GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:23   #81
LEOson

The old man has carried one on his hip for the last 20 years as an issued gun from his department. If its good enough for him, it's good enough for me! But in all honesty it was a multitude of factors. Dad got to buy his original g22 when they swapped to the gen 4 2years ago. Actually got to buy two. So we've run a little test. One of them we clean regularly, while the other one we haven't cleaned at all. Two years and 5000 or so rounds later, that un-cleaned gun has still yet to malfunction. The fact that I love the crisp trigger break and reset is just a bonus. I love to shoot other guns, but that insane amount of reliability is why I will only ever carry a Glock.

Last edited by LEOson; 02-21-2013 at 12:24..
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37   #82
jmohme

I just wanted something that could be ignored until needed without having to think to myself, "i hope this thing will work!"

I read severaly articles and watched quite a few videos about torture testing of the Glocks. That got my attentention and when I finally laid hands on one and got to really examine it, I was sold!

I have serveral handguns of different brands and types. Each has it's own purpose, but when it comes to defense, my Glocks are always at the ready!
jmohme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 14:30   #83
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

first handgun i ever fired bigger than a 22lr was a glock 23. i sucked with it, and i kept limp wristing. i was just a kid, but as i aged i always remembered my brother had a glock and i respected his opinion. so when i was old enough and started investigating personal gun ownership, i started looking for a good 9mm handgun that i could afford. turns out glock was amongst the best and most reliable handguns available, while also super cheap. i was considering s&w, sigs, h&ks, and even hi point, but i went with glock 19. best gun purchase i ever made. now got a 30sf for everyday carry. sold my 19 a while back to finance my m4 purchase, but looking to get another 9mm glock.
Old 02-21-2013, 15:36   #84
Slalom.45

I have only been aboard for a few month. I have been a 1911 guy for a long time, but didn't actually shoot that much. I had a mix of 1911's and revolvers around for home defense. I was considering another 1911 when I shot my brother in law's G26.

I kind of liked it and bought a police buy back G21. I liked, but more importantly my wife shot it and liked it way better than our .38 Smith, LCP, or 1911. We have recently moved into a rural area and she is home schooling our kids. I decided I wanted a platform that was simple and that she liked to shoot. That way if she picks up a gun strategicaly placed in the house she doesn't have to figure out revolver/SAA/striker fired, etc. One platform in different sizes.

We now have the 21 and a new 19 for her. I am shopping for a 30 as well but want to handle the 30s vs. G4 30 before deciding. Happy so far.
Slalom.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 15:37   #85
GThirtyTwo
Amor patriae

I carried one.

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
GThirtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 16:29   #86
thinkfast

1999, new to shooting. No shooting friends or family to look to for advice. I bought a used Sig P220 .45 in double action only. Not what I would suggest to a beginner knowing what I know now.

I stunk with it, and was having trouble qualifying. The pop of the .45, the light alloy frame, and the 12 lb trigger pull for EVERY shot didn't help.

I tried someone's Glock 19 and, instant 100% improvement. 9mm low recoil, low bore axis, no levers to fumble with, yes! I traded my P220 in and gave 200.00 towards a NIB Glock 17 and gave 20 bucks for a used 17 rounder.

I gained a TON of confidence and haven't looked back. Current carry is a .40 compact at work and a 27 on my own time. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Cool thing is, I can suggest it to beginners, and even as they improve, nobody I know has outgrown their Glock to where they shoot better than the intrinsic accuracy.
Old 02-21-2013, 16:31   #87
somebodybuymeaglock

I went looking for a gun awhile back. I held a g19, and fell in love!
Now I gotta figure out which one I want next. :D

-Mark Twain
somebodybuymeaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 16:36   #88
Cream Soda Kid

Originally I was a GLOCK hater, without ever having shot one let alone own one. My first couple of training classes were taught by a 1911 aficionado, Colt to be specific. He built his own custom guns on Colt platforms.

He always took time to insult plastic guns especially GLOCKS. I believed what he said without ever picking up a GLOCK.

