GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 20:39   #161
rj1939

I have come to believe that a sociopath with a complete lack of gag reflex can achieve anything.

Lately I have shortened it to: Scum rises to the top.

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:40   #162
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

IQ tests are biased by whites.

Okay, let's see who takes the bait.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30   #163
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post

Crap! I assume you got your prepositions wrong in the above and meant in favor of rather than by. Great efforts have been made to make IQ tests that are unaffected by cultural background. They then produce the same results. Amerindians living in more deprived circumstances than American Blacks score above average for IQ. Blacks score about a standard deviation below average. This is approximately the reality. Nothing is gained and much is being lost by pretending that it is not so.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15   #164
muscogee

Quote:

They're designed Caucasians by to make Asians appear more intelligent than Caucasians.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:27   #165
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
Crap! I assume you got your prepositions wrong in the above and meant in favor of rather than by. Great efforts have been made to make IQ tests that are unaffected by cultural background.
That's not true and not possible. IQ test are based on the average (mean) responses across the culture. You never see any questions about Juneteenth nor questions about the differences between an 8 round upset and a 10 round regular because they're outside "mainstream culture". That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.

Many students grow up in homes where they never hear English spoken. Then they're sent to schools where they're supposed to learn complex concepts taught in a language in which they're not proficient. Children who grow up hearing nothing but Eubonics really struggle in typical suburban schools.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55   #166
Vic777

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.
True there is much wrong with IQ testing. There are also a lot of very average intellects graduating from Ivy League Colleges. There are a lot of degrees granted for studies in areas that are less than challenging. Law comes to mind. Any Engineer can get a Law degree, far fewer Lawyers can graduate as an Engineer.

Last edited by Vic777; 03-03-2013 at 12:57..
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:05   #167
aspartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
To what extent can social mores be enforced by law? To what extent should social mores be enforced by law?
The civil rights act(s) removed mores from the equation. Now everyone has to look to the government rather than simple community pressure.

ARS
Old 03-03-2013, 13:14   #168
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic777 View Post
True there is much wrong with IQ testing. There are also a lot of very average intellects graduating from Ivy League Colleges. There are a lot of degrees granted for studies in areas that are less than challenging. Law comes to mind. Any Engineer can get a Law degree, far fewer Lawyers can graduate as an Engineer.
Truth. That's because of government money. It creates degree fields like poli sci, English lit, criminal justice, women's studies to create a larger degree candidate field for the less intelligent.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-03-2013, 13:24   #169
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
Outstanding video.

Thanks.

(In Feb I attended two major pro-second rallies in Albany, NY. One of the striking things about the crowds- numbering in the thousands from all over the state & VT- were the very few blacks in attendance. There were a few and those were staunch pro-seconds-types, but those few in no way represented the % of population of blacks in NYS. Interesting.)
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:39   #170
IvanVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic777 View Post
"Average intellects" don't score a 170 on the LSAT, which is what would be required to get into an Ivy League law program, in addition to an undergrad from a reputable program with corresponding GPA.

IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:42   #171
IvanVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Truth. That's because of government money. It creates degree fields like poli sci, English lit, criminal justice, women's studies to create a larger degree candidate field for the less intelligent.

I would say some of those programs at run-of-the-mill universities leave graduates woefully unprepared and unqualified for a tough job market. Being interested in literature and studying it at a university doesn't make one less intelligent, just less useful in the real world.

IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:05   #172
ditto1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Okay. Examine the reason why you don't think you would like to be in that position. What is it about laying off workers to keep a company afloat that would bother you?
I have had money in my life, and have been in positions where I had a fair amount of power and authority, but have learned that those things do not buy happiness in life.
If those are the main rewards that come with being a CEO of a big company, I'm not interested. That would not be worth it to have to endure the stress involved with the responsibilities that a CEO has.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:08   #173
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
I would say some of those programs at run-of-the-mill universities leave graduates woefully unprepared and unqualified for a tough job market. Being interested in literature and studying it at a university doesn't make one less intelligent, just less useful in the real world.

No, but programs like those I mentioned create a receptacle for the less intelligent and an avenue for them to receive diplomas.

They wouldn't exist or would be much more rare if student loan candidates had to demonstrate the bankability of their degree fields.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 03-03-2013 at 14:10..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:26   #174
English

Quote:
That's not true and not possible. IQ test are based on the average (mean) responses across the culture. You never see any questions about Juneteenth nor questions about the differences between an 8 round upset and a 10 round regular because they're outside "mainstream culture". That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.

Many students grow up in homes where they never hear English spoken. Then they're sent to schools where they're supposed to learn complex concepts taught in a language in which they're not proficient. Children who grow up hearing nothing but Eubonics really struggle in typical suburban schools.
Some are and some aren't! It is possible to select question types where there is no cultural reference such as diagrams where changes in successive abstract diagrams follow unstated rules which allows the testee to predict the next in sequence. One of the main trusts of IQ test design over the last few decades has been culture and education neutral tests.

If you want to test for the use and comprehension of English than there will obviously be a major disadvantage to those brought up speaking Ebonics, but there are similar disadvantages to various regional white groups who speak a variety of dialects within the UK. Children who grow up pronouncing "th" as "ff" and with other non standard pronunciations are at an obvious disadvantage when it come to learning to read. Since the politically correct view is that all such variations are equally valid, these problems are maintained through their school years but that should have little impact on their IQ scores.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46   #175
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
I have had money in my life, and have been in positions where I had a fair amount of power and authority, but have learned that those things do not buy happiness in life.
If those are the main rewards that come with being a CEO of a big company, I'm not interested. That would not be worth it to have to endure the stress involved with the responsibilities that a CEO has.
We're not talking about happiness. We're talking about empathy.

So, would it bother you, or not bother you, to lay off 20000 workers, knowing it was going to destroy the lives of many of them, to make an extra $.20 share dividend return?

Last edited by series1811; 03-04-2013 at 10:47..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:04   #176
brickboy240

I don't know about the whole IQ test debacle or whether one race is actually smarter than the other.

However....I have noticed that on the whole, Anglos (and some other races) place more importance on academics and education and most of black America does not.

This does not necessarily mean whites are smarter than blacks...but one race tends to favor or hold in importance the concept of being educated/academics and the other (for the most part) does not.

BTW, it does NOT make me racist to say this so don't bother with the flames...ok?

-brickboy240
Old 03-04-2013, 16:02   #177
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
I don't know about the whole IQ test debacle or whether one race is actually smarter than the other.

However....I have noticed that on the whole, Anglos (and some other races) place more importance on academics and education and most of black America does not.

This does not necessarily mean whites are smarter than blacks...but one race tends to favor or hold in importance the concept of being educated/academics and the other (for the most part) does not.

BTW, it does NOT make me racist to say this so don't bother with the flames...ok?

-brickboy240
No explanations necessary-- tons of statistics will back that up.

Whenever I start thinking black---er, dark thoughts about the intelligence of black Americans I am thankful to have
folks like Charles Payne and Allen West to bolster my positive thinking.

Then, along comes that cold-cash idiot and Obama, Waters, and...
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:43   #178
brickboy240

Its not that blacks are less intelligent...it is that their culture in America places little to no importance on being smart, doing good in school or being well read. No to very little importance on academics or working towards a goal or planning for a future.

By way of comparison, most Indian and Asian immigrants to America place more importance on academics than do American born Anglos.

Again....it is a cultural thing...not a slam against them for actually being less smart. They simply choose not to apply themselves.

Blacks that study hard and get ahead and are intellectual are seen by black Americans as "sell-outs" or "uncle Toms" or told they are "acting white."

-brickboy240
Old 03-04-2013, 18:25   #179
Annoyinglylongname

Quote:

I cannot fathom why, in our uniquely American way, certain demographics decide to remain inside their own ethnic group and create a unique subculture and language.
But as far as I am concerned, inability to adapt or integrate into a culture is indicative of insufficient grasp of reality. Nothing I see on rap videos runs contrary to my observation.
Not entering into a society unless it conforms to your views used to be considered antisocial behavior. Now there aren't many rules about anything, and the ones we have make no sense.
Annoyinglylongname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:46   #180
Flying-Dutchman

Quote:

Maybe as IQ is not a measure of all types of achievement but it predicts how well one does what the Western world does; that is invent and build nuclear power plants, satellites, skyscrapers, semiconductors, etc.

We can have a never ending debate about IQ and nature versus nurture but are we willing to bet our civilization on the correct guess?

Because we cannot run the West with a population with an average IQ of 85 and throwing $ Trillions at the problem for 50 years has not worked.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote