Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2013, 15:23   #41
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
You ever used aluminum mags with yours?
It came with aluminum mags that worked fine, but I prefer the PMags.

Last edited by dudel; 04-14-2013 at 15:27..
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14   #42
scottydl

Quote:
E-mail sent to them and I will advise on the response I receive. Frankly I'm not too worried about the cost of a couple aluminum magazines (since I've heard mags in general should be replaced every so often anyway), but C Products seems to stand behind their gear. So we'll see!
Unfortunately I haven't heard squat back from CProducts in reference to their website-based email I sent them over 2 weeks ago. I wish companies wouldn't provide those "Contact Us" pages if they have no intent on answering incoming messages.

Doesn't really matter now, as the magazine fairy brought me a couple far-superior products to replace the defective aluminum ones:

Black Rifle Forum
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19   #43
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

I'm a little late to the party here but several things from the OP struck me as shocking. Dude, you are an LEO and this is your duty rifle. PLEASE get more reliable equipment. I've made some remarks below to the original post:

Quote:
I am LEO and carry an AR-15 on duty daily. Rock River lower, Del-ton upper and internal parts, and several Magpul accessories. Other than range qualification, the most action the rifle has seen (so far) is this:

(1) Beginning of shift: Function check, into the bag & trunk
(2) End of shift: Out of the trunk, back into my locker

Comment: This is a rifle you carry daily and both your life, possibly a partner's life, and live's of citizens rely on the rifle, and the most action it sees is a function check and range qualification? DUDE. Why don't you shoot the rifle more? Does your dept. provide you with ammo and the opportunity to train with your weapon? Also, the Del-Ton upper really is sub-par, and if your dept. has other approved uppers, it would be advisable to go with a more dependable upper.

Lately when I remove the magazine and function check, the mag has been REALLY tight in the well. So tight that it's difficult to depress the release button and strip the mag out. What's going on?

They are cheapish metal mags... maybe it's time to upgrade to P-mags. Does the pressure of internal spring or constantly-loaded rounds push the metal outward over time? Or is there something in the mag well or lower receiver I should be looking at? Obviously I want this rifle to be in good working condition, should I ever need to deploy it!

COMMENT: Cheapish metal mags? Is this the best your dept. can provide for you? Again, this is a duty weapon. Why is cost spared? How much is a life worth if the magazine and weapon are non-functional when called upon? Get some PMAGS immediately and toss these cheap metal non-functioning magazines into the back of your range bag for range practice. And to the point about "should I ever need to deploy it, it could be anytime! Are you 100% confident in your weapon? If not, make it so immediately!

I don't mean to criticize or offend at all here OP, just want to perpetuate what I feel is a requirement of any weapon my life depends on. I feel a duty weapon qualifies and if it were me, this situation would be unacceptable. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. If you're department will allow personal purchases of things like PMAGS or other rifle accessories, please PM me. I can help out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37   #44
scottydl

I understand your comments, and always appreciate any suggestions to improve safety. In my particular case...

- I certified/qualified last Fall, and had never fired my rifle before that date. I had assembled it the previous year, but didn't want to develop any bad habits going to the range on my own. While assembling the rifle, I had no fit issues with the Del-ton upper. During the 2-day certification and various ranges of fire, I had no problems with the rifle function other than a general tightness that was explained to me (by our firearms instructor) as being typical with any brand new rifle not "broken in" through frequent handling yet. I bought the upper fully assembled and test-fired, it wasn't something I slapped together myself with minimal training.

- My agency does not provide rifle ammunition for practice beyond the initial qualification. I wish it were otherwise, but it's not. We only have range access one day per month when it gets warm during the Spring/Summer, and I certainly plan to take advantage of that when it starts.

- As I mentioned in my OP, I only noticed the magazine problems recently and of course I quickly brought the issue to the brain trust here at GT.

- My agency does not provide magazines (or any other equipment) for personal rifles, and as a rifle newbie I had no prior knowledge or experience with AR-15 components other than working with well-worn Colt equipment at an armorer's course several years ago.

- As you can see from my recent post above, I now have Magpul PMags. Until recently, they have been nearly impossible to acquire.

I would be happy to hear any further constructive comments you can offer.
Old 04-29-2013, 13:19   #45
PaLEOjd

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Get yourself a Colt LE6920, great proven duty rifle. You can find one for a decent price and receive the LEO discount from an authorized dealer.
I recently picked up another for under $1,200 at a local LE dealer with plenty in stock.
PMags will run fine, Lancer's are another good choice.

If you are interested in looking at a Colt for a decent price, PM me I can give me my LEO dealer information. They will ship it to FFL of your choice.

Last edited by PaLEOjd; 04-29-2013 at 13:19..
PaLEOjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 13:19   #46
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Not to dog your "firearms instructor" but he gave you a rather poor explanation.
Magazines and mag wells do not "break in". Some of the alloy USGI
mags swell at the top due to the pressure being exerted on the feed lips
from the ammunition and spring pressure. PMags are good, Tango Down
mags are good. HK mags are heavier, but built like tanks!

Oh yea,......take those CProducts mags behind shop and smash them with a hammer.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 04-29-2013 at 13:24..
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 14:33   #47
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Not to dog your "firearms instructor" but he gave you a rather poor explanation.
Magazines and mag wells do not "break in". Some of the alloy USGI
mags swell at the top due to the pressure being exerted on the feed lips
from the ammunition and spring pressure. PMags are good, Tango Down
mags are good. HK mags are heavier, but built like tanks!

Oh yea,......take those CProducts mags behind shop and smash them with a hammer.
This.

If your magazines are tight in your magwell, that isn't a "break in" issue.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 16:07   #48
scottydl

Just to clarify, the tight magazines were not suggested as being subject to break-in. That instructor comment was related more to just the overall smoothness (or lack thereof) of the rifle's firing process. My terminology may be lacking.

And yes, the two CProducts mags that were found to be swollen are GONE!
Old 04-29-2013, 17:01   #49
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Well that is surely not what I wanted to hear.
I would have hoped they would have stood behind their product no matter what. I will file that little tid bit for future reference.

I am also dismayed at your department not providing you adequate weapons, ammo, and equipment to get the job done. I know ammo is hard to get now, but still....

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 17:33   #50
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I am also dismayed at your department not providing you adequate weapons, ammo, and equipment to get the job done. I know ammo is hard to get now, but still....
My department's policies on firearms equipment are pretty typical to all others in my area. There is simply not enough rifle ammo in reserves for them to provide to every officer for practice. Just the reality of things now. Maybe other cities/states are different in that regard. We do get 100 rounds/month of handgun range ammo if we go to open range.

I have everything else I could possibly need equipment-wise, but rifle magazines and ammo do not fall into that category.
Old 04-29-2013, 17:38   #51
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
I understand your comments, and always appreciate any suggestions to improve safety. In my particular case...

- I certified/qualified last Fall, and had never fired my rifle before that date. I had assembled it the previous year, but didn't want to develop any bad habits going to the range on my own.
Whoever suggested you might develop bad habits shooting on your own, is wrong.

Go shoot your gun, a whole bunch! Your life and the people around you probably deserve better, especially if you are running around with a badge on.

Last edited by eyelikeglasses; 04-29-2013 at 17:39..
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 17:43   #52
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
Whoever suggested you might develop bad habits shooting on your own, is wrong.
I very strongly disagree.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 20:50   #53
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
Are you loading all 30 rounds in a USGI mag and inserting on a closed bolt? Cause that's a known issue.
yeppers.. if you download by one (or 2), it usually fixes this problem. If not, I would ditch that mag all together. I really doubt its a receiver issue.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41   #54
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Good to hear you have sorted this out Scotty'
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote