Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 17:27   #61
Bring_it!

Things are improving, online. I got a email notification from Midway this morning for some .45, but by the time I logged in it was gone.
Then went to Ammunition To Go and found they had CCI alum case .45 230 gr FMJ for $22.99 box, so I ordered 10. I see it's off their site now. Yeah it's a bit high...but was available.
Lucky Gunner inventory is picking up, but prices are a bit high.

gen 2 G21, gen 3 G30SF, & others
Bring_it! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 18:24   #62
wrenrj1

Just picked up 4-boxes of 9mm Herters from Cabelas in Sidney, buddy with me bought the other three on the shelf. Scheels in LNK had about 150-200 boxes of American Eagle .223 on the shelf yesterday afternoon for $11.99/box (wow!) All gone today. Around here that was $7.99/8.99 a year ago...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30   #63
SCmasterblaster

I am going to my NH WalMart tomorrow (Mon) just to see what they have.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:17   #64
Upgrade

Starting to see signs of ammo and guns more readily available. Walked into lgs and they had 2 Glocks on the shelf; normal price, too. I'm not saying it's back, but I'm seeing some things I haven't seen the in two months.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:43   #65
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

At the whole sale level it has continued to get worse. I see no indication of improvement in sight. Probably will be worsening in the next few weeks.

Back orders are moving slowly like the posters before me noted but that really does not help much.
Old 04-03-2013, 22:59   #66
WinterWizard

Anyone who thinks it will be getting better in the next 6 months is delusional. I say Spring 2014.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30   #67
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
At the whole sale level it has continued to get worse. I see no indication of improvement in sight. Probably will be worsening in the next few weeks.

Back orders are moving slowly like the posters before me noted but that really does not help much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Anyone who thinks it will be getting better in the next 6 months is delusional. I say Spring 2014.

I agree. The "enemy" is our fellow shooters who either out of rampant panic and/or greed continue to suck the supply line dry.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:26   #68
SCmasterblaster

Impeaching the Kenyan would help.
Old 04-04-2013, 17:02   #69
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I agree. The "enemy" is our fellow shooters who either out of rampant panic and/or greed continue to suck the supply line dry.
I doubt the shooters are the real problem, more like speculators buying & reselling. Hey, gun owners should be worried. Look at all the gun & ammo restrictions/taxes/fees that are either being put into place locally but also being proposed. It's pretty scary when you say "I won't shoot because I don't want to use my ammo", exactly what some of my less than prepared friends are doing.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-04-2013 at 17:03..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 17:12   #70
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's funny how many people aren't capable of realizing that the flippers are not reducing the ammo supply.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 17:31   #71
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
It's funny how many people aren't capable of realizing that the flippers are not reducing the ammo supply.
Well they can certainly be in given areas. Not many places around here sell ammo so when a guy comes into a store & buys every round of say 9mm & 45, there is no ammo supply to buy until the next shipment. I talked to one of these flippers, he doesn't even shoot, just selling ammo as a side to making money. I think a major reason Wally & other places have a limit on what a single purchaser can buy.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 04-04-2013, 17:33   #72
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well they can certainly be in given areas. Not many places around here sell ammo so when a guy comes into a store & buys every round of say 9mm & 45, there is no ammo supply to buy until the next shipment. I talked to one of these flippers, he doesn't even shoot, just selling ammo as a side to making money. I think a major reason Wally & other places have a limit on what a single purchaser can buy.
If there is only one place to buy ammo around you, that sounds like an outstanding business opportunity. Somebody needs to step up and fill that void.

Obviously the problem here is the entire market, nationwide, not your corner of town in Southern California.

Flippers are by definition not reducing the supply of ammunition. They are simply helping it to sell closer to market/equilibrium price.

What Walmart, and other retailers, need to do is raise their prices so that the additional expenses incurred by the flippers aren't worth the time/effort/risk any more. That would solve this whole "Flippers are the problem" thing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-04-2013 at 17:35..
Old 04-04-2013, 19:59   #73
unit1069

I have no idea when the ammo shortage will end but the way the mainstream media is cheerleading blue state restrictions on the Second Amendment I fear it is going to last for some time. I have all my premium JHP self-defense ammo locked in the safe but now I'm thinking of putting all my ammo under lock and key after checking recent prices on the Internet. Thank you, AWOL Republican voters who stayed home last November.
Old 04-04-2013, 20:00   #74
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
If there is only one place to buy ammo around you, that sounds like an outstanding business opportunity. Somebody needs to step up and fill that void.

Obviously the problem here is the entire market, nationwide, not your corner of town in Southern California.

Flippers are by definition not reducing the supply of ammunition. They are simply helping it to sell closer to market/equilibrium price.

What Walmart, and other retailers, need to do is raise their prices so that the additional expenses incurred by the flippers aren't worth the time/effort/risk any more. That would solve this whole "Flippers are the problem" thing.
Limiting purchases makes sense to combat the flippers.
Old 04-04-2013, 20:06   #75
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Limiting purchases makes sense to combat the flippers.
Yeah, you're right, I can certainly shoot a weekend of Appleseed with the 60 rounds Walmart might limit me to (3 boxes).

Old 04-04-2013, 20:11   #76
rilkil23

First time since November I was able to buy any 7.62•39 but they cap you at three boxes per person per day. I'm yet to see any 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, or 380 since the rush.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:13   #77
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilkil23 View Post
First time since November I was able to buy any 7.62•39 but they cap you at three boxes per person per day. I'm yet to see any 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, or 380 since the rush.

How do they enforce the buying limit - do they rely on the cashier's memory to recall shoppers from hours before? Or do they take photos?
Old 04-04-2013, 20:46   #78
rilkil23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
How do they enforce the buying limit - do they rely on the cashier's memory to recall shoppers from hours before? Or do they take photos?
It's Sportsman's Warehouse and I would think they're too busy to really monitor people buying it more than once per day. The reality is they don't have enough stock for it to be a real problem. The young lady at the counter said the customers get really upset and storm out when they're told they max out at three boxes per SKU number.

Last edited by rilkil23; 04-04-2013 at 20:48..
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 23:40   #79
fredj338

Quote:

Besides Walmart, there are maybe 3 gunshops within an hours round trip drive. Theses guys go form shop to shop & buy everything. So by default, they are limiting the ammo supply. If you don't think this is happening, you are not paying attention. So if they are buying up say all the WWB @ Wally & marking it up on the internet 25%-50% (ever see some of the prices on GB?), how is that reaching market equilibrium??
While flippers are not the only issue, they are an issue. New gun owners are also an issue. If the 500K+ new gun owners only buy 100rds of ammo, a paultry amount, that is what, 50M rds?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00   #80
bassgunner

If the ammo flippers are buying up all the local ammunition and reselling it online, that only affects the local supply but there should still be ammo available nationally. I don't see anything but the gb and other online stuff for sale, and even that is not in much quantity. There has to be more than just the speculators causing the shortage. I find it difficult to believe that there are so many new shooters that they are also buying up all of the supply. They would likely be the ones buying the higher priced stuff either out of necessity or just not knowing any better as they are new. I am not sure what the true root cause is, but I know it sucks! and like others, I don't think that even if the supply comes back that the prices will come down. I think we have a new "normal" for ammo prices now just like gas.
21 Club #0314
bassgunner is offline   Reply With Quote