Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2013, 22:54   #1
rygleason

Neck knives?

What do you all carry for daily neck knives?

I have an ESEE candiru with custom kydex sheath from 710customsheaths. Was thinking about picking up a brous silent soldier as well.....
Old 02-28-2013, 23:22   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

The Cutting Edge

Benchmade and beer!
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43   #3
Unistat

CRKT Folts Minimalist Tanto. It's on a simple ball chain covered with the outer mantle from some paracord.

I don't have a picture of my own, but here is one from Optics Planet.
The Cutting Edge

Last edited by Unistat; 03-01-2013 at 09:46..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13   #4
glock_collector

Never carried like this...dumb question, 100% serious. If you have a rope/cord around your neck with a sheath hanging from it, dont ya worry about in a tussle someone getting ahold of the cord and using it as leverage/ easy choke hold? In a street fight I use whatever is handy...
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03   #5
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_collector View Post
Never carried like this...dumb question, 100% serious. If you have a rope/cord around your neck with a sheath hanging from it, dont ya worry about in a tussle someone getting ahold of the cord and using it as leverage/ easy choke hold? In a street fight I use whatever is handy...
I do.

That's why I use the crappy ball chain instead of actual paracord or other, better material. The ball chain easily breaks free, I've tested it.

Last edited by Unistat; 03-01-2013 at 11:04..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09   #6
SGT HATRED

I have a minimalist wharencliffe, but it's not part of my edc small light inexpensive and it comes with a holster

The Cutting Edge
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25   #7
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I love the minimalist and SPEW designs, but I couldn't keep the cheap steel sharp for more than a few cuts. Would love to get one of the original customs in a good steel though.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:19   #8
CharlestonG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
I do.

That's why I use the crappy ball chain instead of actual paracord or other, better material. The ball chain easily breaks free, I've tested it.
Take a piece of paracord the length of your chain and remove the inner core. Then thread the beaded chain into the parachord sheath. A stich at both ends keeps the cord from contracting and exposing the chain. The end result is a comfortable neck-knife carrier having the same safety feature of a bare beaded chain.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:24   #9
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonG26 View Post
Take a piece of paracord the length of your chain and remove the inner core. Then thread the beaded chain into the parachord sheath. A stich at both ends keeps the cord from contracting and exposing the chain. The end result is a comfortable neck-knife carrier having the same safety feature of a bare beaded chain.
That is exactly what I did, but you explained it better than I did in my first post, I just melted the ends a little with a lighter, btw. Much quicker.
Old 03-01-2013, 15:26   #10
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I love the minimalist and SPEW designs, but I couldn't keep the cheap steel sharp for more than a few cuts. Would love to get one of the original customs in a good steel though.
Well, since this a purely last ditch SD "get away from me" knife, I'm not to worried about it staying sharp for more than a few cuts.

For daily EDC I have a CRKT Zilla-Tool and a BM 710 (D2 steel on that one!)
Old 03-01-2013, 18:38   #11
seed

I was told that wearing a neck knife under your shirt (concealed) was illegal. Is that true in any or all states?...Kalifornia, for instance?
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 19:28   #12
CanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seed View Post
I was told that wearing a neck knife under your shirt (concealed) was illegal. Is that true in any or all states?...Kalifornia, for instance?
It is in my state... carrying a fixed blade is a no no regardless of how the knife is carried.

I like to collect knives, some I can't carry.
S&W Club #43

Last edited by CanMan; 11-04-2014 at 19:16..
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15   #13
Mr. Blandings

Quote:
The answer depends on the laws/ordinances of the specific jurisdiction where you may be standing at any given moment. Each state has different laws on the subject of carrying/concealing knives. In some states, local counties or municipalities may have their own ordinances in addition to the state law. Federal law covers carrying in certain specified location such as federal workplaces and airports.

Your question indicates you may lack a basic understanding of the entire issue of carrying a knife and the many legal issues that can spring up from doing so, but you are asking so that is a good start. Following are several websites that contain a wealth of information regarding knife laws:

Bernard Levine's Guide to knife laws.

A chart format guide to the knife laws of the states , includes some case law citations. Originally published on The Highroad forums.

Ebladestore.com's knife law summary. Has an informative essay at the beginning. Appears to use Levine's summaries.

handgunlaw.us knife law summaries (displays in .pdf format). Includes some individual municipality citations.

Kniferights.org: the NRA of the knife-world. This organization has already saved our blade carrying bacon, and continues to make very positive change happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Andy Stanford,

Last edited by Mr. Blandings; 03-03-2013 at 08:16..
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24   #14
jdavionic
NRA Member

Neck knives?

I have the ESEE Izula. I modified the case because I thought it was too bulky. I also added the para cord handle and on the case. I don't carry it on my person often (usually in a backpack that I do take my work stuff in). However I do carry it when I go hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.The Cutting Edge

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."

Last edited by jdavionic; 03-03-2013 at 08:28..
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36   #15
BenjiEDF

I got really lucky and found a used Spyderco SPOT at a gun show. I consider it to be the perfect neck knife!

The Cutting Edge

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51   #16
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Thank you folks.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Not true in Kentucky, with a CCW or if it's a "hunting knife" under your shirt.

But...people have "daily carry" neck knives? Do any of you work for the CIA or maybe the OSS?
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23   #18
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I just don't find neck knives a convenient way to carry a knife but I do appreciated the weight and size of some of the small fixed blades. The Izula is great example.

I want the ability to quickly deploy AND re-deploy a knife with one hand. That just doesn't happen when carried around the neck.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:20   #19
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Not true in Kentucky, with a CCW or if it's a "hunting knife" under your shirt.

But...people have "daily carry" neck knives? Do any of you work for the CIA or maybe the OSS?
When I was younger I was given the following advice by a friend's father who was a detective for many years with lots of undercover experience:

"Always carry three knives. One to use for regular cutting stuff open like boxes, one for fighting, and one that nobody knows about. A secret knife can save your life."

Anyway, that always stuck with me.
Old 03-04-2013, 22:02   #20
rygleason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
When I was younger I was given the following advice by a friend's father who was a detective for many years with lots of undercover experience:

"Always carry three knives. One to use for regular cutting stuff open like boxes, one for fighting, and one that nobody knows about. A secret knife can save your life."

Anyway, that always stuck with me.
And of course with those 3 blades----- a handgun! I am from the same line of thought brother.