Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 15:38   #1
Denise1040

Bad ammo I think?

Finally got to shoot my new glock 19 gen4. Had bought a box of Speer lawman 147 gr ammo. They shot fine. No problems at all. Gun was accurate and smooth. Then I ran out of ammo, so I bought a box from the range. It was PMC bronze 115 gr. Now I have problems. First magazine I had ftf, fte and stove tops. Took that mag out and inserted another. Same problem. Third mag, more of the same. Bullet ended up jammed in my barrel. I am sure it has to be the ammo, since the lawman shot fine. Do you think it was just the brand or is all 115 gr gonna jam my gun?
Denise1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:01   #2
MJB

I've never used PMC in my G19 or G26 but other 115g performs flawlessly. Try some Blazer or Federal and you should have your answer.
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:21   #3
kda
NRA Life Member

Never an issue with PMC 115 grain in any of my Gen 3 26s or 19s. But I do have a couple of friends that did experience issues in their Gen 3 G19s when they were new out of the box. After shooting around 500 rounds of more expensive ammo, both of those G19s settled in and now shoot the more economical PMC 115 reliably. Maybe you'll have a similar experience. Good luck. Ammo is expensive enough and shooting premium ammo at today's prices can get old quickly (if you can even find it).

I saw a movie in which only the Government and the Police had Guns. The name of the movie was Schindler's List.
kda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:29   #4
ScumPunisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise1040 View Post
Finally got to shoot my new glock 19 gen4. Had bought a box of Speer lawman 147 gr ammo. They shot fine. No problems at all. Gun was accurate and smooth. Then I ran out of ammo, so I bought a box from the range. It was PMC bronze 115 gr. Now I have problems. First magazine I had ftf, fte and stove tops. Took that mag out and inserted another. Same problem. Third mag, more of the same. Bullet ended up jammed in my barrel. I am sure it has to be the ammo, since the lawman shot fine. Do you think it was just the brand or is all 115 gr gonna jam my gun?
I had good luck with PMC bronze in my gen4 26. It was the 1st 250 rds I put through it in October and it purred like a kitten all the way through. Up to about 1500 rds now of all brands and styles and not one failure of any kind ever...

Maybe the box you got from them were actually reloads of PMC brass packaged in a PMC box? Can't say for sure of course but I know of at least one range here in the greater Pittsburgh area that does this. They keep all your brass to reload/resell it. Even stuff you brought in from elsewhere...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
ScumPunisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:36   #5
Made in Austria

Hard to say over the internet. It might be the ammo or the gun. But it sounds like you gun is pretty picky. I have shot a lot of PMC through my pistols and rifles and never had a problem.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:41   #6
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Again, no absolute answer. I've used PMC in my Gen3 G26 and G19 without issue. You had problems. So it could just be newness or you're not holding your face just right. I'd try some more different stuff and then try the PMC again. There really is no reason for it to not be OK. Different folks -- different strokes, eh?

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:49   #7
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

It's been awhile since I've heard this about the G-19. When it used to pop up regularly on GT it was usually the pistol, and not the ammo. Does your feed ramp appear to be either dull gray, or rough? Might help to polish it.

Anyway, it's too soon to tell. Go to Wal-Mart (Yeah, right!) and buy some of their very high quality, 'el crappo', 115 grain, range ammo. See what your gun does with that. The other thing I'd suggest is that you check the angle of your magazines' follower. If it's less than 40 degrees (or doesn't have the correct, 'yaw') you'll need to have that adjusted.

(Best I can do for you on the internet!)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 02-27-2013 at 16:50..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 17:14   #8
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Were your stovepipes FIRED cases not being ejected, or UNFIRED rounds out of the mag that never made it into the chamber? These are different symptoms.
Old 02-27-2013, 20:07   #9
Denise1040

They were both. Unfired shells and fired cases. In fact that's what jammed my gun, a fired case.
Denise1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 20:13   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise1040 View Post

It is generally accepted that Glock designed the Gen 4 9mm guns for NATO ammo which is a fairly hot 124 gr load. Call 'em, they'll tell you...

A decent 147 gr obviously works.

Most of the people who have problems with Gen 4 9mm guns are trying to use 115 gr bullets because they're cheaper and, once upon a time, more available.

Stick with the highest velocity heaviest bullet you can get.

Richard
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17   #11
frogmorton11

I very BTF with PMC and none at all with NATO.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
frogmorton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05   #12
INEEDMILK

I've fired thousands of rounds of PMC through my Glocks (including a Gen4 19) and have had zero issues.

It might have been a bad batch, but it's more likely that it was shooter error or some other variable.

www.reddit.com/r/Glocks
INEEDMILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33   #13
jhc37013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumPunisher View Post
Maybe the box you got from them were actually reloads of PMC brass packaged in a PMC box? Can't say for sure of course but I know of at least one range here in the greater Pittsburgh area that does this. They keep all your brass to reload/resell it. Even stuff you brought in from elsewhere...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I've seen that happen as well, get yourself another box of 50 from somewhere else if you can find it before you stress about it to much.

Same thing happened to me with a new Glock at a range, I thought I was buying a factory box of 50 Federal Champion in a white box but every round barely ejected. About half way through the box I finally looked closer the brass was mixed with different manufactures and a couple was even nickel plated..oops from then on I inspect every round I put in my magazine even at the range if I buy the ammo from the place I generally practice at.
jhc37013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43   #14
frogmorton11

When I use PMC 115 gr in my G17, the brass is all over the place, including at my head. Not the end of the world. It's just range ammo, I wear a hat and glasses and deal with it. I will say that BTF aside, the PMC has been 100% reliable with no FTF or stove pipes. All my PMC was purchased new from Cabela's. When I use NATO, it all ejects in a nice pile several feet to the right.
frogmorton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:04   #15
rwrjr

I have several G19s and G26s and a G17. All of them shoot everything factory made on the market as well as canned heat reloads from Georgia Arms.

If it's factory ammo it's 98% probability that it's the shooter or the gun. Biggest issue with a shooter is if the thumb of your support hand rests or touches the side of the slide while it's cycling it can slow it down enough to cause issues. For right handed shooters this means your left thumb. Since the slide is smooth and moving fast you would hardly feel it if you had your thumb there but it can cause cycling issues. I'm not talking about crossing the support thumb behind the slide. That's a self correcting problem as you'll only do that once.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner

Last edited by rwrjr; 02-28-2013 at 08:05..
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45   #16
SCmasterblaster

It sounds like you were shooting underpowered cartridges. Is it possible that reloaded ammo was put into the PMC box? Underpowered range reloads would account for your FTEs.

BTW, do you have a firm, strong grip on your G19 when you shoot it?

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 02-28-2013 at 11:47..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote