SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59   #1
Jeeps
As You Wish...

There's always a first time....

So I bought a 19C....first compensated gun I have ever had.

So now, let me ask a question...is a compensated gun ok to carry? Or would it be strictly a range gun?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Who? Me?
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05   #2
GRT45
Transform & Win

Mas Ayoob: "Unless you use a particularly "flashy" load, there won't be that much difference in night shooting. However, firing from a close retention position can be dangerous with a compensated gun as it will blast hot gases and unburnt powder debris up toward your eyes."

Ref: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1420406

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12   #3
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

We have a 22C and 23C, which we've shot extensively. In my experience, the C models can tend to limp wrisitng issues more so than non C models. We've taken a few first time shooters shooting with the C models and have seen jams until they've gotten more familiar with shooting. The wife and I shoot them without issue.

Another thing with the C models, they will loose velocity (60 to 70 fps), if that is a concern to you. On the flip side, there is noticeably less felt recoil with the C.

One thing that some claim is flash in low light situation. I have shot both in low light and virtually no light and can say that, with premium ammo, the flash is negligible.

As with any gun / any brand / any model, you'll want to shoot enough rounds through it to trust it. If it works, I'd have no issue with it. I did carry the 23C for a short period (stopped because I don't like that size frame). I do carry the 22C, but picked up a factory 22 barrel for cheap, so I use that. That would be another option for you, pick up a standard 19 barrel.

Congrats on your purchase.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13   #4
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
Mas Ayoob: "Unless you use a particularly "flashy" load, there won't be that much difference in night shooting. However, firing from a close retention position can be dangerous with a compensated gun as it will blast hot gases and unburnt powder debris up toward your eyes."

Ref: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1420406
Actually, good point about the hot gasses. If you like the gun, might be worth looking into a no ported barrel. A factory barrel should drop right in.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19   #5
yogiboobooranger

Carry it. But know that most persons who carry for personal protection will primarily carry a non compensated gun. Save the compensated weapons for range and competition use. They have many theories about compensated weapons used in close quarter combat situations, and most generally will not carry a compensated weapon. Me personally, my chosen carry guns will not be compensated. You have to make the choice.
yogiboobooranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19   #6
dusty_dragon

i also wouldn't choose a compensated gun for CC/SD/HD-use, cause of the blast of hot gases and unburnt powder debris up toward eyes/face etc.

for me non-comp. is a MUST for a CC/SD/HD-gun, comp.-guns are, in my opinion, stricktly for range-use (and there also only with eye-protection, which should be worn anyway)

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 04-05-2013 at 09:21..
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11   #7
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Enjoy your gun. Use your gun. Anyone who tells you it's unsuitable for carry is either ill informed or making it up out of whole cloth.

Using any commercially available ammo, zero concern during night fire, firing from retention, etc. No more of a concern than a non ported glock. I carry a 23C on and off duty, it does just fine from CAR or retention positions, and isn't visually discernable by the shooter at night from a non ported glock. The only downside is that after 50 or so rounds, you start to get a darkening of the front sight. Not obscured, just dimmer. That said, most shooters don't shoot at a level where they'd benefit from a ported model- even more so in 9mm. To help folks who had been told stories but had no direct knowledge, I posted a while back about a side-by-side comparison we did at Glock's range, between gen 3, gen 3 c, and gen 4 guns (the gen 4 was included because some asserted that the new RSA equallled/negated the need for C models), to include firing from deep retention and in darkness, using cardboard to determine where and how far from the gun paper was affected by anything escaping the porting.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-05-2013 at 10:18..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26   #8
Jeeps
As You Wish...

Ok...some good info here guys, thanks! This isn't my first rodeo...I've been carrying for years.

The comp gun...well, to be truthful, just caught my eye in the case. I have never had one, and traded in a couple of old klunkers on it. I have a Glock now, a 30SF, in the stable and have carried 19s before. So this is a whole new adventure!

A few things to consider here in this thread...and I will take all of this info into consideration. My biggest issue was the "flash" that appears out of this thing like a friggin' dragon...but is that flash internet speak for "holy cow!"?

Who? Me?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51   #9
ca survivor

It might be worth looking into a non ported barrel and use the ported for the range, a factory barrel should drop right in, or even get a good brand like a KKM they run $160.00 to $180.00. but but the key is to try it until you feel comfortable with any combination you use, good luck.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17   #10
Jeeps
As You Wish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
It might be worth looking into a non ported barrel and use the ported for the range, a factory barrel should drop right in, or even get a good brand like a KKM they run $160.00 to $180.00. but but the key is to try it until you feel comfortable with any combination you use, good luck.
Roger that!

Who? Me?
Old 04-06-2013, 16:27   #11
crash_gsxr750
Arrows first

Just buy yourself a non comp barrel and you have both and can decide if its an almond joy day or mounds
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15   #12
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

No reason to get a non-ported barrel unless you've already got a c model and would just rather have a non-ported gun, or if you plan to compete in a class where they're not allowed. If you're more worried about internet rumor than real world function, or if you just don't think you'll enjoy or benefit from the porting, get a standard model. It's about what you're comfortable with. I'm not a proponent of C models for the masses. As I pointed out previously, most won't feel a difference (though they still look nice). I just have an aversion to incorrect information being passed about factory ported models, their safety, and their function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
Ok...some good info here guys, thanks! This isn't my first rodeo...I've been carrying for years.

The comp gun...well, to be truthful, just caught my eye in the case. I have never had one, and traded in a couple of old klunkers on it. I have a Glock now, a 30SF, in the stable and have carried 19s before. So this is a whole new adventure!

A few things to consider here in this thread...and I will take all of this info into consideration. My biggest issue was the "flash" that appears out of this thing like a friggin' dragon...but is that flash internet speak for "holy cow!"?

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-07-2013 at 06:24..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote