Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28   #1
GlockBill1

New Reloader needs depth seating guidance

I am new to reloading so please bear with me on this one.
I have a new Dillon SDB for 9mm. I have read many times the OAL in the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition regarding the OAL of 147gr cartridges. I also own the Nosler Reloading Guide #7. My question is this: I have 500 147gr 9mm Berry's plated bullets. This bullet is not listed in either reloading guide. I purchased the Hodgdon's 2013 Annual Manual for reloading and there is an article written by Charles E. Petty that specifically uses the same bullet. He suggests an OAL of 1.17 for the 147gr bullet. I set up my SDB using an empty cartridge and set the seating at about 1.167 and dropped the cartridge into the barrel of my Glock 19 Gen 4. The cartridge fell into the barrel with no problem. It came out easily also. I assembled my Glock and put the round in the magazine and racked the cartridge through the cycle by hand. It seemed to hang up a little and after a few hand cycles the head seemed to be getting a few nicks on it. I reset the seating to about 1.156 - 1.159 and the cartridges seem to rack better. I will be using Universal Clays for powder as that is all I was able to find at this time locally. I do not want to seat the bullet too far into the cartridge as this may cause too much pressure. I also don't want to seat the bullet too far out of the cartridge either. What is a good seating range for this bullet and my Glock 19 Gen 4? I will use about 3.0 grains of Universal to start with and increase this as needed. I am not looking for high velocity but am looking for accuracy. I shoot IDPA with a local club. I am retired and cannot afford to buy a new pistol if I blow it up! Any help would be much appreciated.
GlockBill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13   #2
ColoCG

First Coal is always bullet and gun specific. You need to make a dummy round (no powder) make sure your bullet fits in your magazine and feeds smoothly in your gun. Then you can remove your barrel and drop the cartridge in the chamber to make sure it fits smoothly and completely without the bullet nose touching your rifling. when this is accomplished. Load up about ten rounds to try, shoot them to make sure they cycle fine and there is no pressure signs.

I load that same bullet at oal of 1.150". But this is in a different gun.The longest load that accomplishes the above criteria will give you less pressure.

Last edited by ColoCG; 02-12-2013 at 11:14..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23   #3
ColoCG

You also won't usually find plated bullets listed in reloading manuals. Plated bullet load between fmj bullets and lead loads. Find a load for a bullet of they same weight shape and similar material to use for loads. If it is a fmj use the starting load for it. If it is a lead or cast bullet you could use starting loads or slightly higher to begin with.

If these work fine you can increase them slowly .1 or.2 gr at a time depending on the spread between starting and max. loads.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25   #4
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBill1 View Post
It seemed to hang up a little and after a few hand cycles the head seemed to be getting a few nicks on it..
This is how your Glock tells you cartridge length is NOT yet correct.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38   #5
sellersm
disciplinare

Sending you a PM with a link to a great article about using your barrel to determine OAL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57   #6
GlockBill1

Thanks for all the info. I'll adjust the seating down a little more and see how the dummy round cycles. I just don't want to seat the bullets too low in the cartridge and have to much pressure.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34   #7
Colorado4Wheel

I would set it at 1.130 and work it up. It will work in most guns like that with out a issue.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38   #8
fredj338

As long as you work the loads up, the OAL is almost a non pressure issue. Load the longest that works in your gun, then check it in the mag, ALL THE WAY DOWN. It's not good enough to just cycle one off the top.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:23   #9
GlockBill1

More good info. I am going to follow all the advice. I really appreciate all the answers and the PM link. I'm learning all the time.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39   #10
GlockBill1

Well, I loaded up 10 rounds to see if they worked properly. They did so I loaded up 60 more to take to my IDPA practice. We'll see how they work out. The O.A.L. was around 1.154. They had no problem cycling at all. I'm very happy so far.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Well, I loaded up 10 rounds to see if they worked properly. They did so I loaded up 60 more to take to my IDPA practice. We'll see how they work out. The O.A.L. was around 1.154. They had no problem cycling at all. I'm very happy so far.
You will find Glocks to be pretty much standard. 1.130-1.150 what everyone runs... I run 1.150 for my 147 FMJ loads. I use 1.130 for 124s. Pick one work up a load from minimum that cycles well in you gun, chrono and adjust to meet your PF and accuracy requirements.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 16:25   #12
GlockBill1

Boxerglocker,

Thanks for the info. I am just starting to reload and appreciate any and all info provided. I'll see how the next 60 shoot and try to work out some loads and see what is the most accurate using the Universal Clay's that I have. I look forward to when supplies are available again. I am waiting for my Starline brass to be shipped.
Old 02-15-2013, 17:34   #13
unclebob

One little trick is to remove the barrel. Take a bullet you want to use and put it in the barrel then using two unsharpened pencils or wooden dowels. Push the bullet into the lands with one pencil then put the other one down the barrel until it touches the bullet, take a knife and mark the dowel at the end of the barrel. Push the bullet out, stand the barrel up on the hood drop the dowel in and mark the dowel again. Measure between the two marks and back off about 10 thousands. That is a good starting point. As long as it will also feed in the magazine also. Also do the other checks that have been already mentioned just to make sure it will work.
I ran into this problem when I tried a new bullet that the normal COL would not work. I had to load it if I remember right at 1.020. I also have the problem of making sure the same round will work in 8 different guns.
It also helps to use two people.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-15-2013, 22:30   #14
kd8x

I'm using AOL of 1.159 to 1.160 with my G19 and 147gr FMJ...works well with w231 at 3.6 gr.....
kd8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34   #15
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
You will find Glocks to be pretty much standard. 1.130-1.150 what everyone runs... I run 1.150 for my 147 FMJ loads. I use 1.130 for 124s. Pick one work up a load from minimum that cycles well in you gun, chrono and adjust to meet your PF and accuracy requirements.
As always, bullet specific. The XTP or sim bullet will load quite a bit shorter. So your bbl is always the determining factor. USe it as a loaded round gage & you'll always be right.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02   #16
GlockBill1

Thanks for the new info. I appreciate all the responses and will try these tips. I guess it's just kind of doing it and keeping track of what works and what doesn't and NOT exceeding max loads. Now if I could just get the powder and brass I need, I'll be in business!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Thanks for the new info. I appreciate all the responses and will try these tips. I guess it's just kind of doing it and keeping track of what works and what doesn't and NOT exceeding max loads. Now if I could just get the powder and brass I need, I'll be in business!
Yep, reloading demands good record keeping if you don't want to waste time when you are switching components. To speed up your die setup, make a dummy round for every bullet you use & keep it for setting up the seating depth.