5.56 is not bad--let her determine if she needs the recoil pad. Happy shooting!
A good point, will be a 300 Blackout so perhaps a little more recoil but certainly not 308 or 300 type.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15   #10
Rich22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Bingo.

I have an ACS on my SBR, and an STR on my 16" mid length. The ACS helps balance our more muzzle heavy guns, or if you simply must have a crapton of storage on your stock. The STR balances out my 16" midlength very nicely.
Should have also mentioned, I really have no need for storage, usability adjustability durability and weight are far far more important
Old 02-16-2013, 09:20   #11
Rich22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post

Do like the looks of the CTR, any downsides to this? Will be almost never prone shooting 95% will be standing with lots of movement other 5% sitting with support. Unit does look nice and light
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
Do like the looks of the CTR, any downsides to this? Will be almost never prone shooting 95% will be standing with lots of movement other 5% sitting with support. Unit does look nice and light
Only if you prefer a flared stock for better cheek weld, or want storage. That's why I run an STR instead of the CTR. Otherwise, not a thing wrong with the CTR.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02   #13
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I love the Roger super stock and the adjustment latch works fine--at least in the three that I own. I like the Rogers stock better than either the Magpul MOE or the Magpul CTR that I replaced.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 13:20   #14
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
Did a search and surprisingly did not find much relavent data. Looking to replace my stock that came with my parts kit with a better model. Don't know really where to start looking. Need significant adjustability since the wife will be using this gun also. Standard AR MilSpec lower. If it had some kind of recoil pad for her that would be nice and definitely need a place to attach a sling. If this has been discussed to death before and I missed it in my search just put up the link and accept my apologies.

Thank you
Did your parts kit come with the standard adjustible m4 stock? What is your reason for upgrading it? It's adjustible, durable, light, and has sling attachment points. You can also put a recoil pad on it for 10 bucks or so. Just wondering what kind of problems you were having with it to need to replace it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 17:29   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

What Plank said.

The CTR is an original stock with major upgrades.

The STR adds storage, much like the original Crane stock. I like the STR and ACS but they came out after I bought my CTR and I have not seen the need to change since it's not a duty rifle at the moment. For a duty weapon, i'd get one with storage for some extra batteries.
Old 02-16-2013, 17:51   #16
Ruggles

Question.

Am I the only one that prefers a A2 fixed stock to a adjustable one?
Old 02-16-2013, 17:53   #17
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

First you will have to determine what size the buffer tube is.

I really like the Magpul stocks. Those come with a thin rubber recoil pad, but you can put a thicker one on it for about 20 bucks. Those would be available at just about an retailer that sells MP.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 17:58   #18
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Question.

Am I the only one that prefers a A2 fixed stock to a adjustable one?
Nope.

I actually prefer an A2 stock especially with their toe swivel stud so I can use standard M1907 slings.

They do however look a little out of place on a carbine length gun, and even stupider when you get one of the cut down entry versions that Rock River sells.

I do feel the need for a short collapsible stock on a HD gun though, just for the sake of compactness.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:13   #19
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Nope.

I actually prefer an A2 stock especially with their toe swivel stud so I can use standard M1907 slings.

They do however look a little out of place on a carbine length gun, and even stupider when you get one of the cut down entry versions that Rock River sells.

I do feel the need for a short collapsible stock on a HD gun though, just for the sake of compactness.
I have fixed A2s on my 20" and my 18" right now. Thinking of adding one on my 16" Dissipator as well. The newer Magpul fixed stock looks nice.

I guess since I started shooting ARs with a COlt M16A2 in the service I just find the A2 stock the most natural fit for me

Can't find a rifle buffer tube online right now so I will have to wait.
Old 02-16-2013, 18:20   #20
kb18no1

I personally like the magpul str stock and different recoil pads can be added.

Here is a recoil stock with spring to adsorb recoil.

http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/gl-shock.htm
kb18no1 is offline   Reply With Quote