Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53   #41
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

In the early 90s, I want's a "duty" style pistol and I got a GLOCK 19. The reason I got a GLOCK 19, and not a GLOCK 17 is because I lived in NJ at the time and the mag cap was 15 rounds. GLOCK made a "Jersey Plugged" magazine at the time for the G17, but they were very hard to come by. NOTE: This was before the Federal AWB and therefore there were not 10 round magazines at the time.

Unfortunately, the G19 didn't fit me at all and it turned me off to GLOCKs for many years. Year later, when escaping from NJ and CCW was a reality, I bought a G27. At that time, there was nothing else in that class, 10 rounds of .40 in such a small package. I started appreciating GLOCKs again. I would eventually wind up with another GLOCK 19... only to sell it shortly thereafter, for the same reasons.

Note: I really like the full size guns. Had there not been the mag ban in place, I would have bought the G17 and things would have been much different.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03   #42
moonwilson

The first centerfire handgun I ever bought was a Glock 19. It was, and is a great gun. Pretty much perfect, actually. I have thousands of rounds through the thing and it has always been accurate and 100% reliable. Since then I have bought many, many more handguns. I have SIGs, Smiths, Berettas, Kimber and HK in addition to a few more Glocks. I keep coming back to Glock. They're not great "picnic guns", nobody will ever be impressed if you show off your Glock. But they are simple, elegant, durable and reliable. For a defensive tool, there's not much that can beat a Glock.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05   #43
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
When I was a Police officer I was issued my first Glock, I've been hooked ever since, the damn things just work...
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15   #44
rppnj

I attended a handgun training course and the gun provided for the course was a Glock 19. It was the most comfortable handgun I've ever shot and remains so to this day. After completing the course, I did some research on the 'indestructable' Glock pistols and I was sold. I have never regretted my decision.

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17   #45
dbcooper

I started looking for a 10mm. Glock was the best option.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42   #46
burttrans

I have always been a gun owner and strong 2nd amendment guy but never owned a Glock until about a year ago. The political climate made me decide to get a few more guns and I picked up a G19 Gen4 FDE loved the gun and when I got my conceal carry I also picked up a G26 Gen3 made in the USA gun to work into the carry rotation. Love them both!
burttrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46   #47
GlockamoJoe

I had a department that required Glock for duty

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GlockamoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46   #48
ditto1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Like a previous poster, I thought I was the world's worst handgun shooter. My S&W SD9 is a really nice gun, but like the Sigma, it has a terrible trigger. I could stand 10 feet away from something, take careful aim at it, shoot, and have no idea where my shot went. Certainly not at my target.

Last week when I took my new G23 out for the first time, I could not believe how much easier it was to shoot. I almost had to try to miss.
Okay, so I really like my Glock, but I didn't really answer the original question. What made me want one in the first place?

In no particular order:

Reputation-for reliability and durability
Law enforcement use-for over 20 years, almost every law enforcement officer I see has a Glock on his/her hip
Looks-seriously, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but they just look nice to me. Like a Mercedes, or BMW. Form follows function, but it still looks really good to me
YouTube- Hickok45, Armory Channel, Military Arms Channel...
In person impression- how they looked and felt when I picked them up in stores
Price- very fair price for the quality

Why "pull the trigger" on buying one when I did? To be honest, because when I saw mine in the store a couple of months ago, I realized it could be awhile before I would ever be able to get a NIB one any time soon. The stores around here in Feb. 2013 now have no Glocks available of any kind.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27   #49
samarai

Glock bandwagon

It was in the early 80's and a gun nut buddy of mine was talking up this new pistol called "Glock." At the time I was a young police officer as was my buddy, and we both had a strong interest in combat-type handguns.

It just so happened that my friend was very familiar with a firearms dealer that was one of the first major distributor's of glock handguns on the east coast, if not the entire country.

This particular dealer was mainly one that sold law enforcement products and firearms geared towards cops and special units such as tactical teams. Lo and behold, he just happened to have in stock a brand spanking' new shipment of glock 17's, of course these were the 1st generation models. I bought one without question and never looked back.

I was utterly amazed at the lightness of this particular handgun, how accurate it was and better yet the capacity it possessed which of course translated into firepower. It's simplicity was something that to me is still a feat of engineering that came from the mind of a true innovator, maybe even a genius although that's a pretty strong word to use.

