GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2013, 16:00   #41
boomchakabowwow

My brother ordered a Ruger 44 Alaskan. Still waiting. Been months. We are planning an Alaskan bow hunting trip. I would be more comfy with a marine grade shotgun. I would love a 3" 357 mag. 686P. Seven shot revolver.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 18:54   #42
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
Excellent information everyone, I'll print out your "guide" and take it with me CanyonMan.

Hope it will be some help to ya amigo !

Good luck...

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 22:50   #43
railfancwb

FWIW, the 10mm ballistically is virtually identical to the .41mag revolver cartridge.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17   #44
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
FWIW, the 10mm ballistically is virtually identical to the .41mag revolver cartridge.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

NO way !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 03-01-2013, 18:46   #45
Mountain10mm

Ah the 10mm to 41 magnum debate. As much as I like the 10mm, it's not a 41 mag. I will grant the fact that a hot 10mm is very similar to a weak 41 magnum, but that's about it. A hot 41 magnum handily exceeds just about anything any hot 10mm can muster.
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:02   #46
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm View Post
Ah the 10mm to 41 magnum debate. As much as I like the 10mm, it's not a 41 mag. I will grant the fact that a hot 10mm is very similar to a weak 41 magnum, but that's about it. A hot 41 magnum handily exceeds just about anything any hot 10mm can muster.
Exactly .

The closest comparison, in factory ammo has been the Winchester Silvertip load for both. In the 10mm it is loaded to about the top of the major factories load. The .41 mag silvertip is CONSIDERBLY DOWNLOADED as a "low recoil self defense" load.

When you step it up the 10mm, as great a round as it is, can't carry the .41s socks.

I personally LIKE the the level that I have to handload to get to with the 10mm. 200gn 1,100-1,200 fps. I also load the .41with a 210-220 gn bullet down to that level for a GP load.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:30   #47
AsSeenOnTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously? View Post
I'll second those who suggested the full-size 10mm, the Glock 20.

Why carry anything but the best?
best? lol

Listen to CanyonMan about the 44 advice. He knows full well what he is talking about on this issue.

if the 44 magnum is a beast, tame it by shooting 44 specials, wearing ear protection, and good gloves with a nice Hogue rubber grip. Once you are comfortable with the 44 special loads, then shoot off some 44 magnum loads. In a bear attack or moose attack, you wont feel the kick, and you will be lucky of you get off more than one shot before either is on you.

also, a 45 long colt is a good choice. You can get hotter rounds for it like Buffalo Bore, etc, and they can work on a small black bear. A 41 magnum is about the smallest I would go with. Get a 4 inch barrel if you want to be able to draw it out of your holster faster.

And unless you plan on practicing heavily with the gun, get a double action over a single action. When something with teeth is chewing on you, you won't be thinking about working the single action. But you will be trying to squeeze that trigger!

And I suggest you use hard cast lead loads, no hollow points. And the largest meplate you can get for that caliber. That is one thing a 10mm auto wont do.

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 03-01-2013 at 20:34..
AsSeenOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:19   #48
Emmett4glock

Richard,
Best of Luck on your search for a firearm in bear and moose country. I know I would carry one under your circumstances. In the meantime, take a look at this: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/08/235963...policy-in.html
Emmett4glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49   #49
Bluebearbevis

Interesting read Emmett,

And I agree 100% on the preparedness, but where is the comparison of attacks with gun vs. attacks with no gun? At the beginning the article says, "...analyzed 269 incidents of close-quarter bear-human conflict in Alaska between 1883 and 2009 in which a firearm was involved." How many non carriers simply got eaten up and aren't in the statistics at all? How many dead human remains were found in the wilderness w/ gun also recovered vs. w/o gun also recovered? Think I'll stay on target!

Richard
Bluebearbevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:51   #50
AsSeenOnTV

Quote:
.........There's the kicker, the 10 mm appears good enough for Michigan and Colorado, but not for Montana or Alaska. ................
Just to throw a wrench in the gears, I watched my uncle put a 220 grain soft point fired from a 300 Winchester magnum about 100 feet away looking down at a 'small' male black bear in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. Tore right through the upper front shoulder and down into the lung, heart region. The bear should have dropped instantly. Instead the black bear proceeded to claw and gnash at everything in its vicinity. Biting dead fall trees and breaking think branches in half. And constantly biting at its shoulder like a swarm of wasps were on him. All the while bellowing out a sound I don't ever want to hear again. When it was over, my father looked at me and said thats why he wont go hunting 'any' kind of bear with anything less than his 375. While you hear stories about how a certain gun dropped him in its tracks. THERE IS NO HANDGUN GOOD ENOUGH EVERY TIME.
AsSeenOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18   #51
Emmett4glock

Quote:
Interesting read Emmett,

And I agree 100% on the preparedness, but where is the comparison of attacks with gun vs. attacks with no gun? At the beginning the article says, "...analyzed 269 incidents of close-quarter bear-human conflict in Alaska between 1883 and 2009 in which a firearm was involved." How many non carriers simply got eaten up and aren't in the statistics at all? How many dead human remains were found in the wilderness w/ gun also recovered vs. w/o gun also recovered? Think I'll stay on target!
Richard
I found the following bolded remarks interesting:
While Smith said his data set was not perfect, it did tease out some surprising findings. For instance, handguns slightly outperformed long guns, resulting in a positive outcome -- meaning the gun stopped the bear's aggression -- 84 percent of the time versus 76 percent.

"That's surprising because some believe that handguns have no place in bear safety," Smith said. "But they are much more maneuverable and carried more accessibly. A majority of bears go to extreme lengths to avoid people. When an encounter occurs, it is in close quarters and poor visibility. They are on their back shooting the bear in the mouth."

Based on these two statements, there may be a slight advantage to carrying a handgun, but only in terms of maneuverability.
Emmett4glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:18   #52
countrygun

If I see one more dingbat with the "Most Bears, or Cougars, or whatever" line I am going to B-slap them.

I am not concerned with "most" (unless I am actively hunting them) after all "Most people" don't go to a mall to shoot the place up, most people crossing the street don't take detour to perform an armed carjacking. Most people don't have meth-fueled road-rage incidents. I ain't concerned about "Most" of anything. I am concerned about the one in the minority that wants to shoot, stab, bludgeon or eat me.

When it comes to wildlife at close range, when they are dangerous, I like penetration and bone smashing. Given the angle they attack at and the target presented at that moment someone's results from a successful ambush of the animal at fifty yards with a perfect broadside shot with a scoped rifle from a blind, do not mean squat to me.

OK there is my daily allowance of grouchy, I'm Muuuuuch better now.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:37   #53
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
If I see one more dingbat with the "Most Bears, or Cougars, or whatever" line I am going to B-slap them.

I am not concerned with "most" (unless I am actively hunting them) after all "Most people" don't go to a mall to shoot the place up, most people crossing the street don't take detour to perform an armed carjacking. Most people don't have meth-fueled road-rage incidents. I ain't concerned about "Most" of anything. I am concerned about the one in the minority that wants to shoot, stab, bludgeon or eat me.

When it comes to wildlife at close range, when they are dangerous, I like penetration and bone smashing. Given the angle they attack at and the target presented at that moment someone's results from a successful ambush of the animal at fifty yards with a perfect broadside shot with a scoped rifle from a blind, do not mean squat to me.

OK there is my daily allowance of grouchy, I'm Muuuuuch better now.

CM

Old 03-03-2013, 19:42   #54
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
NO way !

CM
Hey stop using my screenz name.

I swear that when I hear person mentioning a 10mm is the same as 41magnum. I begin to wonder if they ever even see a 4mag or shot a 41mag.

Last edited by noway; 03-03-2013 at 19:43..
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25   #55
Bluebearbevis

Exactly countrygun and CanyonMan,

I'm not going to be hunting bears. In fact, I'd prefer to avoid them all together, unless they're up on a ridge somewhere and I can shoot them from a distance with my digital camera. However, in the unlikely event that I'm in the situation where "They are on their back shooting the bear in the mouth." Then I think I'll stick with the .44.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43   #56
purrrfect 10

exactly the reason I bought a Glock 20 10mm IMO it can't be beaten GREAT pistol for most hiking situation We only have black bear here. I love the power & range of my G20
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45   #57
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan
NO way
Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Hey stop using my screenz name.

I swear that when I hear person mentioning a 10mm is the same as 41magnum. I begin to wonder if they ever even see a 44mag or shot a 41mag.

Hey amigo. You just need to change your name to: some way, this way, that way, or as my kids say, yes way !

Yep my friend I agree with ya. The 41 mag trumps the 10mm hands down in 'versitility alone'. When they ever do have a bear on top of them, (which more than likely will never happen) the 10mm will not give them a warm and fuzzy feeling ! haha. In fact, the only thing that will give a guy a warm and fuzzy feeling in that senerio, is the hair and fat and breath on the bear !

But, I would rather (as hand guns go) have my 44's/45LC's, or 454, etc, than a semi auto anything !

Hey man write me sometime or give me a call. We have'nt had a good chew the fat session in a while...

Stay safe out there amigo !

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 03-04-2013 at 10:47..
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59   #58
sourdough44

When was the last time someone in CO had to fend off a charging moose, or even a bear? You'd have a much higher liklihood of dealing with a threat from a 2 legged 'predator'.

I'd look to a lighter, easier to carry 40 s&w handgun. If it's not your day & the angry bear does choose to show up, it's better than nothing.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35   #59
Bluebearbevis

Thanks for the input sourdough44,

The vote appears tied between a 10mm and .44 mag., even from the first reply by Chutethemall.

Most of my remote camping and currently all of my living is done here in Colorado and the 10mm appears adequate for situations I am unlikely to encounter.

However, because I will be returning to Glacier Nat'l Park this August (highest grizzly pop. lower 48), because I can only afford one pre-trip gun, and other things considered, I think my first handgun will be a .44 mag. revolver. Armed with my "Idiots Guide to Used Revolver Purchase" provided previously by CM and other information on "wear and tear to be wary of" gleaned from the internet, I am headed to local Pawn Shops and the Tanner Gun Show.

Richard
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20   #60
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Thanks for the input sourdough44,

The vote appears tied between a 10mm and .44 mag., even from the first reply by Chutethemall.

Most of my remote camping and currently all of my living is done here in Colorado and the 10mm appears adequate for situations I am unlikely to encounter.

However, because I will be returning to Glacier Nat'l Park this August (highest grizzly pop. lower 48), because I can only afford one pre-trip gun, and other things considered, I think my first handgun will be a .44 mag. revolver. Armed with my "Idiots Guide to Used Revolver Purchase" provided previously by CM and other information on "wear and tear to be wary of" gleaned from the internet, I am headed to local Pawn Shops and the Tanner Gun Show.

Richard
Well, you won't regret it.

You can only load 10mm up so far... but it's easy to load .44 mag down.

I wouldn't dismiss a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. With the strength of the frame, you can load 200 grain cowboy loads going 750 fps to 300 grain bullets doing over 1,000 fps. A personal favorite is a 250 grain XTP going 1,200 (and that's leaving some room in the reloading data). Just don't try those loads in a Colt Single Action Army or a clone.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote