Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:57   #41
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

CanyonMan, thanks for the posts. Glad to see you appreciate what a treasure you have. You daily walk among remnant of a culture mostly gone now. Probably the closest a man can come to exploring a strange planet without leaving the earth. Your respect for the dead is good since it's unlikely a nomadic culture would have buried anything of current value with their dead. Any chance the Native Americans would want to claim some of your land, or at least perform ceremonies for their lost brethren?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51   #42
noway

Canyonman what kind of saddle do you have in dat photo. Looking at purchasing my 1st aussie saddle with no horn.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45   #43
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
CanyonMan, thanks for the posts. Glad to see you appreciate what a treasure you have. You daily walk among remnant of a culture mostly gone now. Probably the closest a man can come to exploring a strange planet without leaving the earth. Your respect for the dead is good since it's unlikely a nomadic culture would have buried anything of current value with their dead. Any chance the Native Americans would want to claim some of your land, or at least perform ceremonies for their lost brethren?

Thanks...

Yeh I got great respect for the land and the critters on it. Was raised that way. I grew up with Native Americans, and have many friends among them, from here to Oklahoma.

Man there are so man sites all over this country it would take eternity for folks to cover it all.

No one can or 'will', lay 'claim' to our land. And as for any cerimomies, like I said, there are tens of thousands of sights from here to Okla panhandle, so that's a good deal of territory. Ha.

we've never had any one approach us about anything, and honestly hope they don't. One reason I never give out exact locations on most of our ranch. There are three ranches, Two in W. Texas and one in N.W. Oklahoma. They cover a very massive amount of territory. We no longer guide or allow hunting, excet for friends. One brother still guides for lion on one of the places, other than that we have shut it all down quite some years back.

Friends come out, and we will let them hunt game and arrowheads and relics etc. But that's it. Land is precious, and very private after your sweat and blood is all over it, so these days most all land owners are rather shy about opening up their place to folks.

I feel sorry for so many old boys who want to hunt, and cannot find a place, but they need understand our position as well.

A great deal of ranches out here do lease hunts, and many still guide hunts, but your on them, then off them, and adios ! ha. And for a hefty fee BTW...

We just decided after over half a century of allowing guided hunts, (25 of those years I did a good deal of the guiding) that we had enough. My one brother who guides for the cats, enjoy's it, and is paid well for his string line in the mountains at 5,000 a pop, and that is cheap by some standards, but the other two places, we just don't allow anyone out, "for anything."

Well, I rambled some there. Sorry bout that. Ha. Saw the post and just wanted to answer right quick here.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 05-28-2013 at 09:56..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50   #44
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Canyonman what kind of saddle do you have in dat photo. Looking at purchasing my 1st aussie saddle with no horn.

Hey old buddy ! How ya been amigo?

noway, this old saddle here in the pic.....

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

As I described in a post or three above, has been around since about the 20's.. The makers mark is very worn down to almost nothing, and it appears to be a maker in Bristol, Oklahoma... Not sure.

But, your 'BUTT', don't want one like this for any long spell of riding.. It's a killer ! haha. Hard as a democrats head !

Now I prefer the more orignal look on all my tack, and I like this old saddle here in the pic because of the higher 'cantle' (swept up part of the back of the seat) and the tad bit taller Pommel (where the horn sits) and the taller horn also, and the way the "skirts" are cut. Really a "period" type saddle.

But, again, hard as nails. !! ha.

Now you can still get this "look," but in a saddle with a bit more padding, 'or not'. Some makers still make these to 'period,' and harder than a brick. My rear end has gotten to old for the real hard ones amigo ! Those did me in years ago ! ha.

noway, trust me here. If ya get up around Abilene, if your folks are still up that way, look in at some horse auctions, and tack auctions, and just pop into the feed stores. You can pick up a good sadddle for 350.00 to 800.00. A very good one for 450.00. By very good, I mean not torn up or cracked or falling apart or nothing. Just a dang good pleasure saddle. Newer ones, and by most "really good" saddle makers are going to be waaaay past what you even want to hear about !!!

