GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:30   #21
moonwilson

I had always heard about the "savage, brutal, snappy recoil" of the .40 cal round. I was always curious about it, finally broke down and got a P229 and took it to the range. I mustered up all of my courage and touched off the first round from that mighty cannon. "Bang." Oh. That wasn't so bad. "Bang bang bang bang bang etc.". Hmm. Meh.

Same thing with my 23. It recoils, sure. But it's no big deal. You know when the gun goes off, but it certainly isn't painful or an impediment to shooting in any way.

You want recoil? Shoot some heavy .357 through a light J-frame and get back to me. That's some brutal business. After the first time I shot .357 through my 60 Pro-Series my hand was bleeding. A .40 through a Glock is nothing compared to that.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52   #22
tango44

A perfect Talon Grips candidate!
Congrats!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38   #23
NDCent
Socially Inept

I shoot .40 a lot, the main thing I notice is the G27 is slower, for me, to do follow up shots with. Some folks have better grip techniques than others, but multiple shots come faster for me with any other .40 caliber Glock than with the G27.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56   #24
w4dov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock40man View Post
The recoil of the G27 is a bit over-hyped IMO.
Recoil is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I read a lot about recoil and the 27 before purchasing mine. However, when I took it to the range, I noticed no discernible difference between it and my 22.

Of course, 180gr raised the front sight a little more than the 165gr but I shot 250 rounds of this mixture and found the recoil very manageable.
Old 03-07-2013, 19:46   #25
cowboy1964

Yes, recoil is subjective AND comparative AND ammo dependent. Shoot a 26 and then a 27 and you'll know which is which.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 03-07-2013 at 19:47..
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:33   #26
man.cave

IR
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I swap: 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 cal. in my G27 at each range session and I cannot perceive any difference.

It is a great pistol.
U must be a beast, I have a 26 & 27. and often shoot both. U empty a mag in one and pick up the other, there is a difference. I carry the 27 my wife the 26.

Last edited by man.cave; 03-07-2013 at 20:53..
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:39   #27
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
A perfect Talon Grips candidate!
Congrats!
Agrip is ALOT better...Trust me on this!
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:34   #28
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman99 View Post
Agrip is ALOT better...Trust me on this!
THANKS!

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Official AGrip™ Manufacturer Website

AGrip™ Installation Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 21:22   #29
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
I don't have a G26 or G27 -- I assume my M&P9c and M&P40c are similar in recoil difference.

IMHO most of you are missing the point --

Sure almost anyone that can shoot a G26 can shoot a G27 - it is not like the recoil is going to break your arm.

I did not think the recoil of my M&P40c was bad at all - then one day I did a test --

I took a few large targets and put 10 circles on each - some small - some larger - then numbered them 1-10 in a random way.

I then did a timed test with a stop watch -

Shoot the circles - in number order - from about 10 feet - as fast as I could do so - and hit inside the circles.

After a few times it became OBVIOUS that my total times shooting my 9MM M&P9c were faster than my .40 caliber M&P40c.

I can't recall my exact numbers - but accumulating all my times - on average - it was taking me about 2 seconds longer to shoot 10 rounds of .40 than 10 rounds of 9MM.

This is a significant difference - it surprised me - after all I never thought the recoil of the .40 was bad at all.

I am sure some guys can shoot both calibers just as fast - and just as accurately - I can't.

I still have all 3 of my .40 caliber guns - still shoot them - still like them - but it is just a fact - I can't shoot them as well as I can a 9MM.

Next time you are at the range prove it to yourself.
There's a reason 9 is so easy to control. There's no POWER there! I'm mostly joking, but for those of us who can carry/control a .40, we like having a serious caliber that stands a better chance of putting down bad dudes. It's not worth having perfect controllability if I have to dump an entire magazine into him.
Old 03-08-2013, 22:51   #30
FireInCairo

I think people who notice it most usually have spent a lot of time with .45's or G26's before trying the G27. There is more snap, and they can tell right away. I started my pistol experience on compact and subcompact .40 caliber pistols, so the only thing I notice is that 9mm pistols feel like peashooters.
FireInCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:07   #31
drcotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
To me recoil has always been subjective to the individual person.
I think your point would better be stated that the shooter's response or attitude to the recoil is subjective. The actual
recoil is absolute and measurable, ie objective. Not trying to split hairs, but the difference is important in discussions.
drcotlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:24   #32
drcotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
I don't have a G26 or G27 -- I assume my M&P9c and M&P40c are similar in recoil difference.

IMHO most of you are missing the point --

Sure almost anyone that can shoot a G26 can shoot a G27 - it is not like the recoil is going to break your arm.

I did not think the recoil of my M&P40c was bad at all - then one day I did a test --

I took a few large targets and put 10 circles on each - some small - some larger - then numbered them 1-10 in a random way.

I then did a timed test with a stop watch -

Shoot the circles - in number order - from about 10 feet - as fast as I could do so - and hit inside the circles.

After a few times it became OBVIOUS that my total times shooting my 9MM M&P9c were faster than my .40 caliber M&P40c.

I can't recall my exact numbers - but accumulating all my times - on average - it was taking me about 2 seconds longer to shoot 10 rounds of .40 than 10 rounds of 9MM.

This is a significant difference - it surprised me - after all I never thought the recoil of the .40 was bad at all.

I am sure some guys can shoot both calibers just as fast - and just as accurately - I can't.

I still have all 3 of my .40 caliber guns - still shoot them - still like them - but it is just a fact - I can't shoot them as well as I can a 9MM.

Next time you are at the range prove it to yourself.
I am not surprised at the results of your test and would expect such a result in the hands of most . I bought a 40 over a 9 (27 instead of 26) for the larger, more powerful round. I see it as a trade off.
Old 03-09-2013, 15:31   #33
drcotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInCairo View Post
I think people who notice it most usually have spent a lot of time with .45's or G26's before trying the G27. There is more snap, and they can tell right away. I started my pistol experience on compact and subcompact .40 caliber pistols, so the only thing I notice is that 9mm pistols feel like peashooters.
Informative and interesting perspective.
Old 03-09-2013, 19:38   #34
TTex
Cannon Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
You guys are high, the 27 is ferocious, period. My 23 is a real kicker as well, if you want a soft shooting 40 get a SIG P229. But the 27 is just plain nasty.
I'm guessing this is sarcasm?
I find the 9mm +P+ to be a little more on the ferocious side! The times I've shot 40 I didn't see what all the hype was about, but Federal 115gr 9mm +P+ turns that tame G19 into a whole nother animal!
I generally prefer the 9 and 45, but I have no problem with the 40, it's just not my caliber of choice.
And the 9mm +P+ makes me wonder if I'm pushing a G19 or G26 a little to far.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 19:42   #35
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
IR

U must be a beast, I have a 26 & 27. and often shoot both. U empty a mag in one and pick up the other, there is a difference. I carry the 27 my wife the 26.

Naw. I do have a strong grip from a lot of "hammer and dolly" custom car work, but it's just a sweet shooting gun.

I shot a .410 "pistol" my friend cut down from a full length shotgun and that is a beast.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.

Last edited by janice6; 03-10-2013 at 10:26.. Reason: called it a rifle-- stupid.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 23:03   #36
DannyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInCairo View Post
The only 45's I have ever shot were full sized 1911's and a G21. Are you saying that a 40 sub-compact is snappier than a sub-compact 45?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23   #37
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
There's a reason 9 is so easy to control. There's no POWER there! I'm mostly joking, but for those of us who can carry/control a .40, we like having a serious caliber that stands a better chance of putting down bad dudes. It's not worth having perfect controllability if I have to dump an entire magazine into him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcotlar View Post
I am not surprised at the results of your test and would expect such a result in the hands of most . I bought a 40 over a 9 (27 instead of 26) for the larger, more powerful round. I see it as a trade off.
For SD - I use a quality HP in my 9MM - and do not feel that the round is lacking in power or performance.

The slight difference in stopping power (if there even is one) between the 9 and 40 is not that big of a deal.

I will admit that part of my reasoning is because I have developed arthritus in my wrists and hands -

If I go shoot 100 rounds of .40 the next day I have a hard time tying my shoes. Shooting the same number of 9MM or .45 ACP leaves my wrists a little swollen but not as bad.

I also like the 2 extra rounds I can get in my M&P9c VS the M&P40c.

The point I was making -

It is not that the .40 recoil is so punishing that it is painful (for most) - but that extra recoil - even if you don't really feel it - increases the time between shots & or impacts your accuracy.

Does a fraction of a second really matter?

Most likely not - hope I never have to find out.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36   #38
Kimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
In a perfect world, I'm with you; bigger is better. But it's not a perfect world and it's irrelevant if you can't put rounds on target at speed. Personally, I very seldom see someone shooting a Glock 27 or even a 23 that can do this. Some handle it fine without time constraints, some don't. But once you put time and accuracy constraints on them, a lot don't shoot the guns well. The increased recoil starts to play a much larger role when you have to shoot faster at smaller targets. This is what many don't take into consideration. I understand it's a trade off, but it's only a trade off if your times and accuracy are close to each other. If not, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Kimura; 03-10-2013 at 11:37..
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:26   #39
scosgt

I find the recoil of my G27 and G23 to be LESS than my old service G19 and G26.
The 9mm recoil is sharp, the .40 recoil is a push.

Even my Kahr CM40 is not much worse to shoot than a Kahr MK9, which is steel and heavier.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 16:05   #40
CrackerKen

I swear, there is probably someone out there who would gripe about the "harsh" recoil of a .22 LR.

Seriously, I have no issues with .40S&W recoil in either my G27 or my new S&W M&P Shield .40. Instead of having a 9mm and using +p or +P+, I just use .40 S&W and cut to the chase.

The last gun I used in law enforcement was a .357 mag S&W Model 19. We had to start qualifying with magnum ammo, and THAT hurt after about 180 rds in a day. With the .40 semi-auto's, no problem.
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote