Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2013, 19:02   #1
donovansn585

Glock bulge

I have a brand new glock 23 I have put about two hundred rounds thru.I started sizing the brass today to reload it and read some info about a head bulge in the brass, however my once fired brass does not seem to have any bulge in it, is my gun just abnormal or what any advice would be great thanks Sean
donovansn585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:11   #2
Firecop203

The Glock bulge you're referring to is caused by unsupported chambers. You didn't mention what generation or the age of the gun.

Unsupported chambers were pretty common in earlier Glocks.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:14   #3
Scott30

The unsupported chamber issue was fixed many years ago. The big blowouts and Kaboombs before the fix were due mostly to reloaders running max or over rounds.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:56   #4
donovansn585

Mine is a gen3
Old 04-06-2013, 20:49   #5
man.cave

maybe changed but not fixed. I have shot several gen 4 glock 40 cals and they all will put a slight bulge in about 80% of the brass. I doubt the brass will easily slide in and out of a gauge. If i practice with a Glock barrel, i keep the brass and run it through the lee bulge buster and then don't use that brass in a Glock barrel again just a lone wolf or something. Again this is just for the 40.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49   #6
donovansn585

I even mic'ed the hell out of some cases too try to find the bulge but no luck everything measured the same, out of spec but evenly out of spec. Ran them thru my new rcbs die and now they all measure perfect. Thanks Sean
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34   #7
sgt rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecop203 View Post
The Glock bulge you're referring to is caused by unsupported chambers. You didn't mention what generation or the age of the gun.

It really should be stated as "not as fully supported as other makers ".
sgt rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15   #8
roundball

My Gen. 4 G23 will swell cases slightly above the web area. This is not to be confused with the serious bulge where the case head flowed in an unsupported area. Cases from the G22 2nd. Gen and G23 are loadable as is but the Redding push through die used anyway. Cases will go freely into the gauge. The real problem has been shooting 10mm cases fired in the stock G20 barrel in an aftermarket barrel. This makes the mother of all jams. Again, the push through die make all this a non-problem. Another way to minimize swelling is to back off on the load. Glock has no monopoly on swelling-There is a German plastic pistol that will cream brass with heavy loads in 45 ACP.
roundball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:53   #9
man.cave

just remember 40 is a high pressure round and the constant bulging in one area and resizing that area just seems to me that it wouldn't allow for as many reuses, Of all the different cals i reload i do find the most cracked brass in the 40. Again that is just my observation. I can take pics of bulged brass out of a gen 4 27 and 23 if need be.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48   #10
carpboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecop203 View Post

Which 40 S&W glocks had the "unsupported chamber"?Did Glock do an"upgrade" to these earlier Gen pistols?I have a Gen2 G23 that is NIB and had not been fired AFIK.I am thinking of getting a Storm Lake 40/9mm conversion barrel for this pistol so I can have it for a backup for my EDC G19.Of course that would mean taking it out to the range and shooting a bunch of 40S&W and 9mm thru it.With the ammo situation now it is easier to find 40S&W than 9mm so that project may have to wait for a while.
Old 04-09-2013, 18:30   #11
Glock 1

Do minimal loads bulge 40 brass too or is it just the mid to high end loads?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:51   #12
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovansn585 View Post
Mine is a gen3
I have gen 3 22, 27 and 35. Never had any bulging from these. Have picked up unknown brass in the past from the range that has shown these symptoms.
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 19:07   #13
man.cave

usually factor loads will do it
Old 04-09-2013, 19:36   #14
roundball

When I first started to load 40S&W it was in a HK Compact. The first Glock I loaded for was a G27. The concern was related to the propaganda concerning KB's in Glocks. When quizzed on this, one of the major reloading manufacturers had an interesting comment. Most of the trouble came from folks recklessly loading to the max and beyond. The suggestion was made to use the detached barrel as a gauge for the reloaded cartridges and stick with reasonable loads. My feelings about this whole bulging matter was resolved for me seeing a Glock 40cal. barrel that was bulged from shooting a live round after a squib load. The pistol held together. I have never had a split case in a Glock 40. With the amount of 40 S&W brass around why take risks. I still prefer to use the Redding push through die.
roundball is offline   Reply With Quote