SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:59   #1
Glock21sf-miami

Storing my reloaded and factory ammo

Fellow GTers,
Wanted to get your input. I live in Miami and there is a lot of humidity inside my house. In order to protect my ammo, I am storing it in ziplock bags and I put one silica gel packet inside each bag. However, the packets change color relatively quickly and I worry that keeping it in bags may trap moisture in instead of out. What do you do and do you have any suggestions?
I already lost some shotgun ammo due to it being corroded and I bought it 6 months ago!!
I was replacing the silica packets inside the bags today in the sun and when the bags heated up there was a couple of them where I saw moisture inside...
Look forward to your comments....
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06   #2
Revvv

I wonder how rice would work I'm removing any condensation from the ammo bag?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07   #3
waawaaweenie

ammo cans are made for a reason

and buy good silica gel packs that can be recharged in an oven
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 15:29   #4
Kentguy

I would do as waawaaweenie suggested... ammo cans. Even the least expensive type will have a rubber gasket to seal in ammo and seal out moisture. Then toss a couple of moisture packs in there and that "should" take care of any Immediate problem.

A dehumidifier in an cool(er) area of the house would do wonders as well.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2013, 15:40   #5
kirbinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waawaaweenie View Post
ammo cans are made for a reason

and buy good silica gel packs that can be recharged in an oven

Where do you get such packs, what do they cost and how do you recharge - just heat?
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:06   #6
Kentguy

Old 02-24-2013, 19:10   #7
John B

Ammo cans ( ebay). Good idea. I use to shoot and reload a lot when I was young. Got married, raised three boys, then started shooting again. I had several thousand rounds stored for over twenty years, it was all still good. My boys helped me spend it all last summer.

Last edited by John B; 02-24-2013 at 19:13.. Reason: additional information.
John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:39   #8
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock21sf-miami View Post
Fellow GTers,
Wanted to get your input. I live in Miami and there is a lot of humidity inside my house. In order to protect my ammo, I am storing it in ziplock bags and I put one silica gel packet inside each bag....
Dang, I live 30' from the water on Florida's west coast but air-condition my house so have no such problem. You should A/C one room at least to sleep in and store ammo.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:33   #9
PCJim

G21, you don't have an air conditioned room/closet in your home and you live in Miami? There aren't many homes/apartments in the area without a/c. Granted, we don't run the a/c much during the winter months, but the humidity is down now too(relatively speaking).

I'd venture to say that even in Colorado, if you take a sealed plastic baggie and place it in the sun, you will see "some" condensation inside. Maybe I should ask my son to try this, or Zombie or Squeeker.

I wouldn't worry much about it. Heck, we reload in our non-a/c garages during the summer and the ambient humidity that remains in the finished rounds along with the powder and primer doesn't seem to negatively effect their function.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:47   #10
Glock21sf-miami

Sardg, PC,

Of course my house has A/C.... There is no other way to live in Miami.... I just saw my silica packets turning colors very fast and I took the bags out precisely to heat them up and evaporate any humidity in them. I don't know, maybe doing that outside just let more moisture in...
Glock21sf-miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 22:05   #11
PCJim

I bought one of those 3" diameter 2" tall desiccant canisters for something like $20 when I bought my safe. They are rechargeable in the oven. Interestingly that in a closed safe that is sitting in an a/c'ed room, the media will turn to the "used" color within 4 days.

I haven't seen any rust on any of the old blued firearms in the safe, so the humidity must be acceptable. The weather station indicates the household humidity is fairly low, so I'm not sweating it (no pun intended). Ammo stored in mil cans are in the a/c'ed area also, as is all the primers/powder. Bullets can stay out in the garage.

I wouldn't go crazy with trying to eliminate the humidity. You'll most likely shoot the stuff before it even begins to think about going bad due to the environment.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 21:03   #12
Glock21sf-miami

Well, I'll shoot some of it but I have in there a stash of HSTs, Double tap and critical defense ammo that I have been building up for a while. It's not much but it is my SHTF, protect-my-family reserve.
Old 02-28-2013, 20:16   #13
chrisbroz

I live in Port St Lucie and previously in Ft Lauderdale & W Palm Beach...I keep most of my ammo in my garage with no desiccant, in Zippies and in GI Ammo Cans w/NO moisture problems. recently I checked the status of a buncha 9mm rounds I reloaded in 1995 - about 2000 of 'em, packed 100 to a qt. sized zippie and kept in a .50 cal ammo can - the rounds look like they were just reloaded the other day - NONE of my ammo shows any sign of corrosion...of course it's NEVER been wet - I'm not in a flood zone so I don't keep the cans elevated off the concrete floor - I take no special precautions against high water, but would prolly put the cans on my benches if flooding DID threaten....my Dillon RL500 is kept in the garage also - I never empty the powder hopper, but put the small paks of desiccant I get in my VA meds into the hopper to to be on the safe side - I don't know what to say...except if you live near the ocean, the salt in the air can cause corrosion over time...I'm about ten miles inland - at least - if possible I'd recommend to bring the ammo into an air-conditioned part of the house - if possible.

CB in FL
chrisbroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 21:46   #14
Glock21sf-miami

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:31   #15
sourdough44

Another thing. Yes, load up a supply, but for the long term I'd rather have components than a whole lot of reloaded ammo. Over time desired loads may change, easier to have primers, powder & cases ready. Of course, some of each should be the norm.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56   #16
Steve in PA

I use ammo cans, both the normal GI-type and the larger dry lock boxes from Cabela's for the storage of my bulk ammo.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14   #17
BHP9

Or you could use a cabinet like mine and install a Golden Rod or similar.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Some shelves.

Reloading

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.co...ifications.htm

Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

IDPA SOI & IPSC RO.
BHP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50   #18
morbidking

Send a message via Yahoo to morbidking
you will be surprised how water proof your ammo is

I have dropped bullets in winter(bad winters where I live) in the snow couldn't find them for months go out in summer find them all would shoot fine

found one of my 300 Remington ultra mags that I must have drooped when hunting have to of been about 2 years ago me and my wife went quad ridding on my old hunting trail and she found it took it home it shot fine

Reloading
morbidking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35   #19
SARDG

I'm in the middle of moving from a house in FL that was 30' from a saltwater canal to a house in FL that's 30' from a saltwater canal. Both are in flood zones, but when I saw this house with an A/C'd workshop and wall-to-wall shelves AND enough garage room for my F-350... that was it! Pretty soon I'll have a set-up like Hoser's... well, maybe not.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16   #20
ejkoechling

humidifiers don't work like that. All they do is raise the temp a couple degrees from out side air. They DO NOT take humidity out of the air. Read the description for one at midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113...ifier-rod-110v
I set up a gauge and installed L.E.D. lights. They don't get hot ,but put off a little heat and work as a humidifier in the same sense as the "golden rod" above. The cost of leaving L.E.D 's on is next to nothing. i have a 20' strand wrapped in my safe. It works well, and keeps my safe lit up when I'm in it. According to my gauge it works well.... For ME anyway
ejkoechling is offline   Reply With Quote