SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 18:10   #1
361cop

Send a message via Yahoo to 361cop
Please school me on rifle plates

Hello everyone, I am not familiar with rifle plates and would like to be more educated before I spend on life saving protection.

I know there are different levels of soft body armor for pistol rounds, but what about rifle protection?

Are there soft plates? Hard plates? Ceramic plates? Trauma plate?

Are the levels for rifle plates the same as pistols or completely different?

I am currently looking at http://www.victorytacticalgear.com/s...fender-system/ for purchase.

Cop Talk

It comes with Level IV plates and the Banshee carrier. Are they soft or hard or ceramic?

I know I'm not the only one who is clueless when it comes to rifle plates, so I hope this thread will also benefit others in the same boat.

Thanks in advance.
361cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 19:07   #2
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

There are no soft rifle plates. ALL level III and IV plates are hard. No exceptions.

Personally, I'm skeptical of the plates you linked. I suspect that they're steel, based on the weight and cost. They appear to be using a RhinoLiner substance to coat them and catch spall. There wouldn't be anything wrong with that, if they'd step up and say so. Instead, I see a lot of weaseling: "Tested to NIJ standards" instead of "NIJ certified". No mention of construction. Their major distributor (jerk the trigger) is an AirSoft outlet. Go to bulletproofme.com and get some more professional assistance.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 19:19   #3
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
There are no soft rifle plates. ALL level III and IV plates are hard. No exceptions.

Personally, I'm skeptical of the plates you linked. I suspect that they're steel, based on the weight and cost. They appear to be using a RhinoLiner substance to coat them and catch spall. There wouldn't be anything wrong with that, if they'd step up and say so. Instead, I see a lot of weaseling: "Tested to NIJ standards" instead of "NIJ certified". No mention of construction. Their major distributor (jerk the trigger) is an AirSoft outlet. Go to bulletproofme.com and get some more professional assistance.
Except they look thicker. Steel plates with rhino should only be about $160 for a pair.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 20:18   #4
Kahr_Glockman

I just got some Maxpro ceramics. $179 apiece from Quartermaster Uniforms.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 21:01   #5
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Heres a good thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...t=rifle+plates

Also, check out www.bulletproofme.com it has a lot of info regarding different armor.

For rifle plates you will be looking at either ceramic, steel, or hybrid plates. Ceramic will generally be the cheapest, but also the heaviest. You need to decide between level 3 stand alone/in conjunction and level 4 stand alone/in conjunction. I have level 4 in conjunction plates which means they are level 4 when worn with my soft armor supporting.

Here is a thread on m4 by Dr. Gary Roberts, it has a description of the different types of plates and a link to a review of different level 3 plates used for patrol:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19910

The banshee carrier is good to go, just make sure you need 10x12 and not 11x14.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09   #6
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I like the high density plastics.. They perform very well with multiple and I mean like dump a magazine or two hits.....
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06   #7
imaguy3

here's a recent thread on rifle plates too...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1481743
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote