SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 17:55   #1
John Rambo
Raven

Is it 'okay' in your eyes...

...To have a spiritual connection with a creator(God), but not the church? To actively seek God in your life and try to live how you think it would want you to live, and actively shun your religion as the corruption of man?

I'm not simply talking about an agnostic person. I'm talking about someone who was brought up in a religion and still believes in the core ideas of it but decides the church is either wrong, crooked, or for whatever reason doesn't acknowledge any ties with them?

Wondering how your religions, but more importantly, how YOU see this with respect to both their integrity as people and what that means for their eternal soul. Do they stand any chance of making that connection with their creator? Will they be welcomed by said creator in the end, or scorned for shunning the church? You get the idea.

Ready? Be discusted.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 18:02   #2
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
...To have a spiritual connection with a creator(God), but not the church? To actively seek God in your life and try to live how you think it would want you to live, and actively shun your religion as the corruption of man?

I'm not simply talking about an agnostic person. I'm talking about someone who was brought up in a religion and still believes in the core ideas of it but decides the church is either wrong, crooked, or for whatever reason doesn't acknowledge any ties with them?

Wondering how your religions, but more importantly, how YOU see this with respect to both their integrity as people and what that means for their eternal soul. Do they stand any chance of making that connection with their creator? Will they be welcomed by said creator in the end, or scorned for shunning the church? You get the idea.

Ready? Be discusted.
Wow.

Yes.

I started off needing God in my life and Jesus was the answer. That was over 30 years ago. In that 30 years I have been through lots of changes in my faith. I have grown all the way out of Christianity, but still embrace a connection with God.

Faith changes as we grow and learn. The only thing that stops us from growing in faith is dogmatic adherence to religious doctrine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 18:02   #3
jakebrake
cracker

spiritual or religious?

there is a huge difference there.
Old 02-27-2013, 18:21   #4
oldman11

You must understand one thing. Most churches exist because there is big money in being a church.
oldman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 19:09   #5
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post

...To have a spiritual connection with a creator(God), but not the church? To actively seek God in your life and try to live how you think it would want you to live, and actively shun your religion as the corruption of man?...
Yes, it is possible.

Institutionalized religion, especially TV Christian evangelists are an insult to Christianity. The ones that mix politics and religion are the worst.

Christian churches today are nothing but social clubs, dominated by the members who tithe the most.

You don't need to belong to a church to be religious.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 19:59   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I would say church is what's wrong with many today. Not all churches for sure because there are good Holy Spirit filled churches out there, but most aren't. Many go to church to socialize, and while it's good to have fellowship with other believers, you don't have to go to church for that.

Most churches are lukewarm and spiritually dead so there would be no point in even attending. We know what God thinks of lukewarm churches. I love the Lord and try and live my life for Him while seeking His will, but I don't go to church. There are good churches out there, but attending church isn't a "requirement".

Last edited by SDGlock23; 02-27-2013 at 20:06..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 20:34   #7
Vic Hays

The Lord desires you to report to duty in His army. He has a job and a purpose for you.

He has a claim on your service, but if you choose not to serve Him someone else will.

He expects His organization which is called His body to finish the work of spreading the Gospel.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Last edited by Vic Hays; 02-28-2013 at 06:26..
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 22:53   #8
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
The Lord desires you to report to duty in His army. He has a job and a preposterous for you. Amen.

Thank you Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25   #9
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post

Thank you Vic
Thanks for the proofread. These intuitive spellcheckers can get you into real trouble can't they?

Shouldn't spirituality be about Truth and God rather than about the best feeling and the most comfortable place?

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:44   #10
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Yes, it is possible.

Institutionalized religion, especially TV Christian evangelists are an insult to Christianity. The ones that mix politics and religion are the worst.

Christian churches today are nothing but social clubs, dominated by the members who tithe the most.

You don't need to belong to a church to be religious.
We don't see eye-to-eye on much, JB. However, I agree with this post 100%.

hooligan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55   #11
hooligan74

Quote:
Thanks for the proofread. These intuitive spellcheckers can get you into real trouble can't they?
Yes, a lot of times they are more a hindrance than a help.

Quote:
Shouldn't spirituality be about Truth and God rather than about the best feeling and the most comfortable place?
Absolutely agreed, Vic.
hooligan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10   #12
NMG26

Quote:
The four go hand in hand.

Truth and God are often used in such a way that they constrict real spiritual experience.

Feeling has to do with the relationship between God and the individual. I trust feeling more then doctrine. Feeling is what helps muddle through the search for truth. Feeling or perception is what brings us the comfortable place.

If you have embraced a doctrine that does not bring a good feeling and eventually to a comfortable place, the doctrine needs reexamination.

We don't like being pushed around. We love freedom. Churches tend to force conformity that does not sit well with free thinkers.

Last edited by NMG26; 02-28-2013 at 09:10..
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08   #13
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
The four go hand in hand.

Truth and God are often used in such a way that they constrict real spiritual experience.

Feeling has to do with the relationship between God and the individual. I trust feeling more then doctrine. Feeling is what helps muddle through the search for truth. Feeling or perception is what brings us the comfortable place.

If you have embraced a doctrine that does not bring a good feeling and eventually to a comfortable place, the doctrine needs reexamination.

We don't like being pushed around. We love freedom. Churches tend to force conformity that does not sit well with free thinkers.

Some churches and some individuals in some churches force conformity and their opinion.
Protestantism is supposed to be founded on two major principles, the Bible as the standard of faith and practice and the individual right of conscience.

You are correct that feeling and perception have a place in a Christian experience. Truth logic and honesty are not feelings. After Truth logic and honesty are held as principles, then come the Peace and Comfort.

Jesus teaches that the feeling of Peace and Comfort come as part of a relationship with Him. Consider this in the following words of Jesus.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:19   #14
Roering
Sorting nuts

I'm of the opinion that the Church is a gift from Christ as an aid to keep us in the fold as well as a vehicle in which to do His works here on earth.

I'm also of the opinion that God leads towards order and not chaos.

It was the Lords prayer that we "may be one".

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33   #15
fowl intent

One can also be spiritual and not believe in the Judeo-christi-Slavic god.
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 13:28   #16
NMG26

Quote:

Jesus teaches that the feeling of Peace and Comfort come as part of a relationship with Him. Consider this in the following words of Jesus.
I found peace in Jesus many years ago and still do.

As an archetype and idea Jesus still works for me.

The failing comes with the separateness that Christian theology must lead to. Separate yourself from the world. The world is evil and God is going to end it is false and is not a healthy way to see life.

With Christianity, Islam, Judaism there will always be war and contention. It is the foundation of the book that they are founded on. Your life will follow the doctrine you embrace.

Old 02-28-2013, 14:01   #17
FCoulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Y

I see you have no clue what the word church means.
It means "called out ones"

As for tithing, it is commanded to give a tenth, if you have a problem with that you are robbing God....or so the Bible says so.
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 14:56   #18
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
I see you have no clue what the word church means.
It means "called out ones"

As for tithing, it is commanded to give a tenth, if you have a problem with that you are robbing God....or so the Bible says so.

The definition of the word "church" or it's meaning is not the subject here. It's totally irrelevant to my post. I think most readers here know what a church is.

I don't have a problem with tithing, and didn't even say that in my post.

My problem is that if my 10% tithe is greater than your 10% tithe, then I have more clout with the preacher and get to sit in the front row and have more say in church business.

Therefore the richer people who tithe the most RULE the church and get special privileges. If you don't think that's true, then just walk into any church on Sunday morning and sit in the front row. Watch how fast an usher shows you to another seat.

Do you think that's right? I thought we were all equal in the eyes of God?

Last edited by JBnTX; 02-28-2013 at 15:18..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 15:56   #19
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
As for tithing, it is commanded to give a tenth, if you have a problem with that you are robbing God....
I wouldn't think that an all-knowing all-powerful God had much need for cash.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 16:40   #20
fgutie35

Even though Jesus told Peter "You are rock and upon this rock I should build my church" Is my believe that he meant something much more than; the Catholic church is The Church. I believe that His church is comprise of those who keep a perpetual communion or relationship with Him and honor Him to the best of their abilities, and always steadfast on their faith, regardless of what denomination or religious group you decided to join. being devout to a specific religious order and going to church everyday, is useless if there is no spiritual connection between you and the Holy Trinity. On the same token, you can only grow on your faith so much if you rely solely on spirituality without a guide (bible). Of course that is what I believe; I could be wrong.