SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2013, 20:43   #1
M2 Carbine

Need new computer monitor

My monitor is craping out.
When I turn on the computer I have to hit the monitor Off/On button 8-10 times before I get a picture. Works OK once it get's started.

So, Any brands to get or stay away from?
This old one is a "ViewSonic". Got it off the internet some years back. It worked good for years up to a couple weeks ago
Now I'm using a OLD, OLD CRT Compaq but small screen and takes up way too much space.

Second question.
I hate the new Photobucket. It's slow and keeps locking up on me. I've been using Photobucket for MANY years, so I guess it's time for them to screw it up.

So the question is, what's a good replacement?
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 22:33   #2
kc8ykd

i can't speak towards your second question, however, i personally prefer samsung and asus monitors.

hit newegg.com and search for either of those brands for something within your budget and you can't go wrong.
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51   #3
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Not too sure about particular brands, lately I find myself using a lot of Asus stuff. The big thing to keep in mind is the resolution. At work we have 27" Dell monitors. At home I have a 27" iMac. The work monitors are 1900
X1080. My iMac is 2560x1440. After a day of video editing on my iMac my eyes are completely fine. After half that long at work I can definitely feel the eyestrain.

going to pay more for the higher resolution, but all 27" monitors are definitely not created equal. And after using a 27 I'll never go back to a tiny screen, the extra real estate is just too valuable.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14   #4
Taphius

Monoprice is making some 27inch monitors. Worth checking out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Taphius; 03-07-2013 at 02:14..
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:43   #5
BobbyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
Monoprice is making some 27inch monitors. Worth checking out
Be sure to check the resolution -- if it just says "1080" or "HD", as in 1920x1080, all they're doing is stretching the same resolution to sizes too big for computer use.

A 1920x1080 should be about 21-22". More useful if you work with documents and don't just watch movies would be the taller aspect 1920x1200, like in a Dell 24".

That's where I'd stop, unless you're looking to spend real money. If it's in the 27-30" range, it should be 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 -- very useful, but prices rise dramatically because it's hard to get that many good pixels.

A giant 1080 monitor doesn't give you any more content, just stretches it out. Stay away from those.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:16   #6
jdw174

I've got an Acer 19" flat screen that's been going strong for 6 years now. Totally satisfied.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Unlike a CRT monitor, on an LED monitor things can get distorted if the monitor is not run at its native resolution. With the smaller ones, this can make things look pretty small.

There are, "business" class monitors that are more square and more like CRT monitors and there are, "wide screen" format monitors that have the same vertical - horizontal ratio as a movie theater movie screen. That pretty much just gets rid of the black spaces on top and bottom when watching a movie on the monitor. My old computer works well with CRT and non-wide screen LED monitors but it doesn't display properly on a wide screen monitor and I can't see the borders or toolbars with it hooked up to a wide screen monitor. There is suppose to be some fooling around with the settings that will make it display small enough to fit but I haven't them yet. Also I don't want to change the resolution. My newer laptop works great with a wide screen monitor without any adjustments required and even works well with a small LCD TV but the older computer does not.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36   #8
Adjuster

Don't forget the option of a new television. A 32" LCD/LED makes a great monitor and a tv in one package. As stated above make sure you adjust your video card output to the native resolution of the monitor.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I just bought a refurbished 22" AOC monitor from woot.com a couple of weeks ago. I'm loving it. The new price on it was something like $170.

Personally I still like 4:3 monitors myself but the ones that they sell these days aren't nearly as good as the Xerox one I've been using since around 2004. The Focus is on 16:9 monitors today.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45   #10
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
This old one is a "ViewSonic". Got it off the internet some years back. It worked good for years up to a couple weeks ago
Viewsonic. Love them. Have 3 of them right now. 2 Are 6-7 years old and the other is 4? Only the oldest has any problems.

BTW I never use the switch. They just wear out. If you turn your entire computer off use the switch on the power strip. Otherwise let your computer put the monitor to sleep.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:50   #11
M2 Carbine

Thanks for the info. Using the guide lines I'll start looking around and see what I come up with.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:55   #12
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Don't forget the option of a new television. A 32" LCD/LED makes a great monitor and a tv in one package. As stated above make sure you adjust your video card output to the native resolution of the monitor.

/
This.

I run a 26" 1080p LED Samsung TV as a dual monitor with my 21" iMac. It's also hooked up to cable. Better than just a monitor. Being a Mac and all, I just plugged it in and it worked, no adjustments.

Last edited by wrenrj1; 03-07-2013 at 18:56..
wrenrj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:23   #13
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Dual ASUS 24" (or are they 26") LED panels and after 2 years I am still very happy.

Super Light! And they weren't that expensive, but it's the 1980 X 1080 using DVI (or Analog or HDMI)

Keeping me happy so far...

Have fun shopping!

Download YOUR copy of Internet Safety Tips - "The Essentials"!
My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:28   #14
xidica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Dual ASUS 24" (or are they 26") LED panels and after 2 years I am still very happy.

Super Light! And they weren't that expensive, but it's the 1980 X 1080 using DVI (or Analog or HDMI)

Keeping me happy so far...

Have fun shopping!
+1

We have the dual Asus 24" monitors at work and I have a 27" Asus for my home office. Outstanding monitors, especially considering the price.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:53   #15
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

For size reference I have a 23 inch widescreen IPS monitor that is the exact same height as my 19 inch CRT monitor. I have also used a 19 inch (or really 18.5 inches) TV as a computer monitor with good results.
Old 03-08-2013, 23:46   #16
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

I use a 32" 1080p SONY BRAVIA TV as my monitor.

BRAVIA jokes aside − Which I still don't get? − it is by far the best "monitor" I have ever owned.

It even fits on my 'normal-sized' desk.

Personally, I would never go back to a 'real' monitor after using this one unless there was no other option.

YMMV
ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16   #17
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Woot has some more of those AOC refurbs I was talking about earlier if the OP or anyone else is interested. I'm loving mine.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/aoc-22-1080p-led-monitor-20
Old 03-29-2013, 00:01   #18
SandP04

My office has the AOC E2343FK 23" screens and they've done really well...

We've been running them just over a year now with no issues.
SandP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23   #19
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

When you decide on what brands you want to choose from, try checking out a pawn shop. Prices are low, and mine has a guaranty on their stuff..

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 15:15   #20
TRX302

If you're running Windows, consider a $40 dual-output video card and a pair of 24 or 27 inch monitors. Monitors are so cheap now it's foolish not to get the extra space. On most Windows setups, it's simply a matter of plugging in the card and monitors, right-clicking on the desktop, and telling Windows which would be on the left and which should be on the right.

If you're running OpenSUSE or Mandriva, they'll detect and configure dual monitors on installation. Other distributions might require some work.

The monitors are your window to the world.
TRX302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:34   #21
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

I use an LED television. None of that fluorescent light pulsing, sound is better as well.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14   #22
Gpruitt54

Samsung and ASUS are some of the best and most reliable monitors for the consumer level gear.

Please don't consider anything but LCD or LED monitors (I prefer LED). These monitors take up far less space on the desk, use much less power, run cooler, tons lighter in weight, produce better video quality, support multiple signal input formats (HDMI, VGA, DVI, and display port), and are designed and support 16 x 9 video aspect ratio (Wide Screen Video).

Last edited by Gpruitt54; 04-18-2013 at 08:23..
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42   #23
Old School

I've had luck with ViewSonic and Dell. Had one Samsung fail, but one worked great. Costco typically offers a great warranty.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote