SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20   #81
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgunner View Post
If the ammo flippers are buying up all the local ammunition and reselling it online, that only affects the local supply but there should still be ammo available nationally. I don't see anything but the gb and other online stuff for sale, and even that is not in much quantity. There has to be more than just the speculators causing the shortage. I find it difficult to believe that there are so many new shooters that they are also buying up all of the supply. They would likely be the ones buying the higher priced stuff either out of necessity or just not knowing any better as they are new. I am not sure what the true root cause is, but I know it sucks! and like others, I don't think that even if the supply comes back that the prices will come down. I think we have a new "normal" for ammo prices now just like gas.
I surely hope that the gas and ammo prices drop back down significantly.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31   #82
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Besides Walmart, there are maybe 3 gunshops within an hours round trip drive. Theses guys go form shop to shop & buy everything. So by default, they are limiting the ammo supply. If you don't think this is happening, you are not paying attention. So if they are buying up say all the WWB @ Wally & marking it up on the internet 25%-50% (ever see some of the prices on GB?), how is that reaching market equilibrium??
While flippers are not the only issue, they are an issue. New gun owners are also an issue. If the 500K+ new gun owners only buy 100rds of ammo, a paultry amount, that is what, 50M rds?
Because buyers set the price with what they are willing to pay.

If the retailers charged market price to begin with, there wouldnt' be room for flippers to make their profit.

This is really simple stuff.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-05-2013 at 08:31..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26   #83
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Because buyers set the price with what they are willing to pay.

If the retailers charged market price to begin with, there wouldnt' be room for flippers to make their profit.

This is really simple stuff.
Sure, retailers could effectively control outgoing by charging more or limting purchases. SO most are choosing to limit, but many ARE charging higher costs. That still doesn't take away form the rather large amount of ammo & even primers being bought & resold by non shooters just to make a profit. You say it isn't worth it but it's one stop, buy everything, resell it on Craigs'list or GB, not much effort going on there for some easy money.
None of it affects me directly, I learned along time ago, when liberal's are in charge, expect the worst, be prepared. SInce Clinton, it's been working for me.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36   #84
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Sure, retailers could effectively control outgoing by charging more or limting purchases. SO most are choosing to limit, but many ARE charging higher costs. That still doesn't take away form the rather large amount of ammo & even primers being bought & resold by non shooters just to make a profit. You say it isn't worth it but it's one stop, buy everything, resell it on Craigs'list or GB, not much effort going on there for some easy money.
None of it affects me directly, I learned along time ago, when liberal's are in charge, expect the worst, be prepared. SInce Clinton, it's been working for me.
...because they are charging too little.

I never said it isn't worth it.

I said that if the retailers charged market price, or close, it wouldn't be worth it.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47   #85
G23c

Ammo at the last 2 WM's I stopped in recently. 45ACP, 9mm and 40. they had WWB and Tula. Not much but it was good to see.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48   #86
digilo

I can't believe the American ammo manufacturers haven't stepped up production to take advantage of the increased demand. In any other arena of interest, if demand skyrocketed for a product like it does for ammo, factories would be cranking out product like mad. Rem, Fed, Win, Speer, could all sell all the ammo they could make right now, so what is stopping up the pipeline??
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06   #87
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilo View Post
I can't believe the American ammo manufacturers haven't stepped up production to take advantage of the increased demand. In any other arena of interest, if demand skyrocketed for a product like it does for ammo, factories would be cranking out product like mad. Rem, Fed, Win, Speer, could all sell all the ammo they could make right now, so what is stopping up the pipeline??
What makes you think they aren't cranking it out like mad??

Old 04-05-2013, 12:08   #88
jrd22

As more and more states pass gun/ammo restrictions it's just going to throw gas on the fire I'm afraid. I thought I'd wait the panic out and not buy at these inflated prices, but now I'm wondering if I've missed the boat. Did a search online for .40 SW, it's available, at $.80 per round! I paid $.23 late last fall.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 13:08   #89
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilo View Post
According to people in the industry they have been running 24/7 to meet demands. They are NOT going to build more factories though, that would be a foolish decision chasing short term profits w/ long term expenses. No, not until people stop trying to get their supplies up is this going to end.
There are a lot of people that shoot 1Krds of factory ammo a month, so how much do you need in reserve? If it were me, 12K rds would be my reserve, then I need another 6K to rotate out so I am not chasing ammo monthly. This is how smart shooters do it. Smarter shooters still, they shun factory & reload.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-05-2013 at 13:10..
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10   #90
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
According to people in the industry they have been running 24/7 to meet demands. They are NOT going to build more factories though, that would be a foolish decision chasing short term profits w/ long term expenses. No, not until people stop trying to get their supplies up is this going to end.
There are a lot of people that shoot 1Krds of factory ammo a month, so how much do you need in reserve? If it were me, 12K rds would be my reserve, then I need another 6K to rotate out so I am not chasing ammo monthly. This is how smart shooters do it. Smarter shooters still, they shun factory & reload.
You got that right - I reload my range ammo. But for CCW here in NH/VT - only WW 115gr 9mm JHP +P+ will do.
Old 04-10-2013, 22:32   #91
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Got a 1000 round case of 9mm @ my sports authority for just shy of $250 after the friends and family discount. They must have had twenty cases -- don't know how I scored so well but I'm not complaining!!!
The Faux King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12   #92
cadillacguns

As ong as the Politico's keep the 2nd Amd donnybrook going, ammo shortages and prices will remain like they are now.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52   #93
triggerjerk

I don't see it letting up in my area.
At a regional sporting goods store yesterday morning there was line of people anxious to buy overpriced fmj from the ammo counter (in the back of the store), through the entire store out to the main entrance.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 16:30   #94
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
I don't see it letting up in my area.
At a regional sporting goods store yesterday morning there was line of people anxious to buy overpriced fmj from the ammo counter (in the back of the store), through the entire store out to the main entrance.
Nor in my area - even WalMart is empty around here.
Old 04-11-2013, 18:53   #95
hi-power man
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacguns View Post
As ong as the Politico's keep the 2nd Amd donnybrook going, ammo shortages and prices will remain like they are now.
I agree with this on this date. But, I think the Washington discussions will now swiftly end and turn into law. The Senate has paved the way. I'm sure the phones are now ringing in the house offices asking "what do you want in return to vote for the gun legislation".

Once the legislation passes, the real panic will begin because it's not just a threat, it's a reallity. I think the supply and retail sales situation will stay the same until late in this year. The aftermarket guys will continue to buy and resell at whatever price they can get.
Old 04-12-2013, 15:53   #96
yellolab

I am seeing signs things are getting better.
my lgs had XM193 Federal 5.56 for 10.49 box.
Not great..

Kevin
yellolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:49   #97
captcurly

I have just a bit over year of 22LR,36spl,9mm,45ACP,380,45Colt,5.56mm and 12ga. I just hope this shortage is over by the time I run out.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:59   #98
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellolab View Post
Not great..

Kevin
Consider I paid $6/20 box a year ago, I am not sure I would say better. That is still $525/K. It was less than $350 in Dec.
Old 04-12-2013, 20:45   #99
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellolab View Post
Not great..

Kevin
That's better than anything available online

Old 04-13-2013, 13:23   #100
vram74

I just left Academy Sports with my massive ammo haul. 1 box 9mm, 1 box xm193 5.56 and one 30rd Pmag. I have no intention of shooting anytime soon. Just bought the stuff cause I couldn't believe they had it.
vram74 is offline   Reply With Quote