Mr KV

I wonder how many other times this will be posted
Mr KV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19   #3
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr KV View Post
I wonder how many other times this will be posted
Mr KV, you and others are new around here. Let me explain why you'll see a topic in more than one forum...

The way it works on Glock Talk is we often have several forums where the same topic may be of interest, but sometimes the take on the issue, the opinions of members in these different forums are that, different.

This topic may show up in Political Issues because it happened due to the oppressive political climate in Mayor Bloomberg's NYC.

It might show up in the Civil Liberties Issues forum. It is definitely a story of violation of Rights.

It might show up in the Gun Control forum, because, duh, it is about gun control.

So, it might be posted 3 more times, sir. You are invited and welcome to participate in all.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 04-02-2013 at 12:47..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03   #4
Lord

Does he not also have the right to wonder the number of posts this will go through?
the tone of your response, Russ, seems to represent as no... but your post says yes... sort of.

To the OP, it doesn't matter how many times. You're free to express your opinion and comment that you've seen it before... but please remember: because you've seen it a dozen times, doesn't mean everyone else has. Today was my first time.

Everyone... tolerance.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40   #5
ScottieG59

This is also the first I heard of this case.

I really wish gun owners would check laws before traveling. Still, many people never read or watch the news. They do not know of these legal snarls until after they are arrested. We have many incredibly stupid laws throughout the United States. Many laws make it impossible for prosecutors to use reason or take circumstances into account.

I simply avoid New York and New Jersey. Violent crime is out of control there and the average person is helpless. Only the rich and connected may be armed and protected. Even if I were armed legally in New York or New Jersey, I would not be safe. I would need a security detail familiar with the region.

These political leaders have created a legal system that considers honest people without criminal intent the same as drug gangs and serial killers. These laws are a cancer on the body of our nation.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10   #6
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post

I really wish gun owners would check laws before traveling. Still, many people never read or watch the news. They do not know of these legal snarls until after they are arrested. We have many incredibly stupid laws throughout the United States. Many laws make it impossible for prosecutors to use reason or take circumstances into account.

I simply avoid New York and New Jersey. Violent crime is out of control there and the average person is helpless. Only the rich and connected may be armed and protected. Even if I were armed legally in New York or New Jersey, I would not be safe. I would need a security detail familiar with the region.

These political leaders have created a legal system that considers honest people without criminal intent the same as drug gangs and serial killers. These laws are a cancer on the body of our nation.
This from the article...
Quote:
Quote:
Helen Peterson, spokesperson for the Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown, told Inforum too that those unfamiliar with the laws causes issues several times a year.

Unless you have a New York City license to carry, leave your gun at home,” Peterson advised travelers, according to Inforum.
That's the problem. If you're from out of town, you're screwed...and at the mercy of NYC's criminals.

The other issue is relying on airlines for in formation.

There is a sticky here in Carry Issues that could be helpful, and is definitely the place to ask to prevent having problems: Mac's Guide to Flying with a Firearm:

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 04-02-2013 at 11:34..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35   #7
jfost11

Welcome to New York, where the U.S. Constitution does not apply. Have a nice trip!
jfost11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59   #8
dosei

The definitive guide to flying out of NYC with a firearm:

Do Not Even Bother Trying...
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:47   #9
SCmasterblaster

Tha's right

Don't even try carrying a gun through NYC.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03   #10
swinokur

The issue is she made NYC her destination. So she had no FOPA protection and technically without a permit she was breaking NYC law. If she had been passing through NYC she would have at least had an affirmative defense with FOPA.

Lesson: know the law where you're going.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01   #11
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post

How far should the woman have been expected to go in determining that she was in compliance with the law? She contacted the airline and they advised her on how to proceed. Delta knew her destination and should have given her a heads up IMO. Many people don't have the ability or knowledge of how to properly research the issue.

I agree wholeheartedly about avoiding NY. I am not worried about the violent crime however. My concerns are with NY itself. NY is effectively disarming the good, law abiding folks and the criminals run wild with weapons.
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24   #12
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
How far should the woman have been expected to go in determining that she was in compliance with the law?
How about some common sense? It's NYC. If you don't know that guns are illegal in NYC beforehand & you bring a gun into NYC you deserve everything you get IMHO.
How dumb is this person? These are people we don't want carrying guns around. People that are too stupid. How do you NOT know NY is off limits to guns with ALL that has been happening there the last 3 months?

Last edited by fuzzy03cls; 04-03-2013 at 08:24..
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04   #13
the critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfost11 View Post
Welcome to New York, where the U.S. Constitution does not apply. Have a nice trip!
Yep! #1. reason why I will not travel to or through new york.
the critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26   #14
tenforme

I have a different perspective on this. First let me clarify a key point - I am not defending NY's gun laws. However it is for the people of NY to determine their own gun laws and live with the consequences.

That said, she was visiting NY and clearly did not have a CCW for NY. So why would she take her gun with her in the first place?

It could never be useful for protection. She had no place of residence in NY and no NY gun permit. In which case, the gun would need to be locked and unloaded within the meaning of NY law.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37   #15
J_P

You won't fine me going to any state that doesn't honor my chl unless it is a must. Just MHO

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
J_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:58   #16
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the critter View Post
Yep! #1. reason why I will not travel to or through new york.
Agreed!!
Old 04-04-2013, 00:40   #17
COLDSTEEL165

I am ashamed to say that I live in NYS.? It's BS like this.? from these Liberal Politicians,? that keep getting voted into office by the people that don't know Jack about the 2nd Amend
COLDSTEEL165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDSTEEL165 View Post
I am ashamed to say that I live in NYS.? It's BS like this.? from these Liberal Politicians,? that keep getting voted into office by the people that don't know Jack about the 2nd Amend
You got that right!
Old 04-06-2013, 17:52   #19
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

The rules:

1. Don't go to New York.

2. Don't bring a gun to New York.

3. Don't go to New York.

I now have a list of states that I will never step foot in (nor patronize their businesses if possible)... NY, CA, IL, MD, NJ
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:57   #20
bilkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
I now have a list of states that I will never step foot in (nor patronize their businesses if possible)... NY, CA, IL, MD, NJ
You should probably add CT and CO.
bilkay is offline   Reply With Quote