GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2013, 22:45   #21
mrvco

This is the first I've ever heard it (the empty chamber part).

Last edited by mrvco; 03-09-2013 at 10:45..
mrvco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43   #22
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBellMan View Post
Again, I dont see the difference in doing this. Glocks do this naturally when they feed the next bullet from the magazine into the chamber..
No, it doesn't.

When the slide moves forward, it starts to push the round in the magazine forward. As the round moves forward and up, the base of it starts sliding up the breechface and under the extractor. The slide goes fully into battery, and you are ready to fire.

When you drop the slide on the loaded chamber, the extractor has to hit the rim of the case, and then pop out and over the rim. You can damage the rim of the case, as well as the extractor that way.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:24   #23
SDR

Done what the OP posted many hundreds if not a thousand times in the past 22 years on my G21 I bought new. Just had Glock do a once over and the armorer said it is in very fine condition (and it certainly looks and feels so). Also had another guy who has valued weapons for a major gun shop for years give it a 90th percentile for resale.

No idea on other weapons but it certainly doesn't do a thing to a Glock.
SDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:37   #24
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

In Glock's IW (Instructor Workshop) you are taught to remove the ammuntion source and rack the slide 3x to ensure a weapon is clear. The slide is then locked to the rear, and the weapon visually and physically inspected. That's 3 "dropping the slide on an empty chamber" incidents per gun clearing. All over the country, Glock-trained LEO's are doing this - for years on end with the same service weapon - with no ill effects noted. Many of these service weapons survive to be re-sold in the "Factory Rebuild" program, or through distributors.

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is part of "Glock-Fu". Embrace it. You will not harm your weapon in the slightest.

It's fun to watch gun store employees cringe when a LEO who only knows Glocks is handed a high-end 1911, and the first thing he does is rack the slide three times to ensure it's clear. Many gun shops near me won't let customers (many of whom are cops, and are almost exclusively Glock-armed) routinely handle the high-end 1911's on display for that reason. I can't say I blame them. I'm also not sure I'd want to pay $$$$ for a gun that had to be so carefully handled. My opinion; no disrespect meant to those whose taste in guns is finer than mine.
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:38   #25
Deadduck

I grew up shooting 1911's and was taught to not let the slide slam without a loaded mag inserted. As a matter of habit, I don't do it on any pistol.

On the other hand, you never want to "ride" the slide down when chambering a round. Let it slam home just like it would when firing.

Also, I only chamber a round from the mag, never by inserting it directly into the chamber.

Right? Wrong? Heck I don't know, but I've been doing it this way all my life, no need to change now!
Old 03-09-2013, 14:14   #26
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Also, I only chamber a round from the mag, never by inserting it directly into the chamber.

Right? Wrong? Heck I don't know, but I've been doing it this way all my life, no need to change now!
When I put it back together after cleaning/oiling, I just put the round directly in to the chamber (the one that came out of the chamber before taking it apart) & GENTLY ease the slide back in to position, then insert the mag.

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 14:45   #27
TacoBellMan

We arent talking about artifact or collector pistols here. Stop worrying about your damn guns so much and just shoot it! To me, if it cant take the little bit of abuse like this than it definitely isn't worth the money I paid for it.
TacoBellMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 19:30   #28
cciman

Why not just slam one inn from a mag and reload the mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
When I put it back together after cleaning/oiling, I just put the round directly in to the chamber (the one that came out of the chamber before taking it apart) & GENTLY ease the slide back in to position, then insert the mag.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 19:30   #29
cciman

Why not just slam one in from a mag and reload the mag?

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 19:38   #30
cciman

Truly everyone has their own opinion of doing things...who gives a F>> what someone else really does?

Facts:
Most modern semiautos, you can slam the slide on an empty chamber with no ill effects. Do NOT do this with 1911 platforms, it is not good for 1911's fine tuned inter-related ignition parts.

You can slam the slide on a chambered round, and get away with it, but if you are worried about the extractor being damaged (and there is a finite risk), then don't. Best to have the slide action strip one off the mag, like during actual firing, and then top up the mag.
Old 03-09-2013, 20:32   #31
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Why not just slam one in from a mag and reload the mag?
I used to do that, but then I read somewhere that chambering the same exact round too many times (due to the force of the slide) can actually screw up the primer.

Since reading that, I do it the way I posted above, just in case.

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
Old 03-09-2013, 22:53   #32
AustinTx

Quote:
I used to do that, but then I read somewhere that chambering the same exact round too many times (due to the force of the slide) can actually screw up the primer.