At first people looked at this thing like it was some sort of piece of plastic junk, but little did anyone realize at the time the potential that this item had. It has now taken over the law enforcement market for some time even though S&W along with other gun companies have fielded their own "polymer" weapons.

I will admit that there are a lot of other great similar handguns out there, but at this point I own 8 glock and have no regrets whatsoever. It's probably still the easiest semi-auto to maintain and parts availability are second to none.

Let's just all hope that this so-called high capacity magazine law doesn't come into being. This would negate some of the benefits of this truly remarkable handgun...
samarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31   #50
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

Well.... I guess for me it was in 2006 and 2011. Having been both military & law enforcement, I've always been a M9/92 Berretta guy. Obviously the Beretta is the standard US military sidearm & it also happened to be the sidearm that was issued when I was a cop. I was always one of those guys who said "I'll never own a PLASTIC gun". Well, in 2006 I went to the range with my neighbor and fired one of his Glocks... needless to say... I was hooked! Loved it! However, I just held on to my old Ruger P85... and in 2011 bought a Taurus PT709 for concealed carry. The Ruger was built like a tank and deadly accurate, but too big & heavy... after only one trip to the range with the Taurus I hated it. In mid 2011, Bud's Gun Shop online had 2nd Gen G22 police trade-ins for + 3 mags for $369. I jumped on it and bought one. Instantly fell in love with it. About a year ago I wound up going to the LGS and traded the old Ruger & the POS Taurus PT709 for an NIB 3rd Gen G26 for my concealed carry. So here I am... a faithful Glock shooter with 2 in my inventory as well as a 40-9 conversion barrel for the G22 & a few other OEM & after-market accessories. I wish I would have taken the plunge years earlier.

Last edited by SGT278ACR; 02-20-2013 at 12:32..
SGT278ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:08   #51
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

For those of us that were early GLOCK adopters, did anyone else used to pull the slide off the frame and hand the frame to someone unfamiliar with the gun and see the look in their eyes at how light it was?
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:10   #52
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
For those of us that were early GLOCK adopters, did anyone else used to pull the slide off the frame and hand the frame to someone unfamiliar with the gun and see the look in their eyes at how light it was?
Haha... yep... I still do that to my 1911 buddies... I actually took it apart and tossed it to one once!

Last edited by BMiracletx; 02-20-2013 at 13:10..
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:15   #53
Raider Dana

With a Glock I know in my heart that when I pull the trigger, it WILL fire.
That comforts me.
Old 02-20-2013, 13:27   #54
Gravitas

lots of reasons. most notably hickok45's advocacy of them. and the fact that it can be really helpful to carry, shoot, and know the intricacies of one of the most widely available platforms.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:44   #55
Adamz04

Mine was the gen4 grip texture and reduced dimensions. I had always handled glocks at my lgs with intrigue but never bought one because my hands just didn't seem big enough for the grip, and they seemed to smooth like I could lose my grip if I had sweaty hands. Then the gen4's came out and when I picked one up it was all down hill from there. Now I have bought 4 of them.
Old 02-20-2013, 14:11   #56
AK47Man
Expert Marksman

2004..I had a S&W Sigma 9mm...Went to shoot with my step father..Shot his G19...it has never been the same since..!! Got rid of my Sigma and 4006 and now have 6 Glocks...And more to come..!!!
Ruger LCP Ruger Mark III 22/45
Ruger 10/22 Stainless Henry 22Mag Frontier Octagon
AK47Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 14:17   #57
sugarcreek
familyman

I read everything I could about current handguns in '97 from the experts and after a time, bought what I concluded was the best bet according to my needs and perceptions. I wanted a good all-around gun. Maybe the only pistol I would ever own. That was a used Glock 19. I own 7 Glocks now, am hooked, and am currently carrying a Gen 4 19 today...
Old 02-20-2013, 14:19   #58
Gloctoberfest

Holding a Glock 23 did it for me. Always liked Glocks but had never owned one until I got my hands on a gen 4 23 in FDE. Fits like a glove. Also a sharp looking pistol and man does this thing shoot straight! I can't find target ammo fast enough for this thing. Love it.
Gloctoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 14:36   #59
NailShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Dana View Post
With a Glock I know ..... that when I pull the trigger, it WILL fire.
That comforts me.

Pretty much what Raider Dana says. I traded a Colt semi auto for my first Glock in about yr 2000 because I wanted a gun that always would go bang, not jam, etc. I've been pretty happy with my Glocks since then.

Nail
Old 02-20-2013, 19:36   #60
blastfact

10mm
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote