SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:27   #41
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Kelly View Post
Get to a range that has guns for rent. Try the gen4 G21/G30 combo and the M&P45/45c combo. Pick one set if she's stuck on .45 and buy them. Both are great choices.

And while you're there, try the gen4 G19/26 combo. 9mm hurts, it hurts bad and you can carry a ton of spare ammo. Since she works in a secluded area, away from backup, when the SHTF, more is better. I don't know anyone who'd rather be shot with a 9mm than a .45, both work well.

How about an AR M4 for the patrol car?
May be a dumb question but the m&p 45c can accept the regular 45 mag correct?
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32   #42
S. Kelly

Yes, it does.
Old 04-04-2013, 13:04   #43
iflyem1

I carried the G21SF for years and would go with the Gen4 G21 now with the multiple backstraps. But I also carried a G23. She has many choices out there. These would be my two favorite.
iflyem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 14:23   #44
Sharkey

An M&P 45C as a carry with a couple full size mags would be a good set up. It is just slightly bigger than a G19 but not by much.

People complain of the trigger but mine feels fine. From box to range, I qualified with it and pulled one out. the one out was user error.

That said, I still like the idea of carrying extra mags for the Kimber you already have.
Old 04-04-2013, 14:34   #45
Jaykwish

She currently has 22 rnds on her with her 2 extra mags 7+1 in the pistol the two 7 end mags the 8 round mags we found out wont fit in the mag pouch she bought so she has a couple 8 rounders in the car. I'd feel a lot better when I'm sitting at home listening to the scanner when she's at work if I knew she had 40+ rounds on her. 22 rounds just seems like such a small amount when I carried 240 rounds on me in Iraq but those are two totally different circumstances. The peace of mind for me would be better even tho I'm just the one sitting on the couch.
Old 04-04-2013, 14:54   #46
barth
six barrels

Deanna, a GT member, is a small girl with small hands.
She loves her full size HK45 (10+1).
I've got small hands too, girl sized actually, and the gun fits me like a glove.
Very soft shooting for a 45 too.
It's big, but if it's going to be used as a duty pistol who cares?

I think If she rented one? That would be it.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by barth; 04-04-2013 at 14:55..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 14:54   #47
PattonT

Personally I think 1911's do not make great duty weapons, but since she is comfortable and found one that works I'd be inclined to keep it. Not to mention buying new holsters and mag pouches is an added cost. A BUG would fix the ammo count and the I want a new gun itch. Truthfully, 22 rounds is probably enough to be on the defense with, but going on the offense I would want more. I know a lot of cops that would prefer not to go into a offensive attack with a handgun anyway. As far as getting a BUG of the same caliber is up to her. I tried the baby Glock BUG carry and thought it was too much. I currently carry a jframe S&W because I love them but there are better BUG's. I know a guy carrying a G22 with two LCP's as buck up. I have honestly been intrigued by this idea.
Old 04-04-2013, 14:59   #48
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
She currently has 22 rnds on her with her 2 extra mags 7+1 in the pistol the two 7 end mags the 8 round mags we found out wont fit in the mag pouch she bought so she has a couple 8 rounders in the car. I'd feel a lot better when I'm sitting at home listening to the scanner when she's at work if I knew she had 40+ rounds on her. 22 rounds just seems like such a small amount when I carried 240 rounds on me in Iraq but those are two totally different circumstances. The peace of mind for me would be better even tho I'm just the one sitting on the couch.
My P30 40 Light LEM (13+1) was designed as a LE duty gun.
On a belt? Why not go for a long slide?
Same batman ergo grips as the HK45 except smaller.
Triple side and back grip panels for a perfect fit.
The P30 mags work in P2000 & P2000SK guns as backup too.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by barth; 04-04-2013 at 15:02..
Old 04-04-2013, 16:36   #49
ADK_40GLKr

Get a G37. Same frame as a 17 or 22, but with .45 ballistics. She can even get the interchangeable backstraps with the 37, which is out in gen 4. I personally like the G38, but they haven't started making them in gen 4 yet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 04-04-2013 at 16:38..
ADK_40GLKr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:43   #50
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
She isn't going to be using a pistol to kill a deer hit by a car, ...
Never say never... a good pistol round transecting the brain is sufficient.
Old 04-04-2013, 17:38   #51
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
Never say never... a good pistol round transecting the brain is sufficient.
She has used her 1911 to off a deer hit by a car. So yes it does happen haha I have also used my sr40 to finish off a deer I hit that wasn't dead yet.
Old 04-04-2013, 17:52   #52
intenseneal

Quote:
So my girlfriend is a police officer and currently carries a kimber 1911 as her duty weapon. She has small hands and due to this chose the 1911 because of the thinner profile grip. She wants a higher cap handgun preferably a glock and we have been looking for one that will fit her and hold up to the conditions she works in. She has came down to the g30 or the g20sf and can't decide. I know everyone is going to say whatever she can shoot better and that is going to be the deciding factor I just want opinions on the 10mm for law enforcement. She shoots the 1911 .45 well I'm sure will have no problems with the g30. The 10mm on the other hand has a higher cap but greater recoil, muzzle blast etc. Any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.
Yeah I would want a larger cap gun as well and a more reliable gun then a 1911 not to mention the weight difference. I would look into the G30SF, G30S or a Gen 4 G21 or G22. If her department will let her carry a pistol in 10mm (which many departments want their officers to all carry the same caliber pistol) then a Gen 3 G20SF or a Gen 4 G20. Kepp in mind that the Gen 4 with no back strap is a smaller grip them even the SF frames. Then there is always one the most common LE pistols calibers .40SW, either a Gen 4 G22 or G23. All IMO would be great choices

Last edited by intenseneal; 04-04-2013 at 17:54..
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 18:46   #53
bilkay

G21 & G30 are very soft shooters. The G21 would be my pick. Gen4.
bilkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 19:32   #54
judgecrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Have her try the Smith and Wesson M&P 45 I did not think I would like it I have huge hands and it fits well my wife loves it with the small backstrap. It is more comfortable to shoot than a Glock 21.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
She just need to try them. I have smaller hands and I have 1911s, M&P45 and Gen 3 G21sf. I find the perceived recoil less with the G21sf and shoot it the best. It is just something each has to try as you can't generalize as to what she will experience. All three are winners.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 21:44   #55
sourdough44

Glock 23 would be a fine choice.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31   #56
RedTape

If she likes the 1911 why not just pick up a Safariland 227 mag holder?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=277

She can carry four 8 round mags on her belt and the holder takes up the same amount of space as carrying two double stack Glock mags. She'd be keeping the .45 and a gun she's familiar with and she'd have plenty of ammo on her person. The .45 and 10mm Glocks are blocky...I can't imagine someone with small hands liking them.
Heckler & Koch Club Member #26

"What about learning to use a gun?"
"Oh, Johnny didn't believe in guns, he always thought..."
"Well Johnny's dead, think about that."
RedTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43   #57
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
So my girlfriend is a police officer and currently carries a kimber 1911 as her duty weapon. She has small hands and due to this chose the 1911 because of the thinner profile grip. She wants a higher cap handgun preferably a glock and we have been looking for one that will fit her and hold up to the conditions she works in. She has came down to the g30 or the g20sf and can't decide. I know everyone is going to say whatever she can shoot better and that is going to be the deciding factor I just want opinions on the 10mm for law enforcement. She shoots the 1911 .45 well I'm sure will have no problems with the g30. The 10mm on the other hand has a higher cap but greater recoil, muzzle blast etc. Any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.
What's approved at her agency? I know we aren't allowed to carry 10mm or .357 sig on duty or off. The 30/21 has the biggest grip Glock offers, thought she wanted a smaller grip? Any other Glock besides .45/10mm will have the same, smaller grip. For duty, the 17 is hard to beat.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54   #58
barth
six barrels

Hk p2000 40 lem

I've go to throw in my HK P2000 40 LEM.
12+1 plus it can run 13+1 P30 mags.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by barth; 04-05-2013 at 09:57..
Old 04-05-2013, 11:07   #59
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I have carried in 1911 in a law enforcement capacity for many years I continue to carry one as my primary off duty.

For most people the 1911 is not a very good duty weapon the ability to perform the required routine maintenance and cleaning is beyond the grasp of some shooters.

I am NOT saying your girlfriend falls into this category I'm saying it's not as forgiving with lack of maintenance as other types of weapons. I don't base this on reading things I base it on my 30 plus years as a cop and 27 of that being a firearms instructor. For an avid shooter a well put together 1911 is a great tool however it does not work for everyone.

My best horror story is a South Florida cop who had a magazine rusted into his weapon that's correct his beloved Gold Cup had not come out of the holster in 2 qualification cycles and his blued magazine rusted into the mag well. He was able to fire 8 shots and then not reload..

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 04-05-2013 at 11:08..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47   #60
Jaykwish

She is allowed to carry pretty much anything but a revolver, her chief carries a sig .357 and some others .40's and a person who carries a 9mm it's a very small dept.. On the maintenance aspect of the 1911 we both are religious about our guns she'll field strip hers every week and check everything and make sure it's lubed and clean, and every couple of days in the winter when she's out in the snow and it gets wet.

Tags
10mm, duty weapon, g20sf, g30