Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:01   #1
mesmith&weson

firering pin wear

Ok have 650 rounds in my glock 23 gen4 no problems at all. Took out the stricker has a mark wear the fiering pin safty slids. Hear are some pics. But even using 165 gr no brass to face or jams.

Last edited by mesmith&weson; 04-17-2013 at 20:13..
mesmith&weson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23   #2
skyboss_4evr

Pics are blury when enlarged, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11   #3
lyodbraun

Nothing to worry about just put more rounds thru it.. I have well over 2000 rounds out of my G4 23, no issues..
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:45   #4
fastbolt

I can't see through the blurry, either.

According to Glock, a certain amount of peening/wear at the spot where the firing pin's shelf contacts the safety plunger is expected and normal. They call it "chatter". Glock tells armorers that this is normal, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operation (safety checks don't reveal compromised function).

If in doubt, run it by a local Glock armorer (who has likely seen his/her fair share of such things in any number of guns).

I've seen varying amounts of chatter in many guns, FWIW. Some display more than others, for whatever reasons (tolerance differences with the involved parts in different slides).
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 04-03-2013 at 13:49..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:26   #5
Made in Austria

Do you mean this area? If so, some Glock strikers show more wear, some show no wear at all, or very little wear in that paticular area. One of my G23 gen4 shows the same wear as the one in the pic. Replacing the striker with an new one won't help because the same wear mark shows up again after only about 100 rounds. It's probably normal in some Glocks. But, I would keep an eye on it. I would safety check the firing pin safety everytime you clean your Glock. The tip of the firing pin must not go through the firing pin hole/breech face. Check your Glock manual on how to safety check the firing pin safety. It explains it better than me.

If your are refering to the shiny/polished areas on the striker/firing pin, that's totally normal.

General Glocking

Last edited by Made in Austria; 04-03-2013 at 17:29..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 22:21   #6
mesmith&weson

Yup that's the spot. Glad to hear the chatter marks are normal. But I will keep wach on it. And quck qestion. I fired my glock wth no mag. And the round came out of the mag well normal. And am I the only one that shoots best with one hand. I find I hit my targer 80 percent of the time.with one hand
mesmith&weson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35   #7
Fipoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmith&weson View Post
am I the only one that shoots best with one hand. I find I hit my targer 80 percent of the time.with one hand
It's funny you say that but I do too with my G19 stock sights (front post dot painted orange with nail polish) . 20 yards I have a 4-6 inch group strong and offside two handed double taps and a 4 inch group one handed strong hand double taps and 4-6 inch group offside.

I notice this a lot while doing flashlight work holding it in the pocket of my shoulder with my nonshooting hand. This is a little weird because I've never shot so well one handed with any other gun.

Might also be because I get lazy looking at my front post while moving two handed.

Fipoj

Last edited by Fipoj; 04-04-2013 at 05:36..
Fipoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47   #8
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr View Post
Pics are blury when enlarged
Oh, they are blurry? I thought someone switched my morning coffee to decaf.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12   #9
cobalt327
WFO

Here are some photos showing wear on the striker/firing pin and FP safety on my ex-PD Gen 3 (made Feb., 2004) G22C. I presume the gun has seen considerable use during its time w/the department, and I also presume it was properly maintained during that time as well.

I have yet to fire it so the wear/damage was something that occurred previously. The gun was spotless when I received it, but who knows what may have happened prior to that.

BTW, the wear shown is all but invisible to the naked eye. It wasn't until I noticed something by feel that I used a 10X jewelers loop to see the wear. My guess is, this may be more common than some may think- and if you haven't used magnification to inspect yours, you may be in for a surprise!

BTW II, the incorrectly installed FP spring/spring cups has been corrected:

General GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral Glocking

I can see the "chattering" theory, but I have some concern about the raised/deformed metal on the FP being considered normal.

Actually, I don't see how a gun in proper time could even cause the safety and FP to collide like mine has. In any event, I plan on taking the gun to Smyrna to have the Glock armorers take a look at it, I'll post the outcome.

The FP after being cleaned up is below. I used stones and a Dremel polishing wheel- the wheel was too large to reach into the tight recesses, thus the two-tone appearance:

General Glocking
cobalt327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08   #10
Made in Austria

cobalt327, thanks for the pics! Please report back, I am very interested in what the HQ has to say about this. This wear mark is more common in the .40 models than in any other Glock model. I am a little concerned too since this is a important/critical safety feature of the Glock.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28   #11
cobalt327
WFO

One theory put forth is a (weak or) broken safety spring could have allowed the contact. I posted about this on another forum, if you'd care to take a look.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54   #12
Made in Austria

Cobalt327, did you contact Glock yet? If so what did they say? I am very interested in the outcome of this. Thanks!

Last edited by Made in Austria; 04-18-2013 at 08:55..
Old 04-18-2013, 19:24   #13
cobalt327
WFO

No. I've not been in touch w/them yet. I've been swamped and haven't even had the time to take it to the range to shoot yet.

I will post back when I make the trip to Smyrna or any other changes come up. General Glocking