SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 00:26   #1
nathanours
Texan

A Few Computer Troubles

Hello everyone, a few days ago when I started my computer my battery icon in the lower right on my task bar was only half showing up. I can see about the top 1/3 and the rest is blank. The wifi signal strength, date/time, and hidden icons arrows are fine.

I tried to run 'cmd' to open the command prompt and I get a popup box that says:

Quote:
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program, and then contact the software publisher
My system is 64 bit with 4 GB ddr3 ram running Windows 7. It's an i3 processor at 2.13 GHZ

I've never been unable to open command prompt before so I'm somewhat lost on how to run diagnostic tools. I though it may be a virus so I tried running Malware bytes and Avast scans with no luck.

I tried opening the command prompt from the registry in the local machine folder where it appears, but it just flickers open and disappears. Something must be corrupt in my system32 I'm guessing, but without being able to run cmd I'm not sure. Also, my system restore points are gone so I can't do that. I don't have the Windows 7 disc I can use to repair it either.

Does anyone know of a good tool I can download to scan and repair system32 without using cmd?

Thanks,

Nathan

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42   #2
nathanours
Texan

So I am able to open command prompt after pressing F8 during startup. When I run "sfc /scannow" it tells me that pending problems need the computer to be restarted. When I restart it is still doing the exact same thing. Do I need to run the command differently from the F8 menu than I would normally?

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59   #3
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Can you right click your drive and setup a disk check from there? Right click>properties>tools tab>error checking>check now>. HTH.
Old 03-11-2013, 16:50   #4
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
Can you right click your drive and setup a disk check from there? Right click>properties>tools tab>error checking>check now>. HTH.
When I try that it says I cannot check the disk while it is in use, and asks me if I want to schedule a disk check. When I click 'yes' nothing happens. I ran the disk consistency check after pressing F8 on startup and it came back clean. It's really odd.

Also, I found that when I navigate to the cmd.exe icon in either the Accessories folder, or the system32 folder it does different things if I try to run an elevated command prompt or a regular command promt.

When I try to run it (not as an admin) it says this is not compatible, check to see if you've got a 32 or 64 bit system, ect. When I try to run as an admin it says this file cannot be found, even though it is showing up in both places.

If I can't get this fixed I many just have to do a clean install of Windows, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

I scanned for malware again with AVG, AVAST, Malwarebytes, and a couple of the recommended online scanners and all came up with no infections so I'm at a loss as to what could have caused it as well. It wasn't after any updates or changes to the computer either.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-11-2013, 17:21   #5
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

You can maybe access system repair by pressing f8 then on the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. If you don't have that option then the install may be your only option.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:25   #6
audiomechanic

Yup. Sounds like corrupted system files to me. Especially the way you described the battery icon. That's a glitch in the graphical shell.

You mention not having a windows disc. Did your computer come with Windows 7 pre-installed? If not, is the windows installation legit (I.e. not a torrent download or a friend installed it for you from a windows copy burned to a burnable dvd or anything like that)? Not trying to point fingers, just saying installs like that often result in corrupt system files.

Back up your data, wipe, reload.

Sent from my orifice.
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24   #7
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
Yup. Sounds like corrupted system files to me. Especially the way you described the battery icon. That's a glitch in the graphical shell.

You mention not having a windows disc. Did your computer come with Windows 7 pre-installed? If not, is the windows installation legit (I.e. not a torrent download or a friend installed it for you from a windows copy burned to a burnable dvd or anything like that)? Not trying to point fingers, just saying installs like that often result in corrupt system files.

Back up your data, wipe, reload.

Sent from my orifice.
The computer came with Windows 7. Since it's an HP I can use the HP Recovery Manager to "restore your computer to its original factory condition". That would be the equivalent to re-installing Windows correct? It seems like the easiest way instead of having to go through and install every driver over again after using a Windows 7 disk.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27   #8
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
The computer came with Windows 7. Since it's an HP I can use the HP Recovery Manager to "restore your computer to its original factory condition". That would be the equivalent to re-installing Windows correct? It seems like the easiest way instead of having to go through and install every driver over again after using a Windows 7 disk.
Yes

Sent from my orifice.
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 20:58   #9
Brass

Can you install any programs? There are programs out there that will embed themselves in you system and you wont know it right away. They progressively get worse as time goes by.

If you cant install you will have to start in safe mode with network. Download Malwarebytes and run a full scan, when its done view the report and if any were found select them and remove. It may request to reboot your pc at this time, do so if it asks. Upon restart run a scan with your anti-virus, if you dont have one there are a few choices out there for decent free programs such as Avast and AVG. Anyway scan, remove and reboot if needed. If neither have found any infections than Im not sure what could have cause the issue. Either way I would now run a repair, if your not sure how go to the site of your laptop manufacturer and download the full manual or search in there database "*version of windows* repair". You should be able to find directions.

If that doesnt take care of it then a full restore would be the last resort. Thats assuming you havent deleted or messed with the restore partition on the hard drive which would also prevent you from running a system repair without a disc.

That's how I would go about it. If you havent already reloaded it :P, I hope this will help.
Old 03-13-2013, 21:53   #10
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Can you install any programs? There are programs out there that will embed themselves in you system and you wont know it right away. They progressively get worse as time goes by.

If you cant install you will have to start in safe mode with network. Download Malwarebytes and run a full scan, when its done view the report and if any were found select them and remove. It may request to reboot your pc at this time, do so if it asks. Upon restart run a scan with your anti-virus, if you dont have one there are a few choices out there for decent free programs such as Avast and AVG. Anyway scan, remove and reboot if needed. If neither have found any infections than Im not sure what could have cause the issue. Either way I would now run a repair, if your not sure how go to the site of your laptop manufacturer and download the full manual or search in there database "*version of windows* repair". You should be able to find directions.

If that doesnt take care of it then a full restore would be the last resort. Thats assuming you havent deleted or messed with the restore partition on the hard drive which would also prevent you from running a system repair without a disc.

That's how I would go about it. If you havent already reloaded it :P, I hope this will help.
Thanks but as listed above I've run full scans with Malwarebytes, Avast, AVG, and a couple of the online ones my computer tech friend recommended. I can do everything on the computer as before. I don't need safe mode to run or download programs. Literally the only things out of the norm are not being able to open command prompt, and only the top 1/3 of my battery icon not showing. I like to mess around with Android phones, so I need my command prompt to run some of the commands. I've probably done complete wipe and fresh installs 15-20 times to other computers in the past so I am familiar with the procedure. It doesn't seem (as far as I can tell) like I have any malware to deal with. It acts more like a file corruption somewhere.

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 03-13-2013 at 21:54..