SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2013, 18:57   #1
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

"Low Profile" Night Sights on G26

What are the advantages/disadvantages of installing the "low profile" night sights on a GLOCK 26? I am assuming the sight picture wouldn't change... Perhaps just a smoother pull when drawing from a holster? Anyone have any experience using both the standard (?) profile sights and the low profile sights that could offer me a comparison of the two sights in question? Links for comparison are below.

Low Profile Meprolight G26 Night Sights

Vs

Standard G26 Meprolight Night Sights

Thanks in advance for your input!
The Faux King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:07   #2
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

The low pros and the standards are the same height as far as I know, its just that the low pros go into the dovetail and come back to the rear of the slide as pictured as opposed to the standard ones sticking straight up. I suppose the sight radius is slightly longer (a whole 1/4" or whatever) but they are also a little more "snag free" I'd think with the way they are sloped on the front instead of just sticking straight up. Any 9mm/40/357 sight would work just fine, you don't need the special ones, but that happens to be what I have.

I don't have a good way of measuring the height of the sights on the slides, but here is a G19 and a G26, the 26 (on the right) has the low pros installed. They look shorter in the picture, but I don't think they actually are.
Sights, Optics and Lasers

Last edited by jdeere_man; 04-02-2013 at 19:19..
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:59   #3
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Awesome thanks for the informative post, that's exactly what I was looking for jdeere_man!!!
The Faux King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 21:58   #4
tango44

I will go with the standard, its usefull with one hand only drills!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 22:21   #5
G26S239
NRA Patron

I don't know if that is right jdeere. In October 2011 when I got a new set of Tru Dots on my 26 I did not order the low profile and the rear sight goes all the way back. I got green front yellow rear, should have just gone green green.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59   #6
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
I don't know if that is right jdeere. In October 2011 when I got a new set of Tru Dots on my 26 I did not order the low profile and the rear sight goes all the way back. I got green front yellow rear, should have just gone green green.
When you say "you got" you mean you asked a dealer to install sights on your 26 or you ordered them from a website? If dealer Did they ask what you wanted your you just said meprolight or did they ask if you want standard or lo-pro or did you otherwise specify? If a website you probably browsed night sights by model or something and it gave you the "low profile" sights by design. Meprolight doesn't actually call those sights "low profile" that is a term used on the Glockmeister sight the OP linked. Meprolight just markets them towards the subcomapct market specifically because of the "snag-free" design for CCW.

Admittedly I have not bought any in a while so things may have changed.

I think if you order meprolights for a sub-compact glock by default you would probably get the "low profile" type sight because they are advertised for the 26/27/39. The regular sights will work, but they aren't specific to the sub compact. I also see no reason why the "low profile" sights wouldn't work on a compact or full size gun either.

Last edited by jdeere_man; 04-06-2013 at 09:06..
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04   #7
Dave.1

The lowest profile night sights I've found are the Aro-Tek. They're similar to Novak low profile sights.
http://www.arotek.com/orderform.aspx

The tubes are Trigicon and they don't require a sight pusher for the rear sights. They include a driver for the front sight.

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23   #8
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I don't have any complaints about the meprolights except they eat holes in my t-shirts. but that probably happens with all of them!
Old 04-06-2013, 16:00   #9
G19ftw

I don't like the low pro style, putting a sharp edge up there on the back of the gun is going to print more for me. I had some sights like than on an M&P40c, and they printed if I wore a t-shirt.

I use normal rear sights on my Glocks.
G19ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:27   #10
SouthpawG26

While I've been critical of the quality of Truglo TFOs in the past (and they seem to have improved), their profile and shape is probably the most snag free of all the night sights.
Old 04-06-2013, 18:39   #11
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeere_man View Post
When you say "you got" you mean you asked a dealer to install sights on your 26 or you ordered them from a website? If dealer Did they ask what you wanted your you just said meprolight or did they ask if you want standard or lo-pro or did you otherwise specify? If a website you probably browsed night sights by model or something and it gave you the "low profile" sights by design.
Good point. That is not very good use of English. Anyway out of curiosity I looked it up. I paid for the sights by CC and sent the slide to Lonewolf and they installed the sights for me charging $8.00 for the return shipping and packaging. Here is the set I bought that is on my 26 http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...OD=1242&CAT=94 Any way in comparing them to the squared sets of Mepros on my Kahr MK9 and Glock 21 they are about 1/32" shorter so you are right that they are low profile. I had to eyeball them with a tape measure because the battery in my electronic calipers is out.
Old 04-06-2013, 19:27   #12
Scott30

Look at the Glockmeister pages again. They both state 6.5mm so the are the same height. Only difference is their profile.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 23:14   #13
TigerStripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
Look at the Glockmeister pages again. They both state 6.5mm so the are the same height. Only difference is their profile.
Yep, the "low profile" rear sight just has the "step down/M&P-Novak style. No functional difference between the two in terms of sighting. You can't really do a good one handed slide manipulation with the "low profile" sight though...

TS
TigerStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:53   #14
Dave.1

Most good front sights will allow you to work the slide one handed. Takes a little practice.

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote