Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54   #161
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
It was a Concord, NH gun show. Deprete Gun Show.
What I was trying to say was "I don't care, and I'm not sure anybody else does, either..." coupled with "why are you telling us this?"

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:08   #162
berfles

I found a small local shop here and they had about 20 boxes of .40 Independence (Blazer Brass) 180gr and one box of AE. Apparently it's so bad there that they only allow ONE box of the same ammo a WEEK, but the guy felt bad for me and let me get two. $26.40 per box, I used to pay that for 100rds of Federal, but this is literally the first time I've seen it in a store since before Christmas.
berfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19   #163
J_Rico

About two weeks afer people stop paying crazy prices for ammo, the panic will begin to subside.

Theodore Roosevelt
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 16:14   #164
newgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rico View Post
About two weeks afer people stop paying crazy prices for ammo, the panic will begin to subside.
Exactly. I'm still shooting at the regular pace, and I still will build a stockpile if I buy at every opportunity. I don't buy at the expensive guys. I don't blame people for being higher right now. You have to do something to keep stock on your shelves. I'm not talking about the dirt cheap website. They won't ever get a dime from me because of their gouging, even when they set their prices back to normal. I'm talking about LGS who has to raise his price and limit purchases just to keep stuff on the shelves for the regulars.

I am still only shopping at stores that have pre-scare prices. That really limits you to the walmarts, etc. However, I'm beginning to see much more stock stay on the shelves longer.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 20:36   #165
dougader

Was at the local Bi-Mart store getting some prescriptions filled after work and they had 2 cases of 12 gauge Federal ammo, 2-100 round boxes of WW white box 230 grain fmj for $62.95!!!, 4 boxes of Speer Lawman 230 grain tmj @ $21.97 and some Federal American Eagle .22 LR 50/round boxes for $1.88 each.

I bought my 2 box limit of the Speer 45 ammo and my 200 round limit of .22 LR and called it good.

What a joke on the Winchester white box ammo. Last time I bought that it was $29.95 - $34.95 per 100 rounds.

The prices on the other ammo is a bit over last years prices, but not bad.

I agree that the outrageous "panic" buying will cease when people stop paying the insane prices. I probably wouldn't have bought any ammo tonight, but I know that there are a few guys at work that will want what I picked up tonight. They can have it for the same price I paid.

The scalper prices need to stop, but it won't stop until people settle down and refuse to pay outrageous prices.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:39   #166
plp

Went to a gun show this past weekend and firearm prices are beginning to drop, as well as supply beginning to increase. The ammo dealers had plenty of volume, just still at ridiculous prices. I did find a deal on 7mm Mauser, got everything he had at 8.75 a box for 20 rounds, old Serbian ammo but it will shoot so no worries.

The deal of the show was a Ruger MK77 in .300 Winmag, left hand bolt with a Zeiss 14x32 scope for 650.00. As I'm a southpaw, again no worries, rocked the house at 350 meters the next day. I shot all 20 rounds of what I could find at the show, am embarrassed to say I paid 2 bucks a round for it.

The scope alone was worth what I paid for the whole sheebang, ammo included.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:07   #167
plp

FWIW, I fully realize I am part of the problem, and so are many of you. Where before I would be satisfied with a stockpile of 2k rounds of .22LR, today I don't consider anything under 5k acceptable. Don't ask me about rifle rounds or 9mm, fuggedaboudit.

I bought a .17HMR simply because Bass Pro still has plenty of ammo for it at 14.99 for 50 rounds, has become my range rifle of choice for the only reason I can get ammo for it. I'm looking at a .45 for my next handgun purchase for the same reason, and I have never been able to hit the broad side of a barn with ANY .45ACP handgun I've ever tried. However, there is ammo, and it goes bang, go figure.

We have met the enemy, and he are us, as a great 20th century philosopher once said.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 00:04   #168
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by plp View Post
I bought a .17HMR simply because Bass Pro still has plenty of ammo for it at 14.99 for 50 rounds, has become my range rifle of choice for the only reason I can get ammo for it.We have met the enemy, and he are us, as a great 20th century philosopher once said.
Ouch, I don't know how you guys shoot spending that much on ammo. My reloaded 45acp cost me half that. Factory ammo prices are just insane nowdays. Reloading is one asnwer but even that, you have to hunt today to get enough components to reload with. Thanks Liberal, Libertartian & empathetic Rep for all this. They are responsible in one way or another for Obama & the liberal agenda being in place.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2013 at 00:04..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11   #169
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Ouch, I don't know how you guys shoot spending that much on ammo. My reloaded 45acp cost me half that. Factory ammo prices are just insane nowdays. Reloading is one asnwer but even that, you have to hunt today to get enough components to reload with. Thanks Liberal, Libertartian & empathetic Rep for all this. They are responsible in one way or another for Obama & the liberal agenda being in place.
I blame California, personally.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24   #170
kahoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
When all this craziness started with availability of ammo and guns, I thought it would be shortlived. I'm not sure anymore. When do you think ammo will be more readily available and prices will start to come back down?
When gasoline goes back to .99 a gal.
kahoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:19   #171
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
What I was trying to say was "I don't care, and I'm not sure anybody else does, either..." coupled with "why are you telling us this?"
This thread is about the national ammo shortage. I was just giving a small demonstration that there is still some ammo out there in specific locales. Lighten up, will you?
Old 05-09-2013, 14:52   #172
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
This thread is about the national ammo shortage. I was just giving a small demonstration that there is still some ammo out there in specific locales. Lighten up, will you?
Every location has ammo at every gun show.

You just have to be willing and able to pay for it.

Old 05-09-2013, 14:54   #173
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I blame California, personally.
Why, we don't even have guns here, ammo, who needs it?
If Obama didn't win, I doubt we would be in this position today.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2013 at 14:55..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 15:12   #174
carbuncle
is not cool.

I've picked up 9mm, .22 and .40 at local shops and big box stores over the last couple of weeks: we're getting back to normal, albeit slowly.

Posted from my car phone.
Old 05-09-2013, 15:20   #175
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
.... If Obama didn't win, I doubt we would be in this position today.
I think things will slowly be getting better, until the Big 0 (and other powers that be) try to pull something else.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44   #176
vulcan71

The ammunition prices will go down as soon as supply meets demand. With the Federal and States changing policies/laws on gun control or attempting changing policies/laws the public has responded by buying up the supply. The government has also been making purchases also depleting supply. The ammunition price will adjust based on the demand and CPI. The main issue is hording by a small group of the population or people who buy more ammunition than normal. I have been lucky as I buy premium range ammunition with a group of friends (group buy) and one of my friends recently became engaged and is considering selling a firearm so he does not need the large stock pile so I have been buying his excess ammunition at the price we originally paid so I do not need to buy ammunition except for CCI Mini-Mag 22 LR 40gr CPRN which I cannot find and he won’t part with (I do not blame him) so my $10 rebate will most likely expire.

I have checked out the WTS area on various forums and have seen people selling high-capacity magazines some at MSRP and other people at double MSRP and I am sure some people were hedging their bets. I was not able to purchase a single magazine from January – April, 2013.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:07   #177
yubakram

looks like Freedom Munitions is getting rid of 1M rounds of 9MM

http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1818.htm
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10   #178
newgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubakram View Post

I just ran through the checkout on 500 rounds, and it works out to $40/100. That's about the low end of the internet rate, but it's still much higher than the Federal $23 out the door price at wally world.

The local armslist pricing is around $40, as well.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26   #179
vulcan71

WOW, I am amazed at how much ammunition can sell for these days. Freedom is selling new and reloaded 9x19 mm 115gr for $17.23 a box of 50, at least they have a decent brass trade-in program.
Old 05-10-2013, 13:41   #180
Speleothem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubakram View Post

Gone in about two hours. (I got 500.)
They have .40 and .45 right now.
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote