Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2012, 17:21   #1
Scott-5744

Sionics AR-15

What do y'all think about Sionics AR-15? Good? Bad? Neutral? I know they have been around since the 60's. Are they a reputable company? Do they build a quality product?

The specific rifle I'm looking at is the "Perimeter Marksman." MSRP $1499

I plan on using the rifle for just about everything. Range, home defense, hunting...

Thank you for your input.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Scott-5744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:29   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Sionics built suppressors back in the day. They didn't build AR's that I'm aware of, and I didn't know they're still in business (or if someone bought up the name). They're best known for making the suppressor for the Mac-10.

You'd be better off spending $400 less and buying a Colt 6920 or 6940, or a Daniel Defense or Bravo Company outfitted the way you like, other alternatives in that price range being Noveske, LaRue and a few other brands.

After looking up that particular piece, it doesn't appear this is the original company far as I can tell, and the Perimeter Marksman doesn't appear to be anything special. A LaRue Stealth (or PredatAR) would do more, better, for a little bit more money.

That said, a BCM 16" upper with a 11 or 12" Troy rail and a Geissele SSA trigger would do the same job as the Sionics, and probably cost less, for better quality (known performance) parts.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:55   #3
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Agree with above. Pass.
Old 07-14-2012, 18:00   #4
Gunnut 45/454

They may have been around since the 60's but this is the first I've ever heard of them!!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48   #5
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The 'classic' Ingram submachine gun (MAC-10 and MAC-11, for Military Armarments Corp) Mr. Ingram designed once he moved away from Thompson-type designs were intended to be used with suppressors, and the one you usually see in any pics from the time period (late 60s through 80s) usually show a Mac with a foot or foot and a half long big suppressor with a thermal sleeve around it. That's an original Sionics can.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53   #6
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

One of the gun magazines that I read did an article about a Sionic AR. They went on and on about how it was the best thing on Earth. This was also the same magazine that said the same thing about DPMS. So take that for what it's worth.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16   #7
LawScholar

$1,499 is a hard sell for an unknown when that kind of money will buy mil-spec, proven ARs by Colt and Daniel Defense with money left over.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:10   #8
surf

A couple thoughts. First off I will say that I know a guy affiliated with the company and who teaches their armorers course. He is vastly knowledgeable on this platform and has been performing gunsmithing / armoring work for many years, several of those in the middle east. He became a fan of the weapon before doing work for the company so that says a good deal to me.

Having said that I have not fired a Sionics rifle. Upon a close look at their materials used and testing are of top quality. The build procedure, ie matching uppers and lowers for correct fitment, shows that they do look into detail when assembling a rifle and that there is more care put into how the weapon goes together and not just assembly lining them out the door where they are put together by a bunch of monkeys.

As for the Perimeter Marksman rifle, 18" SS barrel, 15" Evo rail, Geissele SSA and you looking at around $700+ right there. I am not saying that I would run out and purchase this rifle because I only build my own rifles, but I would think that this rifle is priced pretty competitively.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 21:30   #9
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
After looking up that particular piece, it doesn't appear this is the original company far as I can tell,
I concur.
There are 2 ways to look at this.
Larue and Noveske were new companies once and people had to take a chance on them.
At the $1500 price point you have a lot of options. Buy a Colt and have a few hundred left over to put toward mags and ammo. Buy from an already proven semi-custom company like Larue or Noveske.
Old 07-15-2012, 22:01   #10
Trey83

I was searching some bolt action videos when I stumbled across this Gunblast video review of the Sionics SAR review. I have never heard of them but that is a great group at the end of the review.

Old 07-18-2012, 20:32   #11
humanguerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey83 View Post
I was searching some bolt action videos when I stumbled across this Gunblast video review of the Sionics SAR review.
Can't help but like and smile at Jeff Quinn. Completely reminds me of several people at the range I shoot at. Might have thumbed the safety off just for the review.

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 07-18-2012 at 20:34..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 16:00   #12
123xyz

Current MSRPs (3/9/2013)
Perimeter Marksman ~$1700
Noveske Varmint ~$2500
Larue PredatAR ~$1700
LaRue Tactical OBR ~$2200
123xyz is offline   Reply With Quote