I got a friend (a former bull riding champ) who has a really nice 15" saddle for sale right now for 350.00. If ya want his number, PM me and I'll hook y'all up. He's here in Tx, and the saddle is pretty dang nice for that price.

As you know, like guns, horses, or anything. You can pay up to the sky is the limit. Sometimes a thing will be worth it, sometimes not.

With saddles. Now a days, most "good makers," charge a fortune for em', especiall if your giving custom made orders to them. You can end up paying a good deal of $$$$.

For your starter saddle, and one to keep a good many years, this one my pard has would be great for ya, or one like it. Again, if not this one, check at the feed stores and horse auctions around Abiline. Man you can pick up a nice saddle, like I said, for 450.00 being usually just fine enough. (we're talking used here)

Ususally between 15" and 17" seat, will work on the average joe, and 15" being real sweet as a seat for an average sized old boy. Don't want it to small or to big.

If just pleasure riding is all your looking for, then what I have suggested will work, and also let ya still rope and do a few other things if ya get the mind to, but just a general pleasure saddle with a low cut cantle, and standard height pommel can be picked up as I described above.

I do like the high back cantle, and the taller pommel, (with some padding...haha) to stay more in "period" but man, the older 'non padded jobs' will rattle your spine loose ! haha.

Give me a PM, or a phone call, and we can get ya fixed up with a really nice saddle and make your billfold happy, I promise ya.

EDITED To say this....

Amigo beware of "new saddles," for 2/3/400.00, that look great "cause their new," and you buy it only to find out its junk-ola !
Just cause its new don't mean a thing. Stiching falls apart, built on a lousy "tree," built by a novice, bad dyes in the leather..etc etc.. a million things. That is why, "for your use,' and first one, a good used saddle as I described above would serve for years and years. I am no expert with Aussie saddles, but can give ya some help. Again, call me or PM me..

More than glad to help ya amigo. Give me a shout !

Bless ya.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CanyonMan; 05-28-2013 at 13:09..
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16   #45
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Ok boys.... We ain't sure what to do with this "NEW ONE."Found it down in the bottom of one of the canyons. There are caves there as I have shown in pics (above post).

Don't know. I call it foot rock ! ha.

See what ya think !

Found it (while not looking for anything as usual ha) mashed down in the ground. Like the deer track above, you would thing if this is a "Moccasin track," it would be imprinted and not puffed up looking, but yet, this sure does not look like a accident. I'm not sure yet what, but it looks cool ! ha.

It is a perfect size 11 wide ! haha. No 'feet comments' ! Ha.

Found this in the creek. Like glass, but the pic don't do it justice...

Well, just thought I'd toss this in...!

Buenos Tardes !

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 06-15-2013 at 12:46..
Old 06-15-2013, 12:58   #46
pipedreams

Enjoyed all the pics and comments. I see fresh deer and turkey tracks all the time but nothing in stone. Thanks for starting the thread.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03   #47
G23c

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Ok boys.... We ain't sure what to do with this "NEW ONE."Found it down in the bottom of one of the canyons. There are caves there as I have shown in pics (above post).

Don't know. I call it foot rock ! ha.

See what ya think !

Found it (while not looking for anything as usual ha) mashed down in the ground. Like the deer track above, you would thing if this is a "Moccasin track," it would be imprinted and not puffed up looking, but yet, this sure does not look like a accident. I'm not sure yet what, but it looks cool ! ha.

It is a perfect size 11 wide ! haha. No 'feet comments' ! Ha.

Found this in the creek. Like glass, but the pic don't do it justice...

Well, just thought I'd toss this in...!

Buenos Tardes !

CanyonMan
that "foot rock" is cool! maybe part of an ancient snake boot. great pics, CM, thanks again.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 15:05   #48
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Hey to all you fellas ^^^^above here, your welcome, and thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed this crazy stuff...

I don't look for the the stuff, I just see it while I'm out and about on the ranch, and something will catch my eye....

This "foot rock," I really think it's "something," just can't get a real grip on it yet. May take into San Angelo and let a historian/musem guy type dude look it over for me.

This place is 'flooded' with artifacts and history and loads of Comanche stuff every where.

Hey maybe it's from "sasquatch." Bigfoot ! Ha !

At any rate, i do believe it involed a human in some way, I am just curious as to how, what, why...

If I find out, I will let ya'll know.
As long as I keep finding cool stuff, i'll put it up here until y'all get tired of it.

Please feel free, everyone to share your own personal finds/artifacts you picked up, as well..

All welcome.

Bless ya amigo's !

CanyonMan

Old 06-17-2013, 07:35   #49
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Hey CM! As always, love the pics and stories!

Take care friend!

Nick
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14   #50
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Hey CM! As always, love the pics and stories!

Take care friend!

Nick

Thanks.... Good to hear from ya Pard.

I'll call or text ya soon...

Stay Safe !

CanyonMan

Old 06-23-2013, 20:10   #51
BIGBILL105 45
Glock 19

I'd love to check out some of those caves!
BIGBILL105 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 21:49   #52
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Some are 'FILLED" with rattlers, until spring when they all come out and go into the brush and cactus...

We have one cave on top of one of the mountains on the ranch, that we have to tie a rope on the trailer hitch bar on the truck and throw down into the huge hole and climb down on the "knots" on the big rope. "Up as well." (that latter is the hard part... Ha.

Straight down ! Just a huge hole up on top, and you drop down on to a ledge, and begin your decent.

I am getting to old for all this any more, but have had a ton of fun all my life doing this stuff...

Our longest one takes 3 hours to go through from entrance to exit, and is filled with streams, still pools of clear very deep water, (ice cold) maze's, like a mouse would run through in a science lab, 80 foot ceilings in some spots down to places you have to crawl through a space in mud and several inches of water for a long ways on your belly in a tunnel not much bigger than a semi truck steering wheel..

On and on I could go, but it is all fun. I don't do the crawling around any more. I leave that to the youngins.

We have more rattlers (according to the snake hunters each year) on our ranch, than any orher ranch in the county, so ya have to pick your time to go in the caves, especially the first 10/20 yards of the entrace.

Well, maybe we can dig up some pics somewhere to scan in when time allows..

I know we have several boxes of photo's with some where over 5,000 photo's of 'all kinds of stuff', and the inside the cave pics are all mixed in there some where, so don't hold your breath ! haha.

Thanks.

Stay safe!

CanyonMan

Old 06-23-2013, 22:45   #53
railfancwb

I heard that you western guys don't want to buy ALL the land - just that which borders yours.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27   #54
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
I heard that you western guys don't want to buy ALL the land - just that which borders yours.

That is correct, (haha).

BTW... Our family has a great deal of good hunting land in your state as well. South of Jackson, Middleton, and some other places.

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 06-24-2013 at 09:17..
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21   #55
railfancwb

My folks grew up in the Middleton/Bolivar area, and I still have relatives there.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52   #56
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
My folks grew up in the Middleton/Bolivar area, and I still have relatives there.
All my relatives on my mothers side are in the Middleton, Bolivar, and Whiteville area... Couple of Uncles own tens of thousands of acres in those areas, and a musem and theme park/resort, between Bolivar and Middleton. http://lakevondaresort.com/ Named after my Aunt.

All "MY" particular doins, are in N.W. Oklahoma, and W. Texas.

Stay Safe...

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 06-24-2013 at 16:10..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14   #57
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Found a new one !

Well these were sitting together.. Saw the rounded top of the 'round rock', looked interesting, kicked it with my spur, and dug around it with the spur, and bam, there was an old "Comanche grain grider".

Not the best I've seen, but pretty neat. And finding them together like this, all the more cool.. Cleaned it up and it looks nice enough to put in the collection.

After it rains, 'once every few years', haha. ( its sad guys, we get a few inches a year maybe), stuff will surface even more on the canyon tops.

Well, hope y'all find this interesting. Think I'll ask my wife to grind some grain, and make somethin!.... Naw !

Stay safe

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 07-05-2013 at 12:27..