Since reading that, I do it the way I posted above, just in case.
It can cause bullet "set-back" and that can cause the chamber pressure to go high enough for a famous Glock KB.

I can't imagine what would damage the primer, in a Glock. It can be bad in SKS and AK-47 rifles because they don't usually have a firing pin return spring. The momentum, of the firing pin will cause it to hit the primer, when the bolt slams shut. Not a problem with hard military primers.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49   #33
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Having been through three re-certs of armors school, I can recall only two situations where you ease the slide forward. One is the check for the reliability of the recoil spring in that you ease it forward almost all the way while the muzzle is upward and see if the spring will finish the job.

The second is to be sure the gun is empty prior to taking it apart. After ensuring the mag is removed, ease the slide forward to be equally sure there is nothing in the chamber while closing the slide.

In all those schools, I've never heard an instructor say a word about potential damage of letting a slide go forward on an empty chamber at full speed. It's done countless times during the inspection process each class.

That said - I know Beretta 92s don't like it as they have sold hundreds of locking blocks that break for that very reason. I have little experience with 1911s and can't speak to that.

Last edited by Uncle Don; 03-10-2013 at 03:50..
Uncle Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15   #34
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
It can cause bullet "set-back" and that can cause the chamber pressure to go high enough for a famous Glock KB.

I can't imagine what would damage the primer, in a Glock. It can be bad in SKS and AK-47 rifles because they don't usually have a firing pin return spring. The momentum, of the firing pin will cause it to hit the primer, when the bolt slams shut. Not a problem with hard military primers.
Ohhh - well I certainly don't want my 19 to go kaboom :(

lol I'll stick to doing it this way just to be sure that doesn't happen

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34   #35
blastfact

This thread was good for the first laugh of the day.

Thank You
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:08   #36
Aaron Geisler

Competition shooters do this at the end of every stage. It is done thousands of times over a year.
Aaron Geisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23   #37
scosgt

There is more risk of damage in a metal frame gun, especially aluminum, where you have parts slamming together more than they would when a round is fed from the chamber.

However the M1 Carbine and certain small Rugers do not even have a slide hold open on last round feature, so every single magazine results in a slam on empty chamber.

Don't worry about it, you can not hurt a Glock.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59   #38
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Personally I think warnings against dropping the slide on an empty chamber is way overblown. You hear all the time about not doing this on a 1911. I've been shooting 1911s just as long as Glocks and the only time I have ever heard where this could damage a 1911 is on those with ultra light competition triggers.
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not good for any autoloader. And yes, it will definitely screw up a 1911. It damages the hammer/sear connection point. It tells you right in the manual, not to do it, but I guess you know better. Anyone who continues to drop the slide on an empty chamber is a fool.
Old 03-10-2013, 13:02   #39
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Truly everyone has their own opinion of doing things...who gives a F>> what someone else really does?

Facts:
Most modern semiautos, you can slam the slide on an empty chamber with no ill effects.
Do NOT do this with 1911 platforms, it is not good for 1911's fine tuned inter-related ignition parts.

You can slam the slide on a chambered round, and get away with it, but if you are worried about the extractor being damaged (and there is a finite risk), then don't. Best to have the slide action strip one off the mag, like during actual firing, and then top up the mag.
Are you a gunsmith, or are you just spewing internet forum wisdom? Everything I've read says not to do it.

Last edited by mrsurfboard; 03-10-2013 at 13:03..
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:35   #40
cciman

Ha Ha...where does your wisdom or logic (reading) come from. I think all of this is trickled down from somewhere, its just applying the correct logic after reading it. There are very few scientific discussions, NO double blind controlled studies.

1911 definitely advised against by majority dogma.

Glocks- no problem on an empty chamber, slam away. No injuries to the gun proven beyond the belief that it "might" happen. Think of how many Glocks exist out there and how many yahoos slamming their Glocks since 1990. Risk is too small to be worth discussion. No one has ever posted "my glock broke after I sling shot the slide".

How to load the first round-- that is a different debate not in the title of this thread. I think all will agree that riding the extractor over the case rim repeatedly increases the risk of extractor damage-- may not happen the first time or the 50th, but the harder, and more frequent , the higher the risk. Then there is "bullet setback". There is ongoing debate whether BS in a modern firearm truly is a concern or not.
Possibly more concern than actual true risk. If you are concerned with above 2 issues, one method is to load the round from the magazine gently by hand, easing the round into place and pushing the slide into battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Are you a gunsmith, or are you just spewing internet forum wisdom? Everything I've read says not to do it.