Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 21:22   #1
ARP

Shooting on the move

How many of you shooters get to practice shooting on the move at your practice range? The range I go to does not have a range officer, no regs for what you can't do, other than follow firearm safety basics.

Have watched a few run and gun videos, some police training videos where they carefully walk towards the target while firing. I'm going to incorporate some of these exercises into my range time, just to make things a bit more realistic. I'm getting a bit bored with the draw stand fire until empty holster your weapon practice. This type of practice will most likely done with the defensive and tactical weapons.

Can someone point me in a direction for more video examples? Gonna youtube search here in a minute.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35   #2
SouthpawG26

For a defensive shooter I question the need to master moving forward (advancing on the target) while shooting.

I'd concentrate on retreating to cover, while shooting. Moving backward while shooting is also easier, because you automatically roll your heel and make smaller steps.

Regardless of which direction you move, the keys are:
-keep the movement in the lower body, keep the torso upright like a tank turret;
-small steps and roll your feet as they impact and leave the ground, minimizing up and down movement and bounce of the torso;
-do not time you shots with your steps. In fact, try not to think consciously about the steps.
-drop 2-4" through your knees, but keep the torso upright, to optimize shock absorption. The key is to minimize the bounce of every foot impact on the sight picture.

The best resource is searching "shoot on the move" on the Brian Enos forum.

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 04-22-2013 at 04:37..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04   #3
ARP

My thinking is

Getting more comfortable with moving and shooting, either offensive or defensive. I'm feeling fairly lucky to have a range that I can do what I please as long as it's empty (mornings mid week) Additionally, this practice will be done with .22lr (Sig 522 rifle and/or GSG 1911) but will also later incorporate my 9mm and .38spl into the mix.

As for the actual movement, was thinking that keeping the upper body as quiet as possible and trained on target while moving and short quiet steps was the way I would practice and if I need to move quickly to my next position, muzzle control and move and re engage the target when I get to the next point.

Thanks for the heads up on Brian Enos, will research.
Old 04-22-2013, 13:45   #4
VinnieD

I like to incorporate some of this into every range session. lateral movement can be the trickiest, but it's worthwhile to practice. It's not only a good way to move between cover, but it'll make it a little harder for you to be hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:51   #5
ARP

Additionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieD View Post
I like to incorporate some of this into every range session. lateral movement can be the trickiest, but it's worthwhile to practice. It's not only a good way to move between cover, but it'll make it a little harder for you to be hit.
gaining the confidence to move, stop acquire the target and shoot, repeat, forward and backward side to side. Just developing that set of proficiency skills.
Old 04-22-2013, 18:51   #6
Harley6133

Shoot, Move, Communicate
Harley6133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 19:04   #7
davsco

definitely do some idpa and uspsa matches. lots of shooting on the move, moving targets, no-shoot targets and other challenges and shooting positions you won't get on a static range. a little stress, also, when that buzzer goes off.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 19:25   #8
cmr287

Shooting on the move....

As far as shooting on the move, you need to get somewhere you can move forward and back and side to side. If you are close to Harris County GA, PM me and I can give you instruction on my range. I have steel and IPSC targets. I also have a few barriers to practice shooting from. All I'd ask is you leave the brass....and 50.00 for the period of instruction. If I hoste a class its 150.00 per.
Further more, ACTIVE SHOOTER OR NOT, once you make contact you need to close within and destroy the enemy/ reduce the threat at all cost. If you have doubt you can't then don't try.....

I can set this up in any configuration needed...

Tactics and Training

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Military armors course-1996,Battalion master trainer CQB/ CQC 2nd BDE 10 MTN DIV (LI). Small Arms marksmanship Instructor, 2006-2007,Colt Armorer's Course, 2010, Army Marksmanship Units CQM course/ SDM course-2012, Glock Armorer's Course 2013

Last edited by cmr287; 04-22-2013 at 20:06..
cmr287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 20:48   #9
Knellysford
CLM Number 21
CLM # 21

Movement is good. Rather than straight line ( to N or S ) or side to side ( E or W ) move on the diagonals like NE , SW, NW and SE. Makes for a slightly more difficult target.
Knellysford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18   #10
cmr287

^^^^^^ You are absolutely correct... I look at it as not being in combat overseas, However in today's terror dynamic you must be prepared at home and when your out and about... Shooting under and through and over things is something I notice people dont generally practice. ^^^^^^
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10   #11
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
For a defensive shooter I question the need to master moving forward (advancing on the target) while shooting.

I'd concentrate on retreating to cover, while shooting.
What if the only cover is front of you. Say your car hood with tangos on the other side shooting at you. You have to advance to the car for cover.

Kinda IDPAish set up I know but it popped in my head easy.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20   #12
cmr287

Sir, you question is very valid... You need to learn how to shoot under vehicles. When i get home ill post a pic of a barrier that allows you to do just that. All you have to do is get in an alt firing pos and become proficent....

In this instance yoir looking for a foot shot of up close for a few minutes of incompassitation until you can close within and reduce your threat! :D

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Military armors course-1996,Battalion master trainer CQB/ CQC 2nd BDE 10 MTN DIV (LI). Small Arms marksmanship Instructor, 2006-2007,Colt Armorer's Course, 2010, Army Marksmanship Units CQM course/ SDM course-2012, Glock Armorer's Course 2013

Last edited by cmr287; 04-23-2013 at 06:22..
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48   #13
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Practice moving in every direction, sometimes rushing the attacker is the best option; for example, at close range on a beach where there is no cover for hundreds of yards. The best defense might be a good offense.

Think about your motivation for wanting to move; it's to avoid getting shot, stabbed, injured, killed. Keeping the upper torso rigid may improve marksmanship, but ducking may save your life.

Running backwards means either slowly watching your step, or tripping and falling down. Watch Roger's toes, and left hand in following video.
Learn to run a few steps in every direction, and to transition your gun (handgun or rifle) from one side to the other, to enable you to shoot good enough no matter which way your cover is.
Hardest for a right handed pistol shooter would be to his right, especially to his right-rear such as to 5 o'clock:

Sometimes movement must be vertical:

Caution, loud "music":

Roger Phillips (aka Sweatnbullets) teaches near Las Vegas, has 3 dvds and one book to his credit on his topic of Point Shooting Progressions. Train with him if you can.

You can also practice much of this at home with a blue gun that fits your carry holster, try scenario drills in crowded rooms, around vehicles, common places different from target ranges.
Adding movement to dry firing can build smoothness and then speed. Airsoft and rimfire practice can also be useful for getting off the X while getting some hits on the target.

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 04-23-2013 at 06:54..
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08   #14
ARP

The range that is second closest

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
definitely do some idpa and uspsa matches. lots of shooting on the move, moving targets, no-shoot targets and other challenges and shooting positions you won't get on a static range. a little stress, also, when that buzzer goes off.
to my house does IDPA, I checked the website for rules. I would have to probably buy different weapon than what I have to compete, I'm a long ways away from being in competition.

Up till recently, my range time has been draw/ point/ shoot. At this point I'm not confident enough to conceal carry. I've had my permit for about a year now. I need practice to build the handling confidence that goes along with the responsibility of conceal carry. Don't want to be "one of those guys".

But I greatly appreciate all the replies that are coming from the forum, giving me plenty to think about.

Last edited by ARP; 04-23-2013 at 10:13..