Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:23   #1
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

SHTF...What supplies would you trade for booze?

I see tons of threads where people are stock piling booze to trade for SHTF items they didn't purchase.

Here is my question, if you were out of booze and desperate for a drink, what critical supplies would you be willing to trade to quinch your thirst during SHTF?

For me...NOTHING!

I'm a light, light drinker.

Booze is the last thing I would need during SHTF.

What would you trade your guns, ammo, food, water or medicine for?

Last edited by ICARRY2; 03-17-2013 at 12:31..
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:47   #2
308endurdebate

Depending on the situation, high proof would be useful for multiple purposes -

antiseptic, fuel for stove, fuel for engine, weapon (m-cocktail) to think of a few.

I don't drink, so I'd only trade for the above. And really probably only the first purpose. In the absence of good hygiene and health care, wound/bite infection is likely to take a larger toll that we have expect. The second is useful (alcohol burns without smoke or odor), so if you need to have fire for cooking or warmth and don't want others to know, that would be a good secondary usage that is perhaps worth trading for.

What I'd trade... depends on what I have and what I think I can replenish or what I don't need in the near future.
308endurdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 15:09   #3
Allfal

I try to not underestimate what an addict will do for his drug of choice, whatever that substance might be. It really depends on what type of SHTF you are talking about. A localized short term event, I would consider trading some food for an expensive bottle of good bourbon. A long term even would be different.

I make my own mead because I like the taste better than store bought. Many people make wine or beer. If you can do this, distilling it into alcohol is not magic and most could build a still from scrounged material as long as they have a little basic knowledge.
If you have sufficient supplies to make beer, wine or mead, you can make your own alcohol in a long term SHTF.
Allfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 15:26   #4
pugman

What would I trade...nothing.

I have a case of cheapish vodka...I have a case of cheapish Whiskey.

then I have a few bottles of decent bourbon (my booze of choice).

I like beer. Once a year I tie one on big time usually around a party or wedding. This said I could go the rest of my life starting tomorrow never drinking again...

booze just isn't a priority.
Old 03-17-2013, 15:38   #5
Glockcubed

My "Hurricane" supplies are plenty of ammo, bourbon, and cigars. And propane. As of today, for SHTF scenario , I am in good shape on ammo, but am lacking on the others. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. However, i would only trade alcohol for (which I would have) for anything for life, or strategic purposes.
Old 03-17-2013, 15:43   #6
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICARRY2 View Post
I see tons of threads where people are stock piling booze to trade for SHTF items they didn't purchase.

Here is my question, if you were out of booze and desperate for a drink, what critical supplies would you be willing to trade to quinch your thirst during SHTF?

For me...NOTHING!

I wouldn't either.

Nor would I trade for tobacoo/cigarettes/whatever.

But that doesn't mean other people would [not]. Even right now other people trade (things, to include money) for all sorts of things I don't want.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 03-17-2013 at 18:00..
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 17:04   #7
LongGun1
StraightShooter

I basically stock isopropyl & reagent grade alcohol..

..best not to ingest either!

I do not drink..

..nor do I actively associate with anyone who does!

(I personally do not use tobacco products, refrain from using even prescribed drugs, etc....or even drink coffee)

If ever a bad SHTF....

..I figure we would have enough to concern ourselves about..

..besides somebody in our COFF seriously compromised and/or willing to sacrifice just about anything to get their next fix of "whatever"!

If there was someone in our circle with that weakness...

..they would need to detox completely before I would trust them with anything of importance.

YMMV

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 03-17-2013 at 17:07..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 18:50   #8
GotFour

Got guns...........take da booze along wi da women!
GotFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 19:38   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

There are people out there who NEED alcohol or caffeine.

Then there are people who know that caffeine and alcohol are drugs.

RWBlue is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

I think most people will have a harder time stepping away from the caffeine. If in doubt, swap out the pot of decaff or the caff coffee on Monday. Then sit back and watch the fun.

Last edited by RWBlue; 03-17-2013 at 20:16..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 19:44   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
I do not drink....nor do I actively associate with anyone who does!
So you don't associate with people who casually drink....hmm.
Didn't expect that.

I see a difference between someone who has a drink or two and a drunk.

BTW, Jesus drank.

Last edited by RWBlue; 03-17-2013 at 19:45..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 19:54   #11
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree with Blue

And I do drink, but not much, and not often. I strongly dislike being intoxicated, even just moderately, due to the lessening of my ability to do things. From a preparedness angle not being fit to drive a car for even just a few hours, alone, is a serious liability, it would seem.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 03-17-2013 at 19:55..
Old 03-17-2013, 20:02   #12
Syclone538

On other uses, a gallon of captain morgan is about $65, a gallon of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol is about $23, a gallon of gas is about $4.

On people that drink, it seems every time we have this thread, a few people assume that everyone that drinks is an alcoholic and can't stop. It's hard to put into words how wrong that is. Most, I'd guess more then 95%, of the people I know that drink, drink on the weekend and would simply stop in shtf. This includes me.
quan ao nam ao nguc do dung cho be vest cong so nu vest cong so nu trang phuc ngay cuoi
I can think of one person that I know that would likely have problems stopping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:50..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 20:22   #13
Revvv

Even if you drink every day, quitting can be done. It takes a desire and a will, plus the ability to make it through withdrawal if there are any.

I know guys that have a couple (sometimes more) bottles of beer every night. They are not alcoholics and can stop at anytime. There is no dependance.

However, I know a few people that are dependant on alcohol. They can give it up, but they have to make the choice to do so. These few people that I know would likely be willing to trade a few things for a couple gallons.

I have been known to have a drink from time to time, and enjoy a good craft beer. However, if things were to crash and burn around me I could do without and never look back.

Like others have said, the main use for alcohol in a crisis would be for fuel/fire purposes and cleansing.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 20:25   #14
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We bought a box (6 bottles) of rum in the Virgin Islands and never really got around to drinking any of it. Guess it's preps now, buried in the back of the pantry, out of sight and out of mind.

Last edited by Warp; 03-17-2013 at 20:25..
Old 03-17-2013, 21:47   #15
F350

Ever get to know someone who lived through the depression then WWII with the rationing??

Wife #1 and I were helping her grandmother (a total tea totaling Pentecost) clean out a backroom of her house. That's where we found ~30 cases of Old Grand Dad in pints, wife was shocked and asked her why she had so much booze. She said during WWII just because you had ration stamps and money you couldn't always get what you needed; but throw in a pint of whiskey and things suddenly appeared, and during the depression sometimes all that was needed was a bottle of whiskey.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 00:31   #16
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
So you don't associate with people who casually drink....hmm.
Didn't expect that.

Actually...I said I do not actively associate with those who drink.

In my life experience...I have found alcohol use/abuse to be a such an impairment & weakness in so many of my business & casual dealings..

..with too many of those people whose association with alcohol ending in disfigurement & death....both themselves and/or others..

..not to mention the "personality issues" when under the influence...

..I do not actively associate with those so inclined to use (abuse) alcohol.

For those relatives who do use alcohol at family reunions..

..or co-workers at company parties & the like...

..I find myself being the one basically ensuring they make it from "Point A to Point B" intact, alive & not incarcerated.

As an FFL in the 1990s..

..I went from shying away from customers who had alcohol issues..

..to a hard & fast policy of "take your business elsewhere" after a couple of truly dumb alcohol related firearms mishaps/encounters.

Not to mention all of the "can take it or leave it ...casual social drinkers" I know who found out the hard way there was nothing especially casual or social about a DUI/DWI (or 2 or 3)!

While this guy may say...."Stay thirsty, my friends."

Survival/Preparedness Forum

..I am more likely to be the one thinking it is much better to..

.. "Stay frosty, my friends"!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 03-19-2013 at 00:42..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20   #17
ClydeG19

I know that if tshtf, I'd give my booze to RWBlue. He's the bravest and kindest guy I know. He's also all around wonderful.
ClydeG19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27   #18
Stevekozak
Returning video

I have a stock of my favorite libations. In SHTF, I would use it as wanted, and trade it off as needed, but when it was gone would not trade for more. There is none in my BOB.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LG1: There seems to be a serious crossed signal, RE: Alcohol use/consumption as compared to alcohol abuse

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33   #20
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICARRY2 View Post

For me...NOTHING!

Stock everclear. Lots and lots of everclear. Lots and lots and lots of everclear. Cheap vodka might work, too, but I don't know. Everclear works as fuel for fire as well as antiseptic...or some idiot can get drunk off of it.

I'd trade things for such a liquor.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote