Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 18:51   #1
Glock_Grunt

Advice/Intro

I know there is an intro forum figured I’d do a quick intro then ask for some advice from you guys.

I was born and raised in Cincinnati and went into the US Army right after High school, served as an 11B (Infantryman) with the 502nd Infantry Regiment 101st Airborne division for four years and deployed in the Iraqi surge in OIF 07-09 for 14 months and was honorably discharged in the summer of 2010.

Since then moved to western KY and just happy to be a civilian again……. Back in May of 2012 I decided to get my first firearm it was mainly just for home defense and I went with the best handgun I had ever fired before ….You guessed it a glock.

I got a glock 17 gen 3 and it has been a great gun and I have a blast with it every time I take it to a gun range.

Earlier this year I did my CCDW class and I am now just waiting for my permit to get approved by my state.

I ended up buying a Glock 29SF and after firing it fell in love with the 10mm….. the only problem is I think it just is too fat of a gun to carry concealed.

In winter time in won’t be a problem but during summer with shorts and a t-shirt it is just too thick to carry IWB without printing.

I’m considering buying another small glock but can’t really decide.

The 357 glock I think its G33 seems nice but it’s hard to find ammo for it but I have no knowledge on the 357 version if it is a popular choice.

No offense to gappers but not really interested in the 45gap models….. the 45 auto’s seem nice but after reading all the specs on the 30’s 30S etc they are just as thick as the 29SF. The G36 would be good but the round capacity seems very low and after reading some of the forums here it seems alot of people have issues with them.

The G26 and G27 either would seem to be a good fit however I keep hearing how people say the G27 is very snappy to shoot and not fun at all so it kind of makes me leery on it.

The G26 would be nice but I just feel like 9mm is not enough to carry would like a higher caliber.

Don’t know considering adding a 3rd glock to the family or at the least try to find a nice IWB holster for the 29SF that is comfortable with jeans, shorts whatever I may be wearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited by Glock_Grunt; 03-04-2013 at 23:16..
Glock_Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:01   #2
boose88

The glock 27 snap is personal preference. some say they hate it (like me) others say they dont even notice it and wonder what I am talking about.

I would get the 26 for a few reasons. You have shot several 9mm in your 17 and know how its going to react, higher round capacity generally speaking and you state you would like to carry a bigger round. 9mm hollow points do a great job of stopping people with well placed shots (as other calibers do) so dont get to hung up on "I wanna carry a huge bullet" thing. I did that for a while n now love my G19

Hope i helped

BTW i know NOTHING about the other models you mentioned.
boose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:12   #3
boose88

oh and you can save a little $$ using ur G17 mags in the 26...but u prolly already knew that
boose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:52   #4
Daddyc79

I have a G27 as my EDC and I love it. I can conceal it without any problems. If you are used to 9mm, you may think its snappy. I find the recoil just right for a subcompact. I have no problem with follow up shots. It's not something I want to take to the range and shoot 500 rounds through in a day. That's what I bought a G23 for. I just love the .40 cal round.
Daddyc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:02   #5
OCOB

Have you looked at the Versacarry? A 29 with a Versacarry is probably slimmer than a 26/27 in a conventional iwb holster. I tried hard to get my 33 to go off by "accident" while using it and couldn't but you could add a trigger block and still not have a lot invested.

posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
OCOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:21   #6
hi-power man
Silver Membership

I carried 9 mm for a long time and never felt under-powered. Proper ammunition selection and shot placement is the correct solution. I've never been able to match my 9 mm times and accuracy on 4 - 5 drills with my 45's. I've come close with the G30.

In 2002 I bought my first Glock, a G36. I have carried that unit and put over 6000 rounds thru it and it has never failed. Last year I purchased a G30 primarily wanting the ability to use the G21 mag as a spare carry mag. After trying two holsters that did not work for me, I finally bought a Raven Phantom. This one works. I always carry IWB but I have carried it OWB a few times. I use a wilderness belt and a 5 O'Clock location. It is a bit scratchy if you don't wear an undershirt. The raven does an excellent job of spreading the weight and conforming to your body shape. Sorry I don't have a photo of the gun in the holster, but the holster is here:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/
Old 03-04-2013, 20:28   #7
GLOCK19FTW

1st off, thank you for your service.

2nd, I don't understand why people are always frowning upon 9mm.

The right kind of ammo goes a loooooooooong way. This is true for every caliber, even .22's

Get a good, reliable 9mm bullet for SD and whichever 9mm GLOCK you feel most comfortable with.

I have a G19 (gen3) and I couldn't be happier with it.

Fairly simple to conceal, fits my hand perfectly, and I KNOW I can put down anything that comes my way, be it man or beast.

Might take a few extra shots depending on the target, but that is why they hold more.

What a 9mm might lack in power, it surely makes up for in quantity.

Other than that - Welcome to GT my friend!

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 03-04-2013 at 20:30..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:25   #8
Glock_Grunt

Not really bashing 9mm I use my G17 loaded with 9mm hollow point self defense rounds for my home defense gun.

I am very accuarte with my G17 but the G17 is way to big for my size to carry conceal.... that's why I wanted a subcompact.

At first I was looking at either the G26 or G27 but before I found either I got my G29SF and the 10mm is such an awesome round to shoot. Granted I'm no where near as accuarte with it.

Most handgun training I got was in the Military and it was all in 9mm..... but I am slowly getting better with my 10mm.

I was planning on keeping the 10mm for sure probably for winter carry o even alot of camping trips that I do.

But like I said it is a thick framed gun....... I may consider a G26 not really sure on the .40 round never fired it before so I may scratch off the G27.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by Glock_Grunt; 03-04-2013 at 23:26..
Old 03-04-2013, 23:37   #9
Glock_Grunt

looking into the versacarry that may be a great idea
Old 03-05-2013, 00:22   #10
TxGlock9

If you're getting used to the 10mm you'll have NO problems with a G27.

I prefer 9mm though, personally....
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12   #11
Goodrich
Like a Sir

I EDC the 27 and I'm 5'5 140 not a very big guy and I have zero problems with the snappyness of the 27. just like other's have said I wouldn't spend all day at the range with it, that's what the 19 is for.
Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28   #12
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGlock9 View Post

My thoughts exactly...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36   #13
JoeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGlock9 View Post

Yep . I find it hard to believe the 27 will provide more recoil than your 10mm. I also prefer the 9 mm Glocks, however. Choose your favorite & I'm sure you'll be fine. For that matter, you can carry the 29sf, you just need to search GT for concealment ideas.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:45   #14
Bruce M

I also suspect that if you can shoot the G29 fine you will no issues with the G27. I also agree that the G26 would be a fine choice. There is some statistical evidence suggesting that i real life situations there is no real statistical difference between the popular caliber pistols when using the latest defense ammunition offerings. And I also think that one may want to consider other than a Glock as what would appear to be your third pistol.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:37   #15
JoeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodrich View Post
I EDC the 27 and I'm 5'5 140 not a very big guy and I have zero problems with the snappyness of the 27. just like other's have said I wouldn't spend all day at the range with it, that's what the 19 is for.
I personally don't think one's body size has much to do with perceived recoil. I am 6' 250 pounds with big hands but short fingers. I prefer the 9mm Glocks all day long. The .40 is snappy to me. I am starting to get some arthritis in my hand and I'm sure that has a bit to do with it. Like the others have said, if you like the 10 mm round, I can't imagine the .40 would be a problem for you. There are a lot of members here on GT that love the G27. Pick what you like best and you will be happy. I would actually love to be able to shoot the 27 but my hands just cant seem to take it. I settled on the G26 for carry & love it!