I started to read more reviews and such on GLOCKS and everyone of them spoke highly of their reliability. I went to my local range and rented a G23 and shot 100 rounds through it. I didnít like the trigger, but people I spoke to said give it time and get used to the trigger.

I bought a G23 of my own and figured with that kind of reliability I can take the time to get used to the trigger.

I have a small collection of GLOCKS now, 6 in 4 different calibers. I like them all but my favorites are the G26 & G19. Those are the two I carry the most. Both loaded with Federal 9BPLE, 115 grain, +P+.

I also have a G 23 & G27 in .40 caliber, a G32 in .357 SIG and a G38 in .45 GAP. I used to have a G36 in .45 ACP but I gave that one to my son. He carries it just about every day.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:58   #89
Frank V

Our Dept. switched to the Glock in .40, we had a choice of the G22 or G23. I chose the G22 as I was in uniform mostly.
After about several months of seeing how well it shot, how quickly I could get back on target, how accurate it is, & how seldom it had a stoppage, Glock won me over & I became a fan. Now retired, I can pretty much carry what I want. The Glock is still the one that is in my holster most times.
Frank
Old 02-21-2013, 19:47   #90
Swipter

Reliability and the whole you could bury it in mud story, and it shoots everything.
Swipter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:03   #91
D.S.Brown

I was a Sig P220 .45 guy throughout the '90's. I HATED Glocks. One of my last Sigs was a P225 9mm. I kept wishing they'd chamber it in .40 S&W. My 2 letter campaign, and multiple phone calls to Sigarms requesting this went unheeded.

My childhood best friend who was a rifle guy shows up to the range with a G23. He put a human shape silhouette out to seven yards, and put 10 holes in the head, 9 of the bullets making one good size hole/group. He let me try it, and though I didn't care for what I perceived as a snappier recoil than my P220, the squared off trigger guard, and the caliber had me intrigued. I was bitten.

It would be a year and a half later and a move to Texas in the summer of 1999, that I sold off that P220, that I had since '91, and would "never get rid of," in order to fund my first of many G23's.

With the exception of converting to all Gen4 9mm's almost two years ago, I haven't looked back.

Best,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by D.S.Brown; 02-21-2013 at 20:04..
D.S.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:09   #92
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
Department policy. Have since learned to like. and do well with them.
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:47   #93
pat701

Price strickly price. They are cheaper then a Sig!!!
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:49   #94
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Many many years ago, in a "heated" shooting Scenario, I had a pistol with a combination de-cocker/safety. Two separate times during the training, I drew from the holster and nothing, the safety was on.

I went out and bought a Glock and haven't had any regrets. When I pull the trigger, it always goes bang, always.

If I do not want to shoot, I do not pull the trigger. I carry every waking moment.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:58   #95
Emmett4glock

Reliability, reputation, accuracy and an abundance of aftermarket supplies.
Emmett4glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:53   #96
clodhopper

Documented 50,000+ rounds torture test and still running strong.
That says a lot.
clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:09   #97
huntall50

I loved the single action pull of my 1911 and wanted a consistent trigger pull on a carry gun. So I traded a sig 229 for a Glock 22 and never regretted it oh yea, I got cash on my end also
huntall50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28   #98
kirbinster

Well I just got my first gun, its a Glock G22 gen4. The way I looked at it was that if so many police use them they must be good or cheap, or both. But if they were just cheap and not good the police would quickly move away from them, what cop would want to risk his life with an unreliable weapon. So far, I am very pleased with my choice.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02   #99
Bren
NRA Life Member

For me, it was around 1989-90. I was a police firearms instructor at my department and I though a plastic gun sounded stupid, but I read all the gun magazines back then and they were getting a huge reputation for durability and reliability. Then when a few guys bought them, we tried them on the range, fired them side by side with S&W, 1911's, Sig P226, Beretta 92F (what most of us carried) and some others and pretty soon everybody was buyign Glock. When I bought one and took it out to the range, another guy went with me and tested it against his P226...and traded me the P226 for a 1911 and went and bought a G17 for duty.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47   #100
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I was issued one. Still haven't found anything that's better, more than 20 years later.