SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2013, 22:25   #21
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
Curious, how much smaller is the grip than a Gen 3 G20?
3mm on the backstrap, makes a huge difference for me.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02   #22
Sammael
Ich tu dir Weh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messer View Post
If you really like the way your Gen4 G-21 feels in your hand, hold off and get a Gen4 G-20.

While the Gen3 SF is better than the std. frame, the Gen4 feels better to me.

Take your (empty) Gen4 G-21 into the shop and hold them both and see if one is better for you.
Well, took Messer's advice - took in my Gen4 G21, compared them in my hand side by side, and given the fact that my G29SF is set up as it is, as well as how much I like the feel of my Gen4 G21 - I do believe I'm going to be holding off for the Gen4 G20.

Until then, the 29SF will suffice for carry, and a conversion barrel and the Gen4 21 will do for range time I suppose.

On the other side of things, regarding 'justifying on a forum' and bragging rights: Bragging rights just don't mean all that much to me these days, and the only person I have to justify myself to is the little lady.

In all seriousness though, thanks for all the sound advice (...the voices still say 'Buy it! Buy it!', lol). I just wasn't sure how much sense it made in light of owning what I already own... then again how many of us have ever really needed more convincing to buy another 10mm?

One thing I do know. I do need a G20 - no doubt about it. Just looks as though I will be waiting until he can find a Gen4.

Sooo... It looks as if the Gen4 has won out - for now. I can be patient until he can find one for me... I think.

If not, I know where the pics will be posted first.
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31   #23
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-7 View Post
Sooo... It looks as if the Gen4 has won out - for now. I can be patient until he can find one for me... I think.
That is a wise choice. The longer service life of the dual-spring RSA in the Gen4 G20, with less wear and tear on the frame as a bonus, and improved control with the Gen4 grip texture are both worthwhile improvements for 10mm shooting.

I'm curious why you won't rely on an aftermarket barrel for carry. Is it a matter of hardware reliability, or do you see it as a liability in the event the pistol is used in a SD shooting that ends up in court? I can understand either reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 04-13-2013 at 09:46..
GRT45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:50   #24
Sammael
Ich tu dir Weh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
I'm curious why you won't rely on an aftermarket barrel for carry. Is it a matter of hardware reliability, or do you see it as a liability in the event the pistol is used in a SD shooting that ends up in court? I can understand either reason.
Reliability. I have a lone wolf 40 to 9 conversion barrel - thousands and thousands of rounds downrange... never an issue.

But knowing my luck, if a conversion barrel is going to initiate a show-stopper, it will be when I need it most. Murphy's Law, and all that.

I know it may seem strange to some folks, but the way I figure it is: If I want to carry a given caliber, I will buy a factory gun in that caliber. After appropriate testing with my carry load, into the holster it goes... but something about carrying a firearm for SD in a caliber it was not originally chambered in... in my mind, just not worth it for SD.

For the range? All day, every day. Twice on Sundays even. But for SD, no conversions for me.

Guns are cheap. The lives of those I care about are irreplaceable.
Old 04-13-2013, 23:32   #25
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-7 View Post
Well, took Messer's advice - took in my Gen4 G21, compared them in my hand side by side, and given the fact that my G29SF is set up as it is, as well as how much I like the feel of my Gen4 G21 - I do believe I'm going to be holding off for the Gen4 G20.

Until then, the 29SF will suffice for carry, and a conversion barrel and the Gen4 21 will do for range time I suppose.

On the other side of things, regarding 'justifying on a forum' and bragging rights: Bragging rights just don't mean all that much to me these days, and the only person I have to justify myself to is the little lady.

In all seriousness though, thanks for all the sound advice (...the voices still say 'Buy it! Buy it!', lol). I just wasn't sure how much sense it made in light of owning what I already own... then again how many of us have ever really needed more convincing to buy another 10mm?

One thing I do know. I do need a G20 - no doubt about it. Just looks as though I will be waiting until he can find a Gen4.

If not, I know where the pics will be posted first.
Why do you NEED a G20? I ask b/c I'm curious if it fits ur purpose, is all. Not the usual and stale 'why do we really need anything' argument.
My first 10mm is my G20FS. Hands down my favorite Glock. I tried to use it as a CCW but to big in FL. Went down to local mil/LEO shop and got a G29SF for CCW. MUUCH NICER! I put mag extensions b/c I like the grip and a KKM std bbl for underwood ammo. Stock bbl maims too many of my precious cases for my liking... YMMV.
I honestly think the G20 is the most versatile and accurate 10mm HG's ul ever find.
Buy it, shoot it, sell it if you still want to and buy the G20 Gen4. You'll unload it fast if need be... But it would make a nice 'transformer' conversion range pistol!
Either way, enjoy. You have a nice problem to work out!
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 17:47   #26
Sammael
Ich tu dir Weh.

So I had a moment of weakness...

Test fire date of 3/21/13, UNU prefix. I did notice the 'cheaper' foam that others in General Glocking have posted about, but the G20 itself is schweeeeet.

So anyways, on with the (somewhat crappy cell phone) pics:

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

All in all, I'll probably get a Gen4 when I see one, but I think this will do for now.

Very happy, indeed.

Old 04-22-2013, 17:50   #27
countrygun

Very well done. Congratulations.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 19:26   #28
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Very sweet! Congratulations! You'll love it.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 19:31   #29
Sammael
Ich tu dir Weh.

I almost left out the best part:

I went into the shop, and there sat the owner - We BS'ed for a while, and I talked to him about the 10 rounders being kind of a bummer, among other things (also drooled over an M1A SOCOM he just got in)... When it was time to cash out, I said to him "$575 cash otd, right"?

He looked at me and said "You've been a good customer for a long time. Make it $550 out the door and we're good."

I smiled all the way home. Truly a good day.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37   #30
Slateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
3mm on the backstrap, makes a huge difference for me.
Really? That's it? I could take of that with a dremel ....
Slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47   #31
wlkjr

I put a Talon sandpaper grip on mine and it is much better now.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14   #32
VA Swamphunter
Old Mud Diver

Ya gotta love moments of weekness. Same thing happened to me with my G20
VA Swamphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16   #33
VA Swamphunter
Old Mud Diver

I mean weakness
VA Swamphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:13   #34
Slateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
I put a Talon sandpaper grip on mine and it is much better now.
I could see how a slimmer grip would be useful. I just thought it was more.
Slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:43   #35
wlkjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
I could see how a slimmer grip would be useful. I just thought it was more.
I wasn't very clear in my comment. Mine is an SF so it is a little slimmer. It's a handful and when your hand gets a little sweaty it doesn't have much grip. The Talon grip makes it feel really good in the hand.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 13:57   #36
Glockcubed

Get it. I just ordered a G20SF OD green from Glockmeister. One more for the collection.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02   #37
Bongo Boy

I see a G20 full-size and I'm thinking it may be a better fit for me. I have the 29SF and my trigger finger gets pretty hammered, in part because there's no way to shoot the gun without wrapping a bit of trigger finger around the trigger. I think the full-size may allow better trigger finger placement--uh, by 'better' I mean less finger extending past the trigger.

I always thought I had small hands with short, stubby sausage fingers. While frequenting an international guitar-centric music site, we took a poll. We specified how to measure the hand, and had all the members (about 15,000 I think, at the time) measure their hands. I did the data analysis and my hands were dead-nuts average among that group. And I can tell you, I have short sausage fingers.

I don't know what a full size looks or feels like or if it's really that much fatter. But, my thought is that, with the awesome, unimaginable power that is the 10mm, a little extra 'fat' in the grip would be very nice.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 05-02-2013 at 01:05..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18   #38
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post

I don't know what a full size looks or feels like or if it's really that much fatter. But, my thought is that, with the awesome, unimaginable power that is the 10mm, a little extra 'fat' in the grip would be very nice.
Well there is the matter of having control over the gun and some of us prefer to have "The gun IN our hand" as opposed to having "our hand ON the gun".

Of course, since it has the lanyard hole you could probably use that and some 550 cord to lash your hand to the gun before unleashing a 10mm round.

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 00:44   #39
zippyhuntin

I wear a L/XL glove and I think the grip is too big on the non-SF model. I'll probably try to trade my Gen3 for either a Gen4 or a RIA.
zippyhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:42   #40
blastfact

My wife is a small lady and she can shoot my G20 FS 3rd Gen and smile all the way to the kill zone with full house ammo.

Whats up with the 10 round mags? I would not buy it if your in a free state. But man-o-man a full house 10mm is sweet!

Congats! Your new G20 will be your weapon of choice real soon. The King of Glocks,,,, IS THE BEST GLOCK!
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote