Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:40   #1
scottydl

AR-15 magazines TIGHT

I am LEO and carry an AR-15 on duty daily. Rock River lower, Del-ton upper and internal parts, and several Magpul accessories. Other than range qualification, the most action the rifle has seen (so far) is this:

(1) Beginning of shift: Function check, into the bag & trunk
(2) End of shift: Out of the trunk, back into my locker

Lately when I remove the magazine and function check, the mag has been REALLY tight in the well. So tight that it's difficult to depress the release button and strip the mag out. What's going on?

They are cheapish metal mags... maybe it's time to upgrade to P-mags. Does the pressure of internal spring or constantly-loaded rounds push the metal outward over time? Or is there something in the mag well or lower receiver I should be looking at? Obviously I want this rifle to be in good working condition, should I ever need to deploy it!
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32   #2
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Define "cheapish metal mag", as aluminum USGI magazines are what the system was designed around. Chances are, it is the lower and not the magazines if it is tight with aluminum mags (provided they're of decent quality - NHMGT/Colt or D&H, or one of the many stores that contracts from them).

If you're experiencing tight USGI magazines, Magpul Pmags will most likely be either the same or worse. Is the lower coated with anything like Teflon or paint?

Lastly, USGI aluminum magazines (and Pmags too) can bulge. If they're doing this, replace them. To test if the welds are weakening, load the magazine and give the bottom a solid smack. If a round(s) come out, it's time to send the magazine to dump.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42   #3
lilglockboy

Check to see if the mags may have been bent or crimped in some way from being in the back trunk. Also if they are new mags maybe to much coating. Wait until they wear.
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56   #4
samuse

Sounds like a bunch of junk.

Either the lower is out of spec or something is wrong with your magazine.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58   #5
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

I would suggest you upgrade to Pmags when you get the chance. I firmly believe that are the best mags around.

Keeping it loaded should not negatively effect a quality mag, either the body or the springs.

When I was in the Corps we would put together ordnance packages for each of our anticipated missions for Air Alert and forward deployment. The packages included pre-loaded rifle mags. The packages would be loaded onto pallets, segregated by mission, and stored in the ship's magazine. When needed a package could be brought up and distributed within minutes.

Some of those mags would stay loaded to capacity for the better part of a year. Then our battalion Gunner would pull random mags and test for function. We never had a mag not function properly.

What wears a mag out is constant movement of the springs. Not compression. A properly made mag should also not show any deformation simply because it is loaded, or kept loaded.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

As others have stated,....mag or receiver issue.

I have always preferred straight USGI 20 round mage over all others.
They are built like tanks, never an issue with followers.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32   #7
BenjiEDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
I am LEO and carry an AR-15 on duty daily. Rock River lower, Del-ton upper and internal parts, and several Magpul accessories. Other than range qualification, the most action the rifle has seen (so far) is this:

Lately when I remove the magazine and function check, the mag has been REALLY tight in the well. So tight that it's difficult to depress the release button and strip the mag out. What's going on?

They are cheapish metal mags... maybe it's time to upgrade to P-mags. Does the pressure of internal spring or constantly-loaded rounds push the metal outward over time? Or is there something in the mag well or lower receiver I should be looking at? Obviously I want this rifle to be in good working condition, should I ever need to deploy it!
Are you loading all 30 rounds in a USGI mag and inserting on a closed bolt? Cause that's a known issue.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45   #8
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

does it do the same with an empty or downloaded mag?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53   #9
scottydl

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Additional note, I've had this combo for 1-2 years and this too-tightly-fit just started within the last week. When in the trunk, the rifle + mags are kept in a padded rifle bag. That doesn't mean they won't bounce around a bit and risk damage, but they are protected somewhat.

I'm not sure if these mags are USGI or not. I bought 5 of them NIP from someone here on GT a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
Are you loading all 30 rounds in a USGI mag and inserting on a closed bolt? Cause that's a known issue.
Knew about that and I keep 28 rounds loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
does it do the same with an empty or downloaded mag?
I thought of testing that and will try it out when I get back to work tomorrow.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41   #10
pag23

Do the mags function at the range when shooting? Any issues with fail to feed or any other malfunction?

Is it doing this with all the mags or just one?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32   #11
lilglockboy

Test put a new mag. Preferably a pmag. If it works then toss the other ones that do not work in the trash.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32   #12
Tom P

I'm a fan of P-Mags, but I had a Superior lower that P-Mags would not fit in. No problems with USGI mags.

The USGI mags are aluminum, are your tight mags aluminum?
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39   #13
lilglockboy

[QUOTE=Tom P;20170337]I'm a fan of P-Mags, but I had a Superior lower that P-Mags would not fit in. No problems with USGI mags.

Agree, I love p-mags and I also love my fusil mags. I would say just test other mags any kind and see if that helps. I actually had a noveske lower that would not drop empty p-mags. I sold that to a not so close friend.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42   #14
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

If they worked well for awhile and then started getting hard to inset/remove I would say then mags are swelling. See if you can check them in another rifle and other mags in yours.
Easiest way to check. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 13:30   #15
PaLEOjd

Quote:

What is the name on the floorplates of your duty mags? We were issued "Parsons Precision Products" AR mags with the green followers years ago BUT have the option to use our personally owned PMags if we elect to do so. Never had a problem from the USGI mags.
Old 04-09-2013, 14:05   #16
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
If they worked well for awhile and then started getting hard to inset/remove I would say then mags are swelling. See if you can check them in another rifle and other mags in yours.
Easiest way to check. Hope this helps.

Yeah sounds to me like a mag issue if it just started happening.

Unless you've been feeding your AR high-fat ammo or something, I doubt the lower would suddenly swell up.
Old 04-09-2013, 14:14   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
I'm not sure if these mags are USGI or not. I bought 5 of them NIP from someone here on GT a couple years ago.
Sound like it's time for some new mags.......
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 15:14   #18
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
Unless you've been feeding your AR high-fat ammo or something, I doubt the lower would suddenly swell up.
He didn't say the lower was swelling, but that the MAGAZINE may be swelling. That is a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 15:22   #19
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99er View Post
He didn't say the lower was swelling, but that the MAGAZINE may be swelling. That is a possibility.

It was a joke dude.
Old 04-09-2013, 15:58   #20
cfrye11

When's the last time the gun was cleaned ? Any time you have an issue you should start with a fresh cleaned gun.

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote