GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 20:39   #161
rj1939
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of IL
Posts: 1,542
I have come to believe that a sociopath with a complete lack of gag reflex can achieve anything.

Lately I have shortened it to: Scum rises to the top.
__________________
NRA Endowment member. Bitter voter clinging to ....... and religion.

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:40   #162
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
IQ tests are biased by whites.




Okay, let's see who takes the bait.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30   #163
English
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
IQ tests are biased by whites.

Crap! I assume you got your prepositions wrong in the above and meant in favor of rather than by. Great efforts have been made to make IQ tests that are unaffected by cultural background. They then produce the same results. Amerindians living in more deprived circumstances than American Blacks score above average for IQ. Blacks score about a standard deviation below average. This is approximately the reality. Nothing is gained and much is being lost by pretending that it is not so.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15   #164
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
IQ tests are biased by whites.




Okay, let's see who takes the bait.
They're designed Caucasians by to make Asians appear more intelligent than Caucasians.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:27   #165
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
Crap! I assume you got your prepositions wrong in the above and meant in favor of rather than by. Great efforts have been made to make IQ tests that are unaffected by cultural background.
That's not true and not possible. IQ test are based on the average (mean) responses across the culture. You never see any questions about Juneteenth nor questions about the differences between an 8 round upset and a 10 round regular because they're outside "mainstream culture". That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.

Many students grow up in homes where they never hear English spoken. Then they're sent to schools where they're supposed to learn complex concepts taught in a language in which they're not proficient. Children who grow up hearing nothing but Eubonics really struggle in typical suburban schools.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55   #166
Vic777
Senior Member
 
Vic777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.
True there is much wrong with IQ testing. There are also a lot of very average intellects graduating from Ivy League Colleges. There are a lot of degrees granted for studies in areas that are less than challenging. Law comes to mind. Any Engineer can get a Law degree, far fewer Lawyers can graduate as an Engineer.
__________________
"It's Tom Dwan's World, we just live in it"

Last edited by Vic777; 03-03-2013 at 12:57..
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:05   #167
aspartz
Senior Member
 
aspartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sandstone, MN 55072
Posts: 5,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
To what extent can social mores be enforced by law? To what extent should social mores be enforced by law?
The civil rights act(s) removed mores from the equation. Now everyone has to look to the government rather than simple community pressure.

ARS
__________________
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." - Unknown
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force" - George Washington
aspartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:14   #168
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,965


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic777 View Post
True there is much wrong with IQ testing. There are also a lot of very average intellects graduating from Ivy League Colleges. There are a lot of degrees granted for studies in areas that are less than challenging. Law comes to mind. Any Engineer can get a Law degree, far fewer Lawyers can graduate as an Engineer.
Truth. That's because of government money. It creates degree fields like poli sci, English lit, criminal justice, women's studies to create a larger degree candidate field for the less intelligent.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Im for law and order, the way that it should be. This songs about the night they spent protecting you from me. - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:24   #169
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
Outstanding video.

Thanks.

(In Feb I attended two major pro-second rallies in Albany, NY. One of the striking things about the crowds- numbering in the thousands from all over the state & VT- were the very few blacks in attendance. There were a few and those were staunch pro-seconds-types, but those few in no way represented the % of population of blacks in NYS. Interesting.)
__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:39   #170
IvanVic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic777 View Post
True there is much wrong with IQ testing. There are also a lot of very average intellects graduating from Ivy League Colleges. There are a lot of degrees granted for studies in areas that are less than challenging. Law comes to mind. Any Engineer can get a Law degree, far fewer Lawyers can graduate as an Engineer.
"Average intellects" don't score a 170 on the LSAT, which is what would be required to get into an Ivy League law program, in addition to an undergrad from a reputable program with corresponding GPA.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:42   #171
IvanVic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Truth. That's because of government money. It creates degree fields like poli sci, English lit, criminal justice, women's studies to create a larger degree candidate field for the less intelligent.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I would say some of those programs at run-of-the-mill universities leave graduates woefully unprepared and unqualified for a tough job market. Being interested in literature and studying it at a university doesn't make one less intelligent, just less useful in the real world.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:05   #172
ditto1958
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Okay. Examine the reason why you don't think you would like to be in that position. What is it about laying off workers to keep a company afloat that would bother you?
I have had money in my life, and have been in positions where I had a fair amount of power and authority, but have learned that those things do not buy happiness in life.
If those are the main rewards that come with being a CEO of a big company, I'm not interested. That would not be worth it to have to endure the stress involved with the responsibilities that a CEO has.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:08   #173
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,965


Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
I would say some of those programs at run-of-the-mill universities leave graduates woefully unprepared and unqualified for a tough job market. Being interested in literature and studying it at a university doesn't make one less intelligent, just less useful in the real world.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
No, but programs like those I mentioned create a receptacle for the less intelligent and an avenue for them to receive diplomas.

They wouldn't exist or would be much more rare if student loan candidates had to demonstrate the bankability of their degree fields.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Im for law and order, the way that it should be. This songs about the night they spent protecting you from me. - Waylon Jennings

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 03-03-2013 at 14:10..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:26   #174
English
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
That's not true and not possible. IQ test are based on the average (mean) responses across the culture. You never see any questions about Juneteenth nor questions about the differences between an 8 round upset and a 10 round regular because they're outside "mainstream culture". That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.

Many students grow up in homes where they never hear English spoken. Then they're sent to schools where they're supposed to learn complex concepts taught in a language in which they're not proficient. Children who grow up hearing nothing but Eubonics really struggle in typical suburban schools.
Some are and some aren't! It is possible to select question types where there is no cultural reference such as diagrams where changes in successive abstract diagrams follow unstated rules which allows the testee to predict the next in sequence. One of the main trusts of IQ test design over the last few decades has been culture and education neutral tests.

If you want to test for the use and comprehension of English than there will obviously be a major disadvantage to those brought up speaking Ebonics, but there are similar disadvantages to various regional white groups who speak a variety of dialects within the UK. Children who grow up pronouncing "th" as "ff" and with other non standard pronunciations are at an obvious disadvantage when it come to learning to read. Since the politically correct view is that all such variations are equally valid, these problems are maintained through their school years but that should have little impact on their IQ scores.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46   #175
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
I have had money in my life, and have been in positions where I had a fair amount of power and authority, but have learned that those things do not buy happiness in life.
If those are the main rewards that come with being a CEO of a big company, I'm not interested. That would not be worth it to have to endure the stress involved with the responsibilities that a CEO has.
We're not talking about happiness. We're talking about empathy.

So, would it bother you, or not bother you, to lay off 20000 workers, knowing it was going to destroy the lives of many of them, to make an extra $.20 share dividend return?
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.

Last edited by series1811; 03-04-2013 at 10:47..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:04   #176
brickboy240
Senior Member
 
brickboy240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 3,481
I don't know about the whole IQ test debacle or whether one race is actually smarter than the other.

However....I have noticed that on the whole, Anglos (and some other races) place more importance on academics and education and most of black America does not.

This does not necessarily mean whites are smarter than blacks...but one race tends to favor or hold in importance the concept of being educated/academics and the other (for the most part) does not.

BTW, it does NOT make me racist to say this so don't bother with the flames...ok?

-brickboy240
__________________
Our founders would be shooting by now!
brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:02   #177
Skyhook
Senior Member
 
Skyhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,531
Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook


Quote:
Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
I don't know about the whole IQ test debacle or whether one race is actually smarter than the other.

However....I have noticed that on the whole, Anglos (and some other races) place more importance on academics and education and most of black America does not.

This does not necessarily mean whites are smarter than blacks...but one race tends to favor or hold in importance the concept of being educated/academics and the other (for the most part) does not.

BTW, it does NOT make me racist to say this so don't bother with the flames...ok?

-brickboy240
No explanations necessary-- tons of statistics will back that up.

Whenever I start thinking black---er, dark thoughts about the intelligence of black Americans I am thankful to have
folks like Charles Payne and Allen West to bolster my positive thinking.

Then, along comes that cold-cash idiot and Obama, Waters, and...
__________________
Life member: LEAA, NYSPRA, GOA, JPFO, Endowment Member NRA, NRA Legion of Honor
***********
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:43   #178
brickboy240
Senior Member
 
brickboy240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 3,481
Its not that blacks are less intelligent...it is that their culture in America places little to no importance on being smart, doing good in school or being well read. No to very little importance on academics or working towards a goal or planning for a future.

By way of comparison, most Indian and Asian immigrants to America place more importance on academics than do American born Anglos.

Again....it is a cultural thing...not a slam against them for actually being less smart. They simply choose not to apply themselves.

Blacks that study hard and get ahead and are intellectual are seen by black Americans as "sell-outs" or "uncle Toms" or told they are "acting white."

-brickboy240
__________________
Our founders would be shooting by now!
brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:25   #179
Annoyinglylongname
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
That's not true and not possible. IQ test are based on the average (mean) responses across the culture. You never see any questions about Juneteenth nor questions about the differences between an 8 round upset and a 10 round regular because they're outside "mainstream culture". That's why if you spend you life outside the mainstream culture you're at a great disadvantage when taking these tests.

Many students grow up in homes where they never hear English spoken. Then they're sent to schools where they're supposed to learn complex concepts taught in a language in which they're not proficient. Children who grow up hearing nothing but Eubonics really struggle in typical suburban schools.
I cannot fathom why, in our uniquely American way, certain demographics decide to remain inside their own ethnic group and create a unique subculture and language.
But as far as I am concerned, inability to adapt or integrate into a culture is indicative of insufficient grasp of reality. Nothing I see on rap videos runs contrary to my observation.
Not entering into a society unless it conforms to your views used to be considered antisocial behavior. Now there aren't many rules about anything, and the ones we have make no sense.
Annoyinglylongname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:46   #180
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
IQ tests are biased by whites.




Okay, let's see who takes the bait.
Maybe as IQ is not a measure of all types of achievement but it predicts how well one does what the Western world does; that is invent and build nuclear power plants, satellites, skyscrapers, semiconductors, etc.

We can have a never ending debate about IQ and nature versus nurture but are we willing to bet our civilization on the correct guess?

Because we cannot run the West with a population with an average IQ of 85 and throwing $ Trillions at the problem for 50 years has not worked.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 805
214 Members
591 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31