Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2013, 22:22   #1
musclegto

First time shooting my AR

Well what can I say, it was a bitter sweet day at the range. I shot my Sig m400 for the first time, this thing is awesome

I did however run into a couple of problems. My biggest concern were a few FTFeed. It happened once to me and several times to each of the people that came with me. I was running cheap winchester white box and PMC and have not thoroughly cleaned the rifle, also I suspected it was an aluminum magazine but did not have time to find out since the range closed on us. Hopefully it's a simple fix. Also the hand guard got loose one me (wiggling with the ring).

Other than that it was everything I expected it to be, I can't wait to go back. I have the fever!
musclegto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 22:27   #2
Ruggles

Congrats

I think the mag is a great place to start. Nothing wrong with aluminum mags, you might just have a bad one.

Did you lube the bolt carrier group (BCG) pretty well. They like to be wet with lube when new. It should be a wee bit sloppy at first with lube IMO. After the break in you can cut back on the lube. And that is a pretty sexual sounding reply if I ever wrote one
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 22:32   #3
Tarant

Cool, its always a good time with a new firearm.

Had a few ftfeeds with some of my new aluminum magazines, so i lightly filed down the sharp burr on the lip of the magazine both sides (just the lip that comes in contact with the body of the brass case) and after that they they all fed fine, i also let the magazines sit fully loaded for a week. I would imagine that after a few hundred rounds through a magazine the burr would smooth down on its own but i dont have that kind of ammo lol.
Old 03-01-2013, 22:57   #4
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarant View Post
Cool, its always a good time with a new firearm.

Had a few ftfeeds with some of my new aluminum magazines, so i lightly filed down the sharp burr on the lip of the magazine both sides (just the lip that comes in contact with the body of the brass case) and after that they they all fed fine, i also let the magazines sit fully loaded for a week. I would imagine that after a few hundred rounds through a magazine the burr would smooth down on its own but i dont have that kind of ammo lol.
Who does have the ammo these days

From the USMC with a FTF:

SPORTS:

Seek cover
Pull charging handle to rear,
Observe ejection port to see if a cartridge case is ejected.
Release charging handle to chamber a new round
Tap the forward assist to ensure that the bolt is fully forward
Sight and attempt to fire

Last edited by Ruggles; 03-01-2013 at 23:00..
Old 03-01-2013, 23:02   #5
musclegto

roger on the lube. I also a couple rounds with a my aimpoint pro. It was shooting low right. Here is a picture of my grouping from about 25 yards. I was shooting great with the Iron sights, so I am assuming the red dot has to be calibrated. Aimpoint booklet said 3mm per click at 25 yds. Just seeing what you guys thought about this...

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by musclegto; 03-01-2013 at 23:03..
Old 03-01-2013, 23:09   #6
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclegto View Post
roger on the lube. I also a couple rounds with a my aimpoint pro. It was shooting low right. Here is a picture of my grouping from about 25 yards. I was shooting great with the Iron sights, so I am assuming the red dot has to be calibrated. Aimpoint booklet said 3mm per click at 25 yds. Just seeing what you guys thought about this...

Black Rifle Forum
You are correct the Aimpoint (like any scope or red dot sight) needs to be sighted in by the user. Clearly you are shooting low and to the right so you want to adjust the point of impact up and to the left using the adjustments on the Aimpoint.
Old 03-01-2013, 23:31   #7
musclegto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
You are correct the Aimpoint (like any scope or red dot sight) needs to be sighted in by the user. Clearly you are shooting low and to the right so you want to adjust the point of impact up and to the left using the adjustments on the Aimpoint.
yea, I just figured it wouldn't be off by that much. And if my calculations are right, I would need a hell of a lot of clicks to get this things sighted
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

Sight the PRO at 50 yards instead of 25. It will require less offset/hold at other distances than a 25 yard zero will. A 50 yard zero lets you hold center chest from point blank to almost 300 yards, and hits within ~2.5" of the dot the entire way.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 03-02-2013 at 10:46..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I would guess your feed issues were due to a dry BCG.
I tend to run them WET, as in dripping, for the first 500 rounds.
Messy but effective..............for me.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:56   #10
musclegto

ultima lube is what I have for my glock, would that be fine for the BCG?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59   #11
musclegto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Sight the PRO at 50 yards instead of 25. It will require less offset/hold at other distances than a 25 yard zero will. A 50 yard zero lets you hold center chest from point blank to almost 300 yards, and hits within ~2.5" of the dot the entire way.
I will go ahead and try that, I would just need to find a range where I can shoot and calibrate at 50 yards ( I live in Chicago ) Does it makes sense to you guys that the red dot was off by that much in a relatively close distance? I a don't see it being human error.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:17   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I will go ahead and try that, I would just need to find a range where I can shoot and calibrate at 50 yards ( I live in Chicago ) Does it makes sense to you guys that the red dot was off by that much in a relatively close distance? I a don't see it being human error.
Not that big of a surprise to me. There's a lot of tolerance stacking involved - Barrel to upper, upper to mount (especially if there are multiple parts to the mount), mount to optic.

If 25 is the longest range you can find locally, then I'd just zero it at 25 and be done with it. If you don't have anywhere to shoot at longer distances, the 50 yard zero becomes less useful.

I'm assuming that group was shot off-hand, and not with the rifle in a rest or fired from a supported position?
Old 03-02-2013, 13:19   #13
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
ultima lube is what I have for my glock, would that be fine for the BCG?

Order a bottle of SLIP 2000 EWL. A VERY light coating on the bolt tail, the inside of the bolt carrier, 2 drops inside the gas key, wipe down surface of the carrier with lube, and 2-3 drops on the gas rings on the bolt tail. Every few hundred rounds, ease the bolt back about 2" with the charging handle, until you can see the steel gas rings showing through the witness holes on the side of the carrier (in the divot). One drop through each hole onto the rings, and rack the bolt a few times, then keep shooting.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:54   #14
musclegto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Not that big of a surprise to me. There's a lot of tolerance stacking involved - Barrel to upper, upper to mount (especially if there are multiple parts to the mount), mount to optic.

If 25 is the longest range you can find locally, then I'd just zero it at 25 and be done with it. If you don't have anywhere to shoot at longer distances, the 50 yard zero becomes less useful.

I'm assuming that group was shot off-hand, and not with the rifle in a rest or fired from a supported position?
you are correct, it was shot off hand. I do plan on using support next time I go to dial it in.
Old 03-02-2013, 14:05   #15
mvician
Lifetime Membership

use these targets

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/52...ts.html&page=1
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 22:25   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Thanks for posting that. I'll give them a try whenever my T-1 finally shows up.
Old 03-02-2013, 22:34   #17
cliffsta
Who, me?

It was amazing the first time I shot mine back in January. I just loaded up on ammo at Academy and Wal-mart, looking forward to shooting next weekend.

NRA Member
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 23:46   #18
collim1
Shower Time!

If the aluminum mag in question doesn't have a Magpul follower in it, try adding one. I haven't had a single jam with any of my old GI style mags I bought since I upgraded all the followers.

I also agree with the lube suggestions. AR's will run dirty, but they wont run dry. Keep the BCG well lubed, the key is applying the lube in the right spots, not just quantity of it.

Congrats on a nice rifle and nice optic. That should be a great setup. A few jams the first time out with a gun is not abnormal. Your AR will wear in a few hundred more rounds and you'll notice how much smoother the action is after a few more range sessions.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 00:06   #19
vettely

Quote:

Black Rifle Forum
If you think your irons are zeroed adjust the dot of your optic to where it is sitting on top of your front post. This will get you damn close. Then do a final zero at the range, shouldn't need much tweaking (if any) if your irons were spot on.

Last edited by vettely; 03-03-2013 at 19:38..
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:21   #20
musclegto

off question.

I tried running a 556 brush through it, I got the brush part in but it is not going in easy. Don't know at this point wether I should force it the rest of the way in or if I should pull it out. What do you guys think?