Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:22   #1
Bill Bloggins

Lone Wolf Barrel and Lead- SUCCESS!

I had problems with the .40 cal Lone Wolf barrel I picked up to shoot lead reloads in my G-22. Like so many before me I thought the barrel switch out would be plug and play- damnably not so with the very first round FTFeed in the oh so tight chamber of the Lone Wolf barrel.
I soon found volumes of information from the Glock community on this very issue- even though Lone Wolf touts ability of their product to handle lead they gloss over the issues many will find with typical range pick up brass with the slightly oversize lead bullet used for the common reloaded round. This results in a little larger than factory diameter that chokes in the Lone Wolf Chamber but is no problem at all in the stock Glock barrel. And as a side note I was full length resizing all my brass to get back to original case diameter to remove any Glock bulge, still a no go in the Lone Wolf barrel.

But, blessedly, the Glock community had fixes in place, and better fixes than shipping back some dummy rounds along with your newly acquired barrel to LW to open up the chamber for additional money. This path was not going to happen as damned if I was going to give these guys any more money to fix a problem they induced.
Going to school on previous posts, some of them right here on Glock Talk, my solution was as follows: 600 grit sandpaper, 3/8" wooden dowel, an electric drill, 10 minutes of carefully working the sand paper in and out of the chamber at low speed, intersperesed periodically with dropping a loaded lead reloaded round in the chamber to check progress. When I got the 'kerplunk' I knew my task was complete. I finished things off with some 0000 steel wool to polish.
Off to the range with the reworked LW barrel, my G-22 now ate those lead reloads and barked its approval without any complaints. My fix cost less than $10. Now all I have to do is get rid of that unsightly Lone Wolf logo...
Bill Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 13:54   #2
Marcus99

I bought a Remsport G22 barrel (apparently they contracted work for LW) for the same purpose you did; I reload using lead in .40. It would fail to feed almost every round with the slide slightly out of battery. So I returned it not wanting to fool with it nor compromise the reliability of my 100% reliable G22, even for purely range use.

One day I came across a used Storm Lake G22 barrel for $100 at my LGS; I talked them down to $75. I have only put 75rds through it but it has been flawless. I don't know if any fitting was done by the previous owner (doesn't appear so), but I would recommend that if you don't want to deal with the LW problems, buy a Storm Lake.

BTW, I have a LW G22 40 to 9mm threaded conversion barrel that so far has been flawless with my lead reloads.
Marcus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 15:59   #3
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
If you use reloaded ammo in any Glock and or Barrel combo, you need to Chamber Check the round to insure it got sized properly and will function in the gun. I reload 40 for my G-35 and 9MM for my Twin G-19's. No round goes into any of these guns unless it passes a Chamber Check. Mine are from Dillon and not the barrel in the guns, but that can be used if you do not have a Chamber Check device. Cheap insurance to insure that things will chamber when you need it. I also Chamber Check every Social Round I carry.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:02   #4
judgecrater

I question whether the chamber was too small or the reloads were just out of spec? Did you measure the ammo to see if they were within SAAMI spec? I reload lead for my two LW barrels and find no problems. As one mentioned a chamber gauge could be used to find out who was out of spec.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:31   #5
Bill Bloggins

Judgecrater: it is not a question of the chamber being too small, I am sure LW meets SAAMI. But for range pick up and lead bullets (which are a little oversize) issues can arise, which I experienced first hand (and as so many before me have also experienced). As you no doubt saw in my post I full length resized and of course I used my EGW case gage to verify the glock bulge was taken out of the cases. And as a matter of fact the reloads that failed to feed in the LW kerplunked like a mofo in the Glock barrel. The problem arises when you insert an oversize lead bullet and the round ends up being just a little large as compared to the stock Glock barrel- and I am not going to crimp the living bejesus out of the round and sacrifice potential accuracy. The gist of my post was a work around for lead bullet reloads in a LW barrel and what I did to rectify a smaller than expected (and advertised) barrel. Why I get the second guessing on my methodology escapes me- why not give me the benefit of actually knowing what I am doing as opposed to picking at imagined shortcomings?
Bill Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:35   #6
judgecrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bloggins View Post
Judgecrater: it is not a question of the chamber being too small, I am sure LW meets SAAMI. But for range pick up and lead bullets (which are a little oversize) issues can arise, which I experienced first hand (and as so many before me have also experienced). As you no doubt saw in my post I full length resized and of course I used my EGW case gage to verify the glock bulge was taken out of the cases. And as a matter of fact the reloads that failed to feed in the LW kerplunked like a mofo in the Glock barrel. The problem arises when you insert an oversize lead bullet and the round ends up being just a little large as compared to the stock Glock barrel- and I am not going to crimp the living bejesus out of the round and sacrifice potential accuracy. The gist of my post was a work around for lead bullet reloads in a LW barrel and what I did to rectify a smaller than expected (and advertised) barrel. Why I get the second guessing on my methodology escapes me- why not give me the benefit of actually knowing what I am doing as opposed to picking at imagined shortcomings?
Just wanted clarify the situation, which you have now done. If using the oversized lead and it will fit in the case gauge, clearly the problem is not your reloads, it is the chamber. I agree, excessive crimping is a mistake. Just asking for a clarification. I am here to learn too.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08   #7
F106 Fan

If you read the SAAMI standard, you will note that there is 0.001" clearance between a minimum chamber and a maximum cartridge. With a jacketed bullet!

By design, lead bullets are 0.001" larger in diameter than jacketed. There goes the clearance!

My Glock barrel handles my lead reloads just fine but I decided to use a KKM barrel instead. Both barrels for my G21SF will feed 200 gr LSWC bullets perfectly.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 04-06-2013 at 12:09..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:25   #8
judgecrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
If you read the SAAMI standard, you will note that there is 0.001" clearance between a minimum chamber and a maximum cartridge. With a jacketed bullet!

By design, lead bullets are 0.001" larger in diameter than jacketed. There goes the clearance!

My Glock barrel handles my lead reloads just fine but I decided to use a KKM barrel instead. Both barrels for my G21SF will feed 200 gr LSWC bullets perfectly.

Richard
We have similar results. My Glock barrels also handles my lead reloads just fine but I too now use a KKM in my G17 and LWD in my G21sf. Feeding of 200 gr LSWC work most reliably.