Old 04-12-2013, 11:45   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Police, ‘anti-gun’ prosecutor clash with soldiers in area around Fort Hood

Police, ‘anti-gun’ prosecutor clash with soldiers in area around Fort Hood

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/12/po...#ixzz2QGwU8I8t
--------------------

Can anyone provide a local insight on this?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28   #2
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

So in Bell county LEO/DA get to make up the law as they go?

And we're depending on justice system to not follow unconstitutional law(s) if passed*? Yeah right.

*and many examples already exist- I still see no LEO refusing to act on them.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 13:43   #3
CW Mock

Really wish there was more than the little clip. Something doesn't feel right about all that.

Maybe it's just me, where I'm at and where I am from, but a man with a gun isn't always trouble or "dangerous."

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 14:20   #4
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
Really wish there was more than the little clip. Something doesn't feel right about all that.

Maybe it's just me, where I'm at and where I am from, but a man with a gun isn't always trouble or "dangerous."

But your not looking at the overall agenda involved in this "event". (sarcasm)

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:19   #5
indigent
Bamboozled

I'll agree that something doesn't feel right about the whole story...

I will happily agree about the "atttitude" of some of those guys/girls coming out of Ft. Hood and mingling with the motoring public.
Old 04-12-2013, 15:53   #6
Cav

Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham, a conservative military blogger and vocal gun rights activist, was arrested March 16 in Temple, Texas, after a scuffle with a local police officer.

The incident unfolded after someone spotted Grisham carrying “an assault-style rifle” as he and his teenage son wearing cammo were walking near the Temple airport west of town, said Temple Police Department spokesman Cpl. Chris Wilcox.

Wilcox said walking on a road with a rifle is not against the law, but “if you have an AR15 or an assault weapon of some type and someone calls that in, we're going to go and investigate it. I imagine any police department in the country is going to do that in light of all of the shootings that have taken place.”

An officer was dispatched to check things out. Wilcox said the officer approached Grisham and told him to set down the loaded rifle that was slung across his chest so the two could talk.

Instead, Grisham “became very irate and angry and yelled at the officer he was not going to take his gun,” Wilcox said.

A scuffle ensued, with the officer eventually drawing his service pistol and pinning Grisham against the patrol car until backup units arrived. A search also revealed that Grisham, a counterintelligence agent stationed at nearby Fort Hood, was carrying a concealed .45 pistol, for which he had a permit.

Grisham was booked into the county jail for resisting arrest and released the same day on $2,500 cash bail. Formal charges are pending.

“I absolutely, in the strongest terms possible, reject and deny any wrongdoing or charges against me,” Grisham wrote in an email. He declined to comment further.

The arrest came the same weekend Grisham was quoted in Military Times defending gun rights for troops with post-traumatic stress. He has been open about his own diagnoses following tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A few days earlier, Grisham appeared before the Temple City Council urging members to pass a resolution protecting private gun ownership.

Grisham has launched an online fundraiser to help pay the legal costs associated with his arrest, which he has dubbed the “2nd Amendment Legal Defense Fund.”

“By helping me fight for my rights, you are helping to fight for the rights of all Americans!” Grisham writes on the Indiegogo fundraising site, where he hopes to raise $11,000.

“No one should have to fear being illegally disarmed without warrant, especially someone who has never committed a crime in his life. There is an overt attempt to disarm Americans, and especially veterans, in this country.”

So far, more than 80 supporters have contributed more than $6,000.

Wilcox said Grisham's arrest is not about gun rights.

“Temple, Texas, is a Second Amendment supporter,” he said. “I personally support people's right to keep and bear arms. … It's a simple officer safety thing. The safety of my officers is paramount. If an officer asks you to put down a loaded weapon so he can speak to you, anyone should comply with that.”
Old 04-12-2013, 16:00   #7
Cav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post

And we're depending on justice system to not follow unconstitutional law(s) if passed*? Yeah right.

I can tell you that the Temple PD is made up of many Military Veterans, and National Guard members. I know many of the officers and they are pro 2nd Amendment. I know they have their fair share of shootings with idiots.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/S...159375165.html

Now there is another soldier who carried a weapon into the same Hospital who was arrested and had a CHL.

Other than that, most of the news about this is over hyped to make pro gun nuts feel more justified in there dumb actions.

If you are pro gun and support what Grisham did with his M4, think about how CA had open carry laws, as Grisham little stunt could take away long guns in public if the trends keep up.
Old 04-12-2013, 16:28   #8
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

I am sensing that there has to be more to this story.
Old 04-12-2013, 16:38   #9
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I can tell you that the Temple PD is made up of many Military Veterans, and National Guard members. I know many of the officers and they are pro 2nd Amendment. I know they have their fair share of shootings with idiots.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/S...159375165.html

Now there is another soldier who carried a weapon into the same Hospital who was arrested and had a CHL.

Other than that, most of the news about this is over hyped to make pro gun nuts feel more justified in there dumb actions.

If you are pro gun and support what Grisham did with his M4, think about how CA had open carry laws, as Grisham little stunt could take away long guns in public if the trends keep up.
Am I correct in assuming a call for MWAG more than satisfies the requirements for a Terry stop, and in the process of that, it's perfectly legal for LEO to disarm the person stopped for the duration of the stop, upheld repeatedly by the cops for officer safety?

I'm thinking had he cooperated, if they still ended up arresting him, or confiscating his guns, he'd have a hell of a case.

As it stands, could his actions have screwed himself into a valid arrest instead? Or are both sides full of hot air in this case?

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 16:49   #10
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

An activist, thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-12-2013, 16:59   #11
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Tagged

Old 04-12-2013, 17:44   #12
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Well, he got the attention he wanted. I suspect his top kick won't be impressed.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:07   #13
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Am I correct in assuming a call for MWAG more than satisfies the requirements for a Terry stop, and in the process of that, it's perfectly legal for LEO to disarm the person stopped for the duration of the stop, upheld repeatedly by the cops for officer safety?

I'm thinking had he cooperated, if they still ended up arresting him, or confiscating his guns, he'd have a hell of a case.

As it stands, could his actions have screwed himself into a valid arrest instead? Or are both sides full of hot air in this case?

Randy
I have no doubt that his attitude and actions paid a big part in his arrest.

What I am curious about, is the resisting arrest charge. The actual offense here in Texas is "Resisting Arrest, Search, or Transportation". In order to resist arrest, you have to have an arrestable offense (for which to resist) in the first place. He obviously didn't resist transportation, so I'm wondering if they're going with resisting a search.

I guess it could be argued that he was interfering with public duties, but I would think they should have charged him with that as well.

The officer could have possibly handled it differently as well. The last thing I would do (if I could avoid it), if I were talking to someone holding a gun who refused to put it down, would be to go hands on. Especially without backup already on scene. There are way too many ways that could turn out badly.

On the surface it looks like it could've probably been handled better by more effective communication on both sides.

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Last edited by txleapd; 04-12-2013 at 18:14..
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:10   #14
GunHo198

It's Us Verses them....
Old 04-12-2013, 18:59   #15
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

One thing is certain, people who seek confrontations often find them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Old 04-12-2013, 20:08   #16
Cav

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I have no doubt that his attitude and actions paid a big part in his arrest.

What I am curious about, is the resisting arrest charge. The actual offense here in Texas is "Resisting Arrest, Search, or Transportation". In order to resist arrest, you have to have an arrestable offense (for which to resist) in the first place. He obviously didn't resist transportation, so I'm wondering if they're going with resisting a search.

I guess it could be argued that he was interfering with public duties, but I would think they should have charged him with that as well.

The officer could have possibly handled it differently as well. The last thing I would do (if I could avoid it), if I were talking to someone holding a gun who refused to put it down, would be to go hands on. Especially without backup already on scene. There are way too many ways that could turn out badly.

On the surface it looks like it could've probably been handled better by more effective communication on both sides.

Quote:
§ 38.03. RESISTING ARREST, SEARCH, OR
TRANSPORTATION. (a) A person commits an offense if he
intentionally prevents or obstructs a person he knows is a peace officer or a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction from effecting an arrest, search, or transportation of the actor or another by using force against the peace officer or another.
(b) It is no defense to prosecution under this section that the arrest or search was unlawful.
(c) Except as provided in Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(d) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the actor uses a deadly weapon to resist the arrest or search.
I think the final charge was Interfering with the dutys of a Peace Officer.

At first he failed to give up his M4 that was carried in the ready with a sling. He wanted the attention, he just did not know as much about Texas laws as he thought;

Think carefully, about your words, movement, body language, and emotions.
Don't get into an argument with the police.
Remember, anything you say or do can be used against you.
Keep your hands where the police can see them.
Don't touch any police officer.
The police do have the right to disarm you if they feel the need.
Do not resist even if you believe you are innocent.

The real issue is that Soldier messed up, and now the Military will let him go in convicted, so he is fighting to keep his job. he is using all media outlets he can, using the term hunting rifle vs M4 or AR type weapon.

The area is pro military and odds are he will not be found guilty in court (most soldiers get away with everything but murder, on a real note). But he is now trying everything he can to get attention and money.

The more stink he makes, the more I hope they find him guilty.
Old 04-12-2013, 20:32   #17
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post

Jeff82,

Now that we have some more information, any thoughts to share?

Old 04-12-2013, 21:02   #18
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I've been at Ft. Hood before, and in the area around it. Definitely pro-gun, so I'm surprised anyone even called in a guy with his kid walking with a rifle.

Sounds like the soldier handled it badly, as did the police. If they had both made reasonable attempts to have a discussion rather than a confrontation, I think it would have worked out fine. Egos often get in the way, people want to display power, and thus they don't back down.

He had the right to carry the gun, the officer had the right to detain and disarm him. But really, walking with your kid, is that really a "bad guy?" The officer used poor judgement in being confrontational. The soldier used poor judgement in not obeying any commands he was given.

Fortunately, nobody was harmed, and they all live to see another day. Or to bother each other next week if they keep acting immaturely.....

Cheers....

p.s. I think I had the worst espresso in my life at a small shop in Killeen TX. (Ft. Hood)
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 21:12   #19
Patchman
Florist

And what is Jeff's history of personally participating in civil activitism?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 04-12-2013 at 22:17..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 22:58   #20
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
...The last thing I would do (if I could avoid it), if I were talking to someone holding a gun who refused to put it down, would be to go hands on. Especially without backup already on scene. There are way too many ways that could turn out badly...

Bingo.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote