Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2013, 21:37   #1
M92

New gen 3 Glock 27. Last round ftf.

I just purchased a nib gen 3 27 from a local gun store. Not new to glocks. Owned several in 9mm (17,19,26). I fired 100 rounds of federal 165 grain target ammo. I experience 2 sporadic failure to feed on the last round. Rounds were partly chambered angled slightly up and slide didn't close. I also had one last round fail to chamber completely( slide returned to battery, round still in mag. I then fired 10 rounds of hornady tap fpd 155 gr. Last round failed to feed as well, round partly chambered and slide fail to return to battery. Any idea why? I took the gun right to the range after I paid for it, but I did break it down and added a little break free clp to the oiling points. I haven't experienced this with any of my 9mm glocks. I thought it may be limp wristing, but the failures were only on the last round, and I also fired a few one handed fine. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by M92; 03-09-2013 at 21:53.. Reason: Grammar
M92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 21:43   #2
w4dov

I'm no authority but my first thought was magazine spring? Even though you did change ammo, was it the same mag both times?

I recently bought a 27 and put 250 through it with no issues. Mixture of WWB and Magtech 165gr FMJ.

Just a thought. Look forward to what the experts have to say.
Old 03-09-2013, 21:48   #3
GRT45
Transform & Win

It could be a mag issue. The symptoms described remind me of the following two paragraphs from my notes on Glock Mag Preparation and Maintenance:
In addition, while the mag is disassembled, I strongly suggest you do a little work on the follower and the top spring coil. Although it's rare, I've detected binding of the bottom, rear edge of the follower against the mag wall when only 2-3 rounds remain in the mag. It causes a momentary hang-up of the follower and failure-to-feed malfunctions on the second-to-last round in the mag. The binding occurs even if polymer burrs at the feed lips have been shaved down. You can feel it catch momentarily when depressing the follower in an empty mag and letting it up slowly.

Use a nail file to round off and smooth the bottom, rear edge of the follower just to remove the sharp edge. Then bend up the top coil of the mag spring to a steeper pitch angle (40-45). That will help orient the rear face of the follower more parallel to the rear mag wall when only 2-3 rounds remain in the mag. Take this opportunity to carefully look again for metal and/or polymer burrs in the interior of the mag at the top two witness holes which could snag the follower. File down burrs using a needle file with a flat face.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 22:15   #4
M92

Doesn't seem to be an issue with the mags. Both mags' followers move without binding. I also didn't notice any burrs on the mags or followers. Followers are no. 9 btw.

Last edited by M92; 03-09-2013 at 22:16..
Old 03-09-2013, 22:34   #5
voyager4520
-----

Some of the .40 magazines may fail to feed particularly on the last round because of little plastic protrusions at the front of each feed lip, they may be too large and rub against the top round in the magazine as it rises, slowing it's rise and causing a failure to feed. It's unusual to see the problem in magazines that have #9 followers because they made those plastic protrusions smaller, but it's not impossible to have it happen with those magazines.

Try to track it to one specific magazine if you can, if it happens consistently with some magazines and not others then you know which ones have the problem. You can shave those plastic protrusions down as much as you need to until they feed properly, you can remove them entirely if you need to and it won't cause any problems. This picture shows one of the protrusions pretty well, there's one at the front of both feed lips. Never mind the instructions in the picture, just shave them down until the magazine feeds properly.

General Glocking

Last edited by voyager4520; 03-10-2013 at 00:43..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56   #6
Magnum Opus

Same thing happening to my new G23 Gen4 with all three-13 round mags. Like yours it only happens on the last round, and only like one third of the time.

I acquired 2-15 round mags and the weapon has been flawless using these two.

It looks like the follower is not rising fast enough or it's getting stocked on that last round.
Magnum Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:58   #7
Magnum Opus

From memory I think my followers are #9 and the tubes #2.
Magnum Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46   #8
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Opus View Post
From memory I think my followers are #9 and the tubes #2.
Does anyone know of a spreadsheet showing which # followers are supposed to go in what tube #? The 40 mag components have changed so much, over the years, I don't know what's supposed to work together.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:57   #9
M92

Ok. I racked the slide manually a couple hundred times last night and left the slide locked back for a couple hours. Went back to the range today. Put 100 rounds of pmc 180 gr., 10 rounds of 155 grain hornady tap and 20 rounds winchester pdx1 180 gr. No ftf's encountered. Hopefully it stays this way.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30   #10
AK47Man
Expert Marksman

It sounds like the gun just needs to be broke in...Shoot it as much as you can and see if you have anymore FTF's..My Gen3 G27 has been flawless since day-one..
Ruger LCP Ruger Mark III 22/45
Ruger 10/22 Stainless Henry 22Mag Frontier Octagon

Last edited by AK47Man; 03-11-2013 at 05:09..
AK47Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37   #11
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
Does anyone know of a spreadsheet showing which # followers are supposed to go in what tube #? The 40 mag components have changed so much, over the years, I don't know what's supposed to work together.
The parts order form for Certified Armorers has the list:
http://us.glock.com/customer-service...able-materials

For standard capacity .40 mags, mags that came with the first follower marked 1028 through #5 can use any of those followers up to #5. Ones that came with #6 through #8 can use any of those. #9 followers are supposed to work in mags that came with #6 through #8 but part of the #9 follower is wider and may not rise fully in the tube causing a failure of the slide to lock back. If that happens you'll see a rub mark in this area of the #9 follower and you can shave it down until it rises properly and consistently locks the slide back:

General Glocking
Old 03-11-2013, 22:56   #12
AustinTx

voyager4520

Thank you, so very much!
AustinTx